• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New owner 1971 BMW 2002 sunroof

James Stein

Recently acquired late 1971 2002 sunroof , 4 speed coupe. #2573195 Great paint, straight body and pan. These were my priorities in that order. Unmodified engine and brakes in solid working order. Interior was recently restored. 

It is salt season here in the northeast so I have time to sort the minor gremlins. Also remove front overrider bar and install driving lights with dedicated relay. Cannot wait for spring! 

0853D651-9A95-4077-A3AC-59219CEB6ABF.jpeg

• Like 11

North American car exported out of the country and re-imported to the US? If you have an AMCO bumper bar on the rear I'll be first in line for that one if you decide to sell! Strange your belt and waist trim has been deleted but the side marker lamps/reflectors have been retained, and that there is a flag mirror on the passenger side of a LHD car. What was the original color? Schwarz (black) was very rare on 02s from the factory, particularly the Roundies.

You are very perceptive. No Amco bar on the back.  I am awaiting a reply from BMW to find out the original exterior and interior color. Belt trim: believe me I have wrestled with that. I like the way the car looks and at present will drive it with the clean look. 

Radios on US spec cars were all dealer (or owner) installed, so the antenna can end up on either side.  I installed the antenna on my '69 on the driver's side, so it wouldn't hit any low-hanging branches when parallel parking (there were a lot of 'em in Florida).  The antenna on my '73--dealer installed when the car was new--is on the right side.  Thus, either is "correct."

Also on US cars, a right side mirror was either dealer or owner installed; they never came that way from the factory.  

Not sure I've ever seen a roundie with a factory black paint job.  Looks very nice, though.  I'll be interested to see what BMW Classic has to say about where it was originally delivered and its original color.  Is the interior black or dark blue?

Welcome to the '02 fraternity/sorority. Hope to see you at Mid America or Vintage in the spring.

mike

• Like 4

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

VIN 2573195 is definitely a U.S.-spec 2002, probably manufactured late April or May 1971. It was factory-equipped with a manual transmission. The Archives report will provide the precise manufacturing date and the original exterior color. It will not, however, provide the original interior color — but, based on the factory exterior color, we can probably figure that out with a reasonable amount of certainty! Legal delivery — let me guess — which generally occurred before the car was loaded on the ship, was to Hoffman Motors Corp, a New York City-domiciled corporation and the sole U.S. importer. ?

Below is the entry from the BMW 2002 Car Club of Columbia’s VIN decoder.

Congrats!

Regards,

Steve

542CE86E-0D9F-417F-B0E6-8C7327699D13.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Thank you all for the information. Full disclosure: after decades of 912’s and 356’s I do not have the attention span for the originality bug anymore. I do respect all who do. The compromise I made on purchasing this solid car was the recently refreshed interior. While we wanted a light color to stay cool in the summer, white was not on my list! But given the excellent condition of the paint, body, chassis, suspension, brakes, engine etc., then seats and door panels are the least costly to correct for me over time. When I had the PPI done by an independent BMW mechanic he gave the car a “thumbs up” and said the only wart lowering the purchase price was the interior color. Again, thank you for all your comments. 

• Like 5

The person who restored the car has a foreign auto body shop. He apparently does 2 classic cars a year for his own projects on the side. I was told (fwiw) last year he did this car and a Giulietta. I was told he started with a non rusty 2002. Examination seems to substantiate this. 

He took some creative liberty with the elimination of the belt trim at the risk of devaluation. Since I was looking for a very clean driver vs a show car it is okay for me. 

No stainless belt moulding.  Was that optional on 2002s?

The belt molding is actually anodized aluminum from the factory, not stainless steel.  Not optional on the factory 2002, but not included on the Euro BMW 1500.  Those holes were most likely filled during the repaint to non factory Schwartz.

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Just to be clear... and as others have already said, there are two “levels” of mouldings missing:

1. The small anodized aluminum trim that circles the complete car. Although we typically refer to this as the “beltline” trim, a car’s true beltline lies at the base of the greenhouse, not at the body’s largest point.

2. The anodized aluminum and black rubber “knee trim”, located solely on the sides of the body, approximately half-way between the rocker panel moulding and the aforementioned and mis-labeled “beltline” moulding. This knee trim was introduced in April 1971 with the introduction of the Modell 71, of which this car is an early example. The knee trim aligns with the front and rear bumpers, to which a coordinating black rubber rub strip was also added with the Modell 71. Below is the package BMW began offering in 1972 so one could make their pre-Modell 71 look, “like a Modell 71” car!

I realize that the new owner is happy with his car, as is. I just want to clarify the missing components for those less familiar with the Modell 71 revisions.

Regards

Steve

F356E0C4-44D7-4AE5-B319-36E807FBC416.jpeg

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)