• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

I need to get around to this someday (I have remote operated locks with provision for a trunk opener). Did you use the kit that someone on here used to produce or is that home grown?
I bought a universal kit off ebay for about $20 and fabbed up a housing to hold it all together. I have seen the kit that a member sells on here and it looks really nice. I would have used that one but I didn't see it until after I bought mine.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, Simeon said:

I need to get around to this someday (I have remote operated locks with provision for a trunk opener). Did you use the kit that someone on here used to produce or is that home grown?

21 hours ago, Bibm5 said:

Today I installed an electric trunk popper kit. I made a frame for it out of some sheet metal. I don't have a trunk key so I figured I should probably have some way to open it. cad03a04e1df1442f735911e1c240708.jpg379c718829340d0897fc011be506d990.jpg1ff2aed7a5afdeecbb3f47c5caf07e86.jpge3550b9c739c8002acc5ea75bd7ce979.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I had heard that the solenoid isn't strong enough to open the trunk.  How well does it work?

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

1 hour ago, Dudeland said:

I had heard that the solenoid isn't strong enough to open the trunk.  How well does it work?

You may be referring to a kit that another forum member offers for sale.

The particular kit that I'm familiar with uses an off-the-shelf BMW solenoid, repurposed from its original application which I think was door locks but I'm not sure.

With that kit, the seller recommends reducing the strength of the stock trunk latch spring to alleviate undue stress on the included solenoid. It's a nice kit, but if one did have concerns about changing the spring, I imagine fitting a different, stronger solenoid would be possible without too much hassle. I haven't installed mine yet so I can't comment further on what it would take.

Cheers,

Jim

Doing a yard cleaning I figured it was time to clean up the rollbar in the backyard and throw it into the car

6E8FC82C-BA2B-40AD-97A5-62E8D79591D6.thumb.jpeg.9c1e7b6e5d420c8c32cefe5e9dbb53ce.jpeg

20A7B5A6-8CE9-4831-A740-684E1E724DA4.thumb.jpeg.411e0effa81c76c081d965359b6a84df.jpeg

this one handed Sawsall was great for removing the diagonal bracing 

3ED25FF1-100E-4BED-9F9D-281112553010.thumb.jpeg.40b4f246c5212bd7dc771167bcdec51c.jpeg5100A395-049C-4475-AD16-E597404E922B.thumb.jpeg.11ebfeba6c5862e6900bc6721a8cc839.jpeg

i found out my metal shears worked really well to trim the carpet 

A3E3639B-2F26-44F4-8A39-049E500AD39F.thumb.jpeg.06b72198ec52ad19c22e4eabe0317b1b.jpeg

F6925A76-DB77-413B-A1D2-ECA0C36BCCC1.thumb.jpeg.c6a51558b0f99e32b77020c19836add9.jpegA50D0861-B376-429E-8615-C52889B030C1.thumb.jpeg.6e5f71fcecea2ab6c4fcbbc25c1d25d3.jpeg

• Like 5

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

I took car out for a drive after about a month of sitting while on summer holiday (well that's what the rich people call it).  Backing out of driveway, I couldn't quite reach my seatbelt (retractors shot) so pulled over and got out of car to find it.  Noticed a strong smell of gas....Hmm, I almost jumped back in and drove away because "they all smell like gas", but decided to open the hood and take a gander.  Gas was squirting from the third valve on top of the KF.  Pulled her back in, went to FAQ Search, MacCartney's Book, Ace Hardware, and all fixed.  Changed all 4 for good measure.

Then test drove that evening taking my son to his Boy Scout meeting.  One of the scout moms in her minivan followed me into the church parking lot and parked beside me. She gets out, middle aged mom standing all of about 5' tall, and says "wow Steve, is that the fuel injected model"?  I was stunned and expecting something like "what is that" or "cute car".  She proceeded to tell me she wanted a Tii when she was young but her parents wouldn't let her get one because they were too expensive.  I did give her an idea of today's values!

suction valve.png

• Like 1

My hardware store O-rings worked, but I didn't like they way the set in the suction valves, size must be slightly off.  I ended up ordering some properly fitting metric sized ones from the O-ring store. Perhaps the Challenger engineers should have been as careful.

Edited by Steve Tochi

7 minutes ago, ray_ said:

I'll blame ethanol... unless you correct me ?

Good catch.

Cheers,

Thanks Ray, I do keep a fire extinguisher in the cabin.  Ethanol, Southern Cal heat wave and age.  Every O-ring was squared off, and all split when I tried to gently remove them.

9 minutes ago, Steve Tochi said:

My hardware store O-rings worked, but I didn't like they way the set in the suction valves, size must be slightly off.  I ended up ordering some properly fitting metric sized ones from the O-ring store. Perhaps the Challenger engineers should have been as careful.

Those were chevron seals.

?

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

529e7a162e4af637b0a64793ff283e56.jpg

New suspension is in! GC coilover sleeves and IE camber plates up front, Billy sports and IE stage 2 springs with one coil chopped off in the rear. I have to say... I’m really happy with it. I still have a few things to take care of (looks like I need tie rod ends) but I’m still excited.

I also realized that I’ve made more progress on this car in the last few months than I had in the 7 years prior. Hopefully I can get her repainted this winter. That would be an absolutely massive step forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

-Sam

1976 Pastellblau Project