• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

Got it a new garage playmate. I’m in awe of this car and so thankful for the incredible blessing of being able to get it.  I keep going back to the garage to make sure it is really there lol!  I can’t seem to get myself to sell the 640i but I have ran out of garage space and it now resides at my office parking structure which I am not super fond of.  02 content?  Yes, my 76 ain’t going anywhere.  ?

3BE55D4F-7B8C-4884-A355-0FBD95BC1B45.jpeg

E8334C49-ACEE-4DCB-8B8A-867F2F975C8D.jpeg

• Like 6

76 BMW 2002 Arktisblau M42 5 spd - Born 5.21.76 - daily money pit

06 Aston Martin V8 Vantage 6 spd - garage queen *  73 Mustang Convertible 351C 

15 VW Touareg V6 Executive - daily driver * 23 Audi e-tron SUV (wife's)

sig_banner.jpg.5aeae468aebf7c560d52fe62d249efbd.jpg

FINALLY finished the brake system rebuild today. New hard and soft lines everywhere, new passenger caliper and new wheel cylinders. Thanks for help from the folks in this thread about the Motive bleeder. It still takes ~80 pumps to get to 10 psi so maybe I have a slightly faulty unit but I learned here that 10psi is enough and didn’t drive myself crazy or waste time getting to 15psi. Got the whole system bled, including my first clutch bleed ever. Hoping to find time tomorrow to get her started up and back on the road!

3FA71B71-A63F-430F-BEAA-03998B62DB49.jpeg

• Like 6

Hi everybody! I hope you're all doing fine! Yesterday I started to put the "liquids" back to my fully restored engine. 6ltrs of coolant, and 4ltr of oil. Of course I'll have to adjust the oil when the filter is filled (+0,25ltr). I was recommended to make the engine run without starting it to allow the oil to fill all the "empty spaces" and lubricate all parts before starting it. Anyway I'm still far from firing the engine as the electrical is not yet fully in order. But as the oil quantity is perfectly metered, I took the opportunity to make a new oil gauge tube, and adjust it to the correct height to have a perfect reading of the oil level. Initially I didn't bent the aluminum tube, but the rubber part was making a tight chicane that blocked the dipstick when introduced in the tube. So I did the "zigzag" with the aluminum tube and now all is perfect. The lenght of the all assembly is 21cm, but the rubber tube doesn't go all the way down, so from the case to the top of the tube the lenght is  24cm.
One question: is the handle of the original dripstick yellow or red? Mine has had both...

Have a nice day.
JP

IMG_20210516_111254733.jpg

IMG_20210516_121206338.jpg

IMG_20210516_121604384.jpg

• Like 2

I took this kid for his first driving lesson as a reward for helping me get the 2002 up and running and for finishing his homework. I wish I would have gotten a picture of it but I was too nervous to think about that. He’s 14 and a half. 

2D14CC3B-458C-43DD-8121-B99FA317D2BE.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/15/2021 at 12:20 PM, RD02 said:

Concrete pavers?

Workspace! Thinking a Max Jax would  work well.

A full sized 2 post lift would also mount up to the 6 in reinforced concrete, put some cheap instant garage over it and Voila! 3 season covered space with a lift.

Having a hard time selling that concept to the wife so most likely, portable mid rise Max Jax it will be?

IMG_2587.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

40 minutes ago, 2002FjordBaur said:

After 30 years... finally fitted the gearbox to exhaust support bracket and discovered where that spot of oil on my garage floor is coming from...reverse light switch me thinks... but its very oily around there? 

IMG_4757.jpg

IMG_4756.jpg

The switch or the left side shift platform bolt to transmission case does not have thread sealant.  It's drilled thru into the case.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

5 hours ago, 2002FjordBaur said:

Jimk...Not totally understanding what you’re referring to? Is something not correct?

Nope, he was just suggesting another possible location for the leak.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

3 hours ago, 2002FjordBaur said:

Ah, interesting!... dont suppose there is a diagram to show that shift platform bolt location... I'm not exactly sure what that is?

They are the (usually Allen bolts) that go where the red arrows are.  They hold the shift platform to the tranny: 

ekNGa38.jpg

I realize that isn't the same tranny you have, but it will have the same holes here that hold this up: 

You're looking for #10 and 11.  Might as well replace #11 as they always get worn.  

02shiftpartsEARLY.jpg.3b8ca96a457e6c91f0a9815978776710.jpg

Edited by SteadFast
  • Like 1

On 5/16/2021 at 7:11 AM, tashakes said:

Got it a new garage playmate. I’m in awe of this car and so thankful for the incredible blessing of being able to get it.  I keep going back to the garage to make sure it is really there lol!  I can’t seem to get myself to sell the 640i but I have ran out of garage space and it now resides at my office parking structure which I am not super fond of.  02 content?  Yes, my 76 ain’t going anywhere.  ?

3BE55D4F-7B8C-4884-A355-0FBD95BC1B45.jpeg

E8334C49-ACEE-4DCB-8B8A-867F2F975C8D.jpeg

Wait... So what did you do to your 02 today? :P  haha. Sweet ride/humblebrag thou! 

Edited by 2002Scoob
  • Like 1