• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Motor mounts for hot-ish street motor

sam1904

HI all,
I recently dropped a warm / hot street motor (10.5:1, 302 Cam, 40’s etc…130-150Hp) into my 4 spd 76’ 2002 and also swapped to AKG motor mounts. After driving it 500 miles or so the mounts have changed the feel of the car to a point it is no longer a ‘fun weekend car’……everything rattles and the harsh vibrations just kill the feeling of it!
What are the thoughts on using stock, or ‘stocker’ mounts with this motor?
Am I correct that with some finesse these can be changed with the motor in place?
Thanks
Sam

2022 Defender 110 30th Edition

1976 BMW 2002 - Evolving...

It seems like fresh BMW rubber mounts should be up for it.  (But I don't have an informed opinion).  I would suggest using the rectangular style on the driver's side and having the L shaped limiting strap/bracket on the passenger's side.  Marshal says you can bend the steel tab down on the driver's side mount, to limit the amount that the engine can twist.

Polyurethane is nice on the sway bar mounts/ends and the alternator mounts.  Other than that, I'm a fan of rubber.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with the fresh rubber stock mounts for a street car.  I tried the IE polyurethane mounts many years ago and there was so much vibration I couldn't see out my center rear view mirror. I ran a hot m10 (dual 40's, 304 cam, etc) for many years with stock rubber mounts and it was fine on track and on the street.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

Consider that AFAIK the factory used the same motor mounts on their 170 hp Turbo that they did on the 85 hp 1600...sounds like stock mounts should work for your engine...

mike

• Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Poly engine mounts in a street car with a non counter balanced 4 cyl is not an acceptable combination in my opinion. 

The grip accelerating through a rough corner was impressive without the engine flopping around like a fish, though. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Dudeland said:

eh hem... does anybody what a set of poly motor mounts LOL.   I got them just in case the turbo started to flex things too much.  In the back of my mind I always knew that they were super harsh. 

Ahem, TWO pairs! ?

• Haha 1

2022 Defender 110 30th Edition

1976 BMW 2002 - Evolving...

8 hours ago, Mike Self said:

Consider that AFAIK the factory used the same motor mounts on their 170 hp Turbo that they did on the 85 hp 1600...sounds like stock mounts should work for your engine...

mike

The turbo included a special right side engine mount (#10)(rubber) and dampener #9 (shock absorber) to help limit engine movement. Graphic from RealOEM 

F9336E8A-8F2D-4F97-99BC-4AC3BAF8491F.jpeg

Edited by jgerock
  • Like 2

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

...another vote for regular old rubber, for a street car...

hell, when the poly left mount came apart on the race car,

I just stuck a rubber one in there.  It was fine.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL