• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tii Replacement Engine

tomphot

I am finishing the rebuild of the original engine for my ‘72 Tii and taking the replacement engine out.  In 1987, the original owner ordered a new Tii engine from BMW, I wanted to document what had been in the car.  The block was cast in 1982 and the head in 1987.  I’ve seen previous comments about the replacements that people received being older refurbished engines, this doesn’t seem to be the case.   A lot of interesting markings where the VIN would normally be, any ideas on what those mean?

C403E57B-B8A8-4C50-A1F2-6904A21E0755.jpeg

87CD7B87-2F56-4FD0-8039-C964BDA2004A.jpeg

19D3EC9D-6F9C-4E6B-BB7B-3A5ECC9DDF52.jpeg

• Like 1

'72 2002Tii Inka   2760698
'65 Porsche 356SC

I don’t know specifically what these markings mean but I’m interested to find out, for no other reason than I’m 02-geeky enough to love this kind of stuff. ?

Thanks for posting the pictures and I’m looking forward to the more knowledgeable folks chiming in.

16 hours ago, tomphot said:

I am finishing the rebuild of the original engine for my ‘72 Tii and taking the replacement engine out.  In 1987, the original owner ordered a new Tii engine from BMW, I wanted to document what had been in the car.  The block was cast in 1982 and the head in 1987.  I’ve seen previous comments about the replacements that people received being older refurbished engines, this doesn’t seem to be the case.   A lot of interesting markings where the VIN would normally be, any ideas on what those mean?

C403E57B-B8A8-4C50-A1F2-6904A21E0755.jpeg

87CD7B87-2F56-4FD0-8039-C964BDA2004A.jpeg

19D3EC9D-6F9C-4E6B-BB7B-3A5ECC9DDF52.jpeg

I thought we had done this for your spare engine, Tom. But I’m probably thinking of other engines!

1. “22 TIUS” is the Engine Code for a tii replacement engine. I believe it is for an E12 head engine.

2. “A” signifies Exchange engine.

3. “0960” is the serial number assigned to this Exchange engine. The serial numbers (allegedly) reset each month.

4. Again, “A” signifies Exchange engine (“N” indicates a New engine).

5. “113” is the production month (up to 2 digits) and year (1 digit only). Thus, November 1983, or November 1993, or… Given what you’ve learned about the car and its engine replacement, the November 1983 date would appear to be correct. But… that means only the short block (block cast April 21, 1982) was remanufactured in 1983, and the head (cast May 1987) was a brand-spanking-new head in 1987, added to the exchange engine.

6. “1100 9 056 520” is the BMW part number.

7. The BMW Roundel signifies that the part is a GEN-U-WINE BMW part!

Brand new heads seem to be commonplace on exchange engines — I’m assuming head cores worth rebuilding were few and far between. But, yes, as you say, the block — obviously cast as a replacement part — might also have been new. So what justifies the “A” (Exchange) designation rather than an “N” (New) designation? Don’t know!

I believe I showed the pages of the T.R.I. (Technical Reference Information) 11 02 84, dated October 1985 in my article on Engine Identification. This T.R.I. provides the de-coding I’ve provided.

Here’s a direct link to TRI 11 02 84. But I find the link quite fugitive and un-dependable.

pdf;charset=UTF-8&X-Amz-Signature=e72c7f

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 3

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Thanks Steve, sorry I missed your article, great info there!  This is new to me.  
In your article, you used a picture you took of my block that you took in my garage maybe 5 years ago!  Until now I had never heard an explanation.  Good information to have for when I go to sell that replacement engine.  Now to determine a value, it only has 20K on it. 

• Like 1

'65 Porsche 356SC

I'm pretty sure that BMW replaced all the heads on the factory rebuilt engines it's easy to do when you control the casting process just melt the old head down and recast it, no worries mon it's cool.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

18 minutes ago, tomphot said:

Thanks Steve, sorry I missed your article, great info there!  This is new to me.  
In your article, you used a picture you took of my block that you took in my garage maybe 5 years ago!  Until now I had never heard an explanation.  Good information to have for when I go to sell that replacement engine.  Now to determine a value, it only has 20K on it. 

I suspect, Tom, that I decoded your engine in my mind, but forgot to tell you! Oops! ???

Best regards,

Steve

• Haha 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

20 hours ago, Conserv said:

1. “22 TIUS” is the Engine Code for a tii replacement engine. I believe it is for an E12 head engine.

I suspect the "US" portion of this code designates an engine meant for the US market...

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I remember the 74 US spec 2002 that I bought from another servicemember in Germany had a replacement 2002 motor from the factory that was installed by a dealership (Wogatzke BMW) in Kaiserslautern Germany   It had a plus sign stamped onto the block above the starter with a plus sign at each end of the VIN, +4224378+.  After my 2002 was totaled by a red light runner in CA in the mid 90's, the motor was salvaged and installed in one of Jack Fahuna's So Cal customers cars around 2003 time frame.

• Like 1

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

7 minutes ago, joebarthlow said:

area where you find the VIN on the block is blank,

These blocks are the wild card, the Joker of the BMW pack...they can be made into any identity with a simple stamping... Only @Conserv and a few others on planet earth might decipher casting dates and oil filter flanges to know the reality.

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

My tii's replacement block is only marked with two +'s spaced on each side of the number surface.  I assume this was only a replacement block and that the motor was re-assembled locally.  My car is a 73 with an E12 head.

As I said to Greg at BimmersRUs, it's better than a junk year block!

• Like 1

Frau Blucher - 73 tii

Captain Biggles - 66 Triumph TR4a

The block it's self was never available as a stand alone part, BMW did offer a short block which is most likely what was done to your car, I believe only the factory complete engines were provided with a rebuilt vin.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Pulling the engine tomorrow, took the hood off and radiator out.  I can now see the front of the engine and found this on the block just above the water pump. 

344C6C97-0CF5-423C-AB7C-0AC889D17046.jpeg

Edited by tomphot
  • Thanks 1

'65 Porsche 356SC