• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

Continued trying to unlock the mysteries of proper window alignment. Ultimately, I think I may need some professional help with door/panel alignment as well.

Meanwhile, I packed up all the various goodies in preparation to pull the car out of our shop and haul to my buddy's shop for completion of the EFI conversion.

I'll post pictures tomorrow after we've gotten the car loaded up on the trailer. It's the first time the car has left our shop since July 2017.

Edited by d.hitchcock
  • Like 1

Came across some hottie driving a Boxster S at a stop light.  We played stop light grand prix for a couple of lights.  I took her on the first one, she stayed even on the second.  To be fair, she got the car today.  Apparently she started with an '07 Mini Cooper S, modified that, went to a Toyota MR2 Spyder, and is now onto the Porsche.  Got her to have dinner with me, too!  Woohoo!

(Just don't tell my wife.  Oh, and I've got a Toyota MR2 Spyder that's now for sale...)

• Haha 3

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

Today, I finally removed the radiator and the exhaust manifold/down pipe.

015.thumb.JPG.fbbc3512e8fd00ecb3971c525e27a71d.JPG

Tomorrow I will pull the coolant drain plug out of the block and see what I find.

I may also weld the AFR bung onto the down pipe.

042.thumb.JPG.063887aa19ad0ad91ec9be5d337afc1a.JPG

I was actually surprised to see that my manifold still has the tubes. 

038.thumb.JPG.f18a2744c8a6670ce64340b107fe9e80.JPG

The new one is tubeless.  :) 

051.thumb.JPG.bd94be2248d8d27daf32efe083cd7473.JPG

There is a four pound weight difference between the two!

047.thumb.JPG.50650b660373fffc6887951e388e305c.JPG048.thumb.JPG.143b56f0101d343b6adeb1d1a692b4cd.JPG

I've been meaning to do this for several years now.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I may also weld the AFR bung onto the down pipe.

Do this.  Step drill in the drill press- if you MIG it it's like 10 minutes total, and such a huge tuning tool.  Mine has helped immeasurably in getting the fuel injection set up.

Dave.

48 minutes ago, irdave said:

Do this.  Step drill in the drill press- if you MIG it it's like 10 minutes total, and such a huge tuning tool.  Mine has helped immeasurably in getting the fuel injection set up.

Oh, I intend to do it!  ... but it may not happen today.  I don't MIG, but TIG will be similarly speedy.  I installed a bung for a friend last summer, but I didn't take notes on its placement.  A few inched behind the Y in the down pipe and close to vertical, IIRC.

I am actually happy to see the tubes in my manifold.  That means the Tii-tubless one stands to be an improvement... not that I am likely to notice. 

I read the flow-bench study that Pat Allen did years ago, where I think he said that the air injection manifolds had enlarged porting, to offset the volume of the tubes and flowed as well or better than the Tii manifold, (once the tubes were removed).  Visually, the ports do look more open... so the improvement will have more to do with visual aesthetics than increased performance... I'm guessing.

It feels good to finally be making these improvements, but I don't like having the 2002 inoperable.  Luckily, a friend of mine gave me his '99 Miata about a month ago; so that gives me something fun to drive while the green car is up in the air.  It weighs about the same as the BMW, but has 40 more Hp.  Now I see why people chase a little more power.  It feels pretty zippy, by my standards.  It is almost twenty years old, but it is fifteen years newer than any car I've owned.  First convertible too.  Okay, enough off-topic information.  Sorry.

Tom

042.thumb.JPG.f9ad08025dabe1bf18e0f24b0da9ae08.JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Oh, I intend to do it!  ... but it may not happen today.  I don't MIG, but TIG will be similarly speedy.  I installed a bung for a friend last summer, but I didn't take notes on its placement.  A few inched behind the Y in the down pipe and close to vertical, IIRC.

Now I see why people chase a little more power.  It feels pretty zippy, by my standards.  It is almost twenty years old, but it is fifteen years newer than any car I've owned.  First convertible too.  Okay, enough off-topic information.  Sorry.

Tom

I just leaned under the passenger side- from the weld to the edge of the o2 sensor is my middle 2 fingers worth- about an inch and a half, about 10 or 15 degrees to the driver's side. (Using the 4sp.  I remember someone saying the 5 sp can cause fitment relocation- I think I put mine in in anticipation of installing the 5 sp.)

I just built my new engine using TEP parts- 2mm over, real compression, long rods/short pistons, 1.8i head, aluminum flywheel, stock Kfish, etc...  The extra juice makes it feel absolutely right.  Absolutely right.  Now I need a limited slip.  :)  (But it's not so fast that it feels like too much- my brakes are completely fresh- the car still stops appropriately... Frame of reference; z4mc, e46m3, various mk1 vws)

• Thanks 1

Dave.

6 hours ago, Bibm5 said:

Installed a new headliner.
3ba3bfb23c007047e9cb32bf2602315e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Respect! I've been wanting to do that (it's the only part of the interior that I haven't restored yet), but read about how daunting it is. Did you do it by yourself, or as a 2-3 person job? Any injuries? ;)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, backeis said:

Respect! I've been wanting to do that (it's the only part of the interior that I haven't restored yet), but read about how daunting it is. Did you do it by yourself, or as a 2-3 person job? Any injuries? ;)

This job underwritten by Office Depot. I still have about 80 clips left from my trunk seal install ?

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com