• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where does the market take this BaT offering?

joysterm

Plus: No pics showing the complete condition of the dash (it looks good I think but hard to tell). No sunroof (I personally don't care about that but again for that kind of money I want the options). Not Inka (I like Balkai but yeah, again not for that kind of money). Still, I reckon the buyer figured a concours judge owned vehicle so a total no muss no fuss purchase. But what do I know, I'm just a caveman.

Congrat's COOP, heard you got an amazing offer when I got into Monterey that Tuesday evening. The guys were pretty sure you accepted.

Saw Mike P's car in Pacific Grove at Mattison's. Gave it a quick look and was very impressed with it and thought 'damn that's nice'. Won the 2002 Class at Legends. Knew it would do well, never expected it to go to $93.5K then again neither did Mike P. or anyone else.

From the comments by the high bidder on BaT, it's heading to Vermont, so that makes the new owner part of the Nor'East '02ers. Hope to see the car at Lime Rock over Labor Day Weekend for Sunday in the Park. We'll see.   

IMG_4060.JPG

Edited by adawil2002
  • Thanks 1

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Well, I guess this means my retirement business plan's not a total bust, after all.  

I think I can build that car for less.

I won't make all that much hourly, but, hell, I'll be retired.

t

who can no longer afford to buy a 2002

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I would be embarrassed to let people know I paid 95K for a 2002.  It’s not a Ferrari.

I’m just jealous because I don’t have 95K to spend on my hobby unless I sell my house. But still that’s stupid money except maybe the inca Mobile Tradition 2002tii build. Wonder what that would sell for now?

Other than Roy's orange beast (and maybe the $70k Malaga tii from last year), the examples that have sold for high dollars have been pretty strict, stock restos.  It is strange to think that luxuries like 320is Recaros, an e21 5-speed and LSD, and an era appropriate aftermarket leather steering wheel might detract from the value.  

I guess it depends on where you are in the market.  If you're aiming to build a $100k+ concourse winner tii, you're not building a driver and those luxuries don't matter as much.  But, I can't imagine having a driver tii without these luxuries.  

Maybe these big prices will trigger some Singer-like restomods in the 2002 world. I'd love to have a Singer Porsche, and Singer-like tii restomod would be right up there on my list.

Josh (in Dallas)

'72 tii

24 minutes ago, g_force said:

Other than Roy's orange beast (and maybe the $70k Malaga tii from last year), the examples that have sold for high dollars have been pretty strict, stock restos.  It is strange to think that luxuries like 320is Recaros, an e21 5-speed and LSD, and an era appropriate aftermarket leather steering wheel might detract from the value.  

I guess it depends on where you are in the market.  If you're aiming to build a $100k+ concourse winner tii, you're not building a driver and those luxuries don't matter as much.  But, I can't imagine having a driver tii without these luxuries.  

Maybe these big prices will trigger some Singer-like restomods in the 2002 world. I'd love to have a Singer Porsche, and Singer-like tii restomod would be right up there on my list.

Or, even help the original Singers. ^_^

130_3007.jpg.cb0209b7ae6ed6695232ceed548d9417.jpg

131_3138.jpg.6ea6fd1306f9942798bb2041439326fc.jpg

IMG_3782.jpg.c33fd27411468cd19fc111fe440b710d.jpg

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Obviously there are some "collectors" that look for pristine examples.  The best case is the time warp car someone stashed away and never drove, I seem to remember a 911T some years ago that had like 4k miles on it (original miles) that fit that bill.  After that is a restored example where the restorer did an exemplary job of bringing the car back to the original standard - correct hoses, hose clamps, plated parts in the right places in the right colors (all too often you see folks go crazy with gold/yellow zinc plating on everything) etc., etc., etc., Daniel Coopers Tii I think fits this bill.  In many ways that car was probably better than one that came off the factory floor (lets face it a car can only be that way one time), close enough though for someone collecting high end cars (of which I think a tii has moved into now) to want/need to have in a collection - and apparently willing to pay for it.  Its hard to gauge what cars are worth, I have been asked many times about selling it and if I were how much it would be - so far I say no, its not for sale and I don't know how much it is worth (other than quite a bit i believe), but at the end of the day its only worth what someone will pay on a given day and time - sounds stupid but its basic.  Lets face there are quite a few folks out there with a passion for cars....and with a lot of money, so to bone out $100k or $200k for a tii isn't a big deal to them, they just want the car.

• Like 1

markmac, you nailed it. To those who deride the "fools," who pay "stupid money" for a tii, consider that the European gentleman who just bought my '72 Baikal/Saddle tii with 55K miles (every one documented since new) spent a million dollars on the RESTORATION of a Pebble Beach, Best-in-Class winner. He lay awake at night during graduate school, fantasizing about owning a brand new tii, but it was way out of his league back then. Now, he's a massive success. A hundred grand here or there to these folks is meaningless. It's not about what a car is "worth" (whatever that means). It's about having what you want and having it NOW...and It's about finally attaining those elusive dreams of youth.

COOP

Edited by COOP
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, fastricky said:

Plus: No pics showing the complete condition of the dash (it looks good I think but hard to tell). 

If you look at the pic that is showing the lock down area for the hood.  It appears that dash is cracked in the usual area.

'72 2002Tii Inka   2760698
'65 Porsche 356SC

1 hour ago, g_force said:

But, I can't imagine having a driver tii without these luxuries.  

I can.  After a 10 day 2500 mile drive in my stock tii, I am reminded what it was like to drive a european sport sedan in 1973.  Very enjoyable.  Although Recaros are really nice, the stock seats are not butt-numbing, and the M10 / 4 speed  is a reliable workhorse in all driving conditions.

That's why the most common compliment I hear is "that's the best car I ever owned".

73 Inka Tii #2762958