• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

Redesigned the housing stop for the throttle to make it chassis mounted and to eliminate any input from engine movement. I also rigged up a little bracket to help secure the air filter to the intake manifold. My plan is to make an aluminum box to mount the filter and feed fresh cool air from the radiator core hole. 

After making sure all sensors were properly calibrated I ran the auto tune function on Tunerstudio and the warmup enrichment auto tune and it’s running pretty great now. 

72297721348__5279EC8F-93B8-4E1C-A931-187136007EEE.jpeg

72297722535__970814D4-A8BF-49D5-BC4B-771C1814ADDE.jpeg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, TimKing said:

Today I am working on interior demo. After removing what was left of horsehair and old seat covers, discovered quite the mess. Curious to hear your collective thoughts on rear seat options. I was thinking sandblast the frame and reupholster, now after demo, not so sure. See photos. Also curious about y’all’s thoughts on rear seat delete. IMG_4249.thumb.jpeg.7bd8560a17a9772e027c10d4230e2384.jpegIMG_4248.thumb.jpeg.997aa5845b9e028fe1da6f067a1f984a.jpeg

Wish you lived closer to Oregon. I have a rear seat frame that was acid dipped and primered with a shell I ended up selling and need to get rid of

10 hours ago, Pdxguy said:

Wish you lived closer to Oregon. I have a rear seat frame that was acid dipped and primered with a shell I ended up selling and need to get rid of

Thanks. The more I look at mine the more I think I need to source a different set. 

I got new tires (again) Toyo 205/60/13 R888 to replace the Pirelli CN36 175/70/13. Not sure what I will do with the pirelli’s now. Surprisingly the steering effort doesn’t feel any different to me and somehow my little 1600 feels quicker. I’m feeling more confident with more rubber on the road. Does anyone else waste money trying out different tires?IMG_0952.thumb.jpeg.b36cca720cfa6901779f98706968970f.jpeg

Edited by 72pdx02
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, OldRoller said:

Thanks, still a bit to go. Interior, brakes... runs and drives well, stopping is an issue. 💀

Going more important than stopping!  Until is isn’t…

• Haha 3

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

14 hours ago, OldRoller said:

Wet sanded the 76 with 1000 then 2000 wet paper in prep for the paint. Nearing the end of this part of the project....

Pre paint.jpg

That hood's lookin' slick!

• Thanks 1

'74 Atlantic Blue Tii w/sunroof (my very first car - circa 1990)

'76 Sahara w/sunroof (restored/repainted sunshine yellow, then sold - circa 2002)

'76 Fjord Blue w/sunroof (restored in '96 by PO) - my current baby

A good day for the 74 Siennabraun (affectionately called "brown turd")... dropped the subframe, blasted it with the steam cleaner and shot a couple coats of Krylon Gloss Black after it dried. Brakes are toast after sitting 35 years, suspension likely shot too. Later for that stuff, picking battles here. 

Cheap HF dollies make moving stuff around easy. Tied the struts up, took the engine off the stand and mounted it back in its home. Maybe back in its hole tomorrow. In the meantime, pushing it around making vrooom vrooom sounds... I think I'm overdue for a drink!

Eng on subframe 2.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

Last week, while preparing the S14 for first start, I pulled the plugs and valve cover to oil up the valve train and cylinders.  Used the starter to spin the motor trying to build some oil pressure.  No joy after several, 30 second sessions.  No movement on the oil pressure gauge and the oil light stayed on.  While inspecting the oil pressure gauge wiring, i noticed an oil  leak on the floor under the oil filter housing.

I put the car on the lift and inspected the bottom of the oil filter housing, sure enough, one of the fittings to the oil cooler was leaking at the M18 to AN-10 adapter on the housing.  I installed these adapters earlier when the engine was out of the car and I had plenty of room.  With the motor installed, my plenty of room became no room to get a 27mm wrench on the adapter to remove it.

I ended up pulling the entire housing (3, 13mm bolts) to remove the old M18 to AN-10 adapters and installed some new Evil Energy ones with 24mm flanges for better clearance.  The leaking ones had copper crush washers, the new ones had NBR rubber O-rings.  Installed them and decided to order a new M12 x 1.5 BMW 2002 Oil pressure switch.  It was probably the leaking adapter that prevented the oil housing to not pressurize enough to trigger the oil pressure light or oil pressure gauge, but I'll install the new oil pressure switch when it arrives on Monday.

Mark92131

IMG_4013.JPG

• Like 3

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

2 minutes ago, Mark92131 said:

Last week, while preparing the S14 for first start, I pulled the plugs and valve cover to oil up the valve train and cylinders.  Used the starter to spin the motor trying to build some oil pressure.  No joy after several, 30 second sessions.  No movement on the oil pressure gauge and the oil light stayed on.  While inspecting the oil pressure gauge wiring, i noticed an oil  leak on the floor under the oil filter housing.

I put the car on the lift and inspected the bottom of the oil filter housing, sure enough, one of the fittings to the oil cooler was leaking at the M18 to AN-10 adapter on the housing.  I installed these adapters earlier when the engine was out of the car and I had plenty of room.  With the motor installed, my plenty of room became no room to get a 27mm wrench on the adapter to remove it.

I ended up pulling the entire housing (3, 13mm bolts) to remove the old M18 to AN-10 adapters and installed some new Evil Energy ones with 24mm flanges for better clearance.  The leaking ones had copper crush washers, the new ones had NBR rubber O-rings.  Installed them and decided to order a new M12 x 1.5 BMW 2002 Oil pressure switch.  It was probably the leaking adapter that prevented the oil housing to not pressurize enough to trigger the oil pressure light or oil pressure gauge, but I'll install the new oil pressure switch when it arrives on Monday.

Mark92131

IMG_4013.JPG

The sender is hanging pretty far out and is threaded into a brass fitting.  S14s tend to break things like this off from vibration.  Just say'in.  Others have remote mounted the senders.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.