• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

Today after work I managed to sandblast the Touring rear reinforcement panel and got it painted as well.

The left side pictured below will need some repairing, overall the panel is in pretty good shape.

We'll also need to swap over our bracket for the rear seats.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9

More work on the Touring got done regarding fitment of the rocker panel and quarter repair panel.

I first fiddled a little more with the corner panel we made and in the end welded it tot he quarter panel, also closing the splice I made just next to the triangle to get both radii to line up with the ones of the corner of the quarter panel.

spacer.png

In the meantime my brother finished prepping the inside of the outer rocker panel

spacer.png

Also the B pillar got repaired. A flange got added where the rocker panel will get plug welded against.

spacer.png

A last check to make sure that everything lines up. Looks good to me!

spacer.png

spacer.png

And one last check with the stainless steel rocker trim added.

spacer.png

It doesn't look like much work, but I can't recall how many times the rocker got removed and put on again. Same with the quarter panel..

We should be able to spotweld the rocker the next time sinc ewe ran out of time.

• Like 8

I was going to use one of my unused relays for my O2 sensor, but it would have required removing the relay/fuse box to wire the connector.  So I decided to just tap the 12V power to the fuel pump and also power the O2 sensor, so the ECU can turn off both of them if no tach signal is detected.  Turned the key to accessory, the fuel pump and O2 Gauge lit up for about 3 seconds and then shut off, job done!

I pulled the wire for the SAW signal from the MicroSquirt ECU so the motor will fire in "limp-home" mode, (10 degrees BTDC).  I'll confirm with my Innova Timing light on initial startup.  Waiting on a 22mm flare wrench I ordered to tighten the Bosch O2 sensor in the downpipe of the S14.  Initial fire-up of this motor planned for Saturday!

Mark92131

IMG_4038.JPG

• Like 5

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Gunther the 74 got his 'top hat' refurbed for Christmas, with saddle for the Weber welded on. 

air filt 1.jpg

Air filt 2.jpg

I began the weber adapter by cutting the Solex adapter from the main housing, grinding the spot welds and lightly hammering the surface flat, more or less. With the intake on the bench, it was easy to fit the housing support arms and the Weber with its 1/4" isolator to the intake. Setting the air filter housing on the support arms (so the height would be original and clear the hood) the measurement from the carb head to the housing flange was made, and resulted in 1 .5". I acquired a 10 inch long stainless strap of 1/16", 1.5" wide. Stealing an idea from 76mintgrun'02 (thanks!) I made pattern of the upper gasket and cut a 1.5" piece of plywood to match. Hammered the steel band on the form, fit it to the Weber and scribed a center line, cut and welded the matching ends.

weberform.thumb.jpg.57e43d9ce5676c3bbc9b33ac167e46ae.jpg

The band was placed on the Weber, housing placed above on the supports and 'witness' marks made for placement. Flipped the housing over and tack welded the strap to the housing in 6 places. Finished the joint with 3M seam sealer instead of welding all the way around. 

Fits perfect on the carb, and retains the original height of the housing. I cut a rubber gasket to seal the bottom edge when installed. Now to get some thumb screws for the three isolators for easy removal.webercap2.thumb.jpg.6670158c02c000d46b4edf6ce06df710.jpg insideofairhousing.thumb.jpg.209587a14a9770ddfa02ab04d57f3c56.jpg

Edited by OldRoller
More info
  • Like 7

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

I was able to spotweld the outer sill panel to the Touring using the spotwelder, such a great tool.

There is barely any prep work when welding it (except the fitment of course) and also after wards, maybe a quit go over with the little die grinder to remove any small high spots but that's it :)

I haven't fully spotwelded the panel yet. Only some more spot welds at the front lower section and the upper section that sits behind the quarter panel still need spotwelding but the machine got a little hot in the end so I let it cool down for now. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I also plug welded the B pillar extension to the rocker panel. As well as the plug welds at the A pillar, still need to do the long stitch weld but first the door needs to get removed from the car again.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Tomorrow I should be able to finish spotwelding as well as fitting the quarter repair panel on the car.

• Like 7

Finished the last remaining spotwelds at the underside of the rocker panel as well as the rear section at the wheelhousing panel.

It was then time to fit the quarter panel for good. 

spacer.png

Starting at the front corner next to the triangle to make sure that the radii all match up. Working our way to the back of the car, every 2-3cm a tackweld. and afterwards completely welding the panel one tack a time making sure to use compressed air to cool the panel. There is some warping of course but it's mostly just at one place in the middle of the panel. We might be able to make it less warped with some work, but obviously it'll need a little bit of filler.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Starting to look more and more like a car again.. :)

I didn't have time left as I had an appointment. Tomorrow I need to spotweld the lower edge of the quarter panel to the inner sill, also add a couple of extra plug welds along the lower edge of the quarter panel - outer rocker panel. Then we'll probably start on the replacement of the reinforcement panel between both rear wheel wells.

spacer.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, D.martijn said:

Finished the last remaining spotwelds at the underside of the rocker panel as well as the rear section at the wheelhousing panel.

It was then time to fit the quarter panel for good. 

spacer.png

Starting at the front corner next to the triangle to make sure that the radii all match up. Working our way to the back of the car, every 2-3cm a tackweld. and afterwards completely welding the panel one tack a time making sure to use compressed air to cool the panel. There is some warping of course but it's mostly just at one place in the middle of the panel. We might be able to make it less warped with some work, but obviously it'll need a little bit of filler.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Starting to look more and more like a car again.. :)

I didn't have time left as I had an appointment. Tomorrow I need to spotweld the lower edge of the quarter panel to the inner sill, also add a couple of extra plug welds along the lower edge of the quarter panel - outer rocker panel. Then we'll probably start on the replacement of the reinforcement panel between both rear wheel wells.

spacer.png

Have done that job myself. So much work. What spot welder are you using? Mine were all plug welds…so many!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Highnote1 said:

Have done that job myself. So much work. What spot welder are you using? Mine were all plug welds…so many!

Thanks! Yeah it's quite some work, especially when you need to plug weld everything like you said.

I'm using a Tecna 7902 spotwelder. Here's a picture of when I just purchased it, still one of the best tools we've ever bought!

Planning on making my own electrodes to spotweld the wheel arches together as well. (I plan on using aluminium for the arms, actual electrodes will be copper of course)

spacer.png

As the New Year approaches I find myself anxiously hoping for a little more sanity, a lot less drama, and resurrection of the patience I once had. We will see.

Today continues the tedious process of cleaning, straightening and un-denting 47 year old trim for the 76. It's a pleasurable task! A wooden profile, small punches made of soft wood, light hammer. Then polishing in stages. It's a zen thing, watching the hands work...

Took a break and mounted the Panasports. 

Trim.thumb.jpg.7526fb68874a92fada5577cff8701aed.jpg

Tail light lenses are repo's, and the turn signal section sucks. Too orange, they're coming off. 

Redirected energies to the 74, worked on the brakes. New hoses and rotors/calipers from a FAQ member. Booster and master cylinder, bleeding, etc. The tasks continue. 

frontbrakes.thumb.jpg.b20838fe2038fcd00c8f30c747209be9.jpg

Beat wishes to all in the New Year! Cheers, make it one to remember!

• Like 7

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC