• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M10 Rebuild Shops in Southern California

David Werner

I am looking to get my 1974 2002 M10 rebuilt in Southern California.  I live in San Diego.  I was looking at Ireland Engineering but they don't appear to have full rebuilds anymore.  I saw an ad for SISEBMW in Hollywood.  They say they can rebuild it in 7 days for $3800 or swap me a rebuild in the same day.  This is a basic rebuild...  valve job, rings, rod bushing, rod bearings, main bearings, seals and gaskets, water pump, timing chain with guide kit, rebuild oil pump.  Does anyone have any experience with this shop or can recommend a shop.  My car is a daily driver so doesn't need to break any land speed records.  I want to make sure it is done right.  I do most things myself but don't have the time for an engine rebuild.

I would suspect any shop that is supposed to know the m10 engine quoting a rering job there's about a 75% chance your pistons and or bore will fail a close inspection. Are they including hot tanking and pressure testing the head? I'll second calling Carl there's nothing in a m10 he hasn't seen before. Your at the point where you can get a patched together old parts engine and hope it all works out or spend a bit more and get a basically new motor, your call.   

• Like 3

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Bill Holmes, Bavarian Rennsport in the hills east of Poway, west of Ramona

give him a call 1-760-789-2002

I first met Carl wrenching in Bill's shop, then off Morena in San Diego

machinist - A&P - UAV inspector.

'71 1600 parts car, '71 Nevada tii tribute, '73 Polaris automatic in assembly awaiting 5-speed, 3.90 LS and dual 40s

'61 R27 - '74 R90S - '83 R100RS

So many choices down south . . . try Spokane Washington. Bought CP-Carrillo pistons from VACmotorsports, under $800 with rings, new stock cam and rockers and shaft through IE, then had a machine shop whose focus is SBC do the machining/balance and assembly of the short block. Because it's a tii I had all standard bits, stock cam, 9.5 pistons had Wes Ingram service the KF pump and injectors (that service cost $2,400) so all done with 123 dizzy under $6k. Took my time with assembly, no leaks and runs fine. Much credit to the collective knowledge in this forum.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ScottA said:

Bill Holmes, Bavarian Rennsport in the hills east of Poway, west of Ramona

give him a call 1-760-789-2002

+1 on Bill Holmes.  Has done for me in the past.  Don't know how much actual wrenching Bill is doing these days.  His son has been filling in on some of the jobs.

Free car wash before delivery on my 1975 Mintgrun 2002!

Mark92131

2016-08-04 13.24.43.jpg

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

On 11/10/2021 at 12:03 PM, David Werner said:

I am looking to get my 1974 2002 M10 rebuilt in Southern California.  I live in San Diego.  I was looking at Ireland Engineering but they don't appear to have full rebuilds anymore.  I saw an ad for SISEBMW in Hollywood.  They say they can rebuild it in 7 days for $3800 or swap me a rebuild in the same day.  This is a basic rebuild...  valve job, rings, rod bushing, rod bearings, main bearings, seals and gaskets, water pump, timing chain with guide kit, rebuild oil pump.  Does anyone have any experience with this shop or can recommend a shop.  My car is a daily driver so doesn't need to break any land speed records.  I want to make sure it is done right.  I do most things myself but don't have the time for an engine rebuild.

Promising an M10 rebuild in 7 days - sight unseen and before tear-down - suggests the rebuild may not meet your 'done right' requirement, for reasons not a few (not the time to explain).

For a daily driver stock spec (presumed) M10, Jack is an option (though in my last conversation with him he said he's winding down, so you might check that). Bill Holmes is more local to you, and does nice work as well.

If you'd like a bit - or a lot - more performance, you may have to expand your search. In my engine-building experience, the amount of careful measuring, machining, assembly labor, etc. for a done-right stock build is roughly the same as a performance build (though a record-holding Bonneville engine would likely be more). -KB

• Like 4