• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

newalternator.thumb.jpg.d826840624c7d503fd0656bae0eb57a6.jpg 

Replaced the alternator this morning, the old one would illuminate the charge indicator dimly (sometimes) at revs. Charged ok at idle, with an occasional squeal. Brushes likely floating. New one works a charm.

• Like 6

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

5 hours ago, OldRoller said:

newalternator.thumb.jpg.d826840624c7d503fd0656bae0eb57a6.jpg 

Replaced the alternator this morning, the old one would illuminate the charge indicator dimly (sometimes) at revs. Charged ok at idle, with an occasional squeal. Brushes likely floating. New one works a charm.

Where did you source that new alternator? 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, popovm said:

Where did you source that new alternator? 

Random google search, tab showed Autozone part # 13018, Duralast $105. Standard 45 amp, more than enough for the 02's needs. Fits, and works as designed.

Just checked the page, showed no inventory at present. Worth checking back frequently. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

23 hours ago, tzei said:

At the Alastaro race circuit with Tommy. Feeling alive again 😊

20240516_191823.jpg

20240516_191752.jpg

Bet that was fun..

Neat aero on both cars. I see rooftop vortex generators on white and added front airdam canards on yellow. How are these working for you guys? Any further details you might share, including any test data?

I also see a mono-wiper on yellow. I’d like to know more about what’s done to the linkage to enable the center wiper to swing fully..

Tom

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

Thx. Fun - yes. Monovipers on both cars. Tommy has one from fiat uno i think and mine (white car) is sourced fron citroen bx (has integrated washer tube thingie).  And no, they don’t swing fully but swings enough thou.

Uh aero test data, uhum err hmm. Is secret.

No. Can’t speak for Tommy but mine is butt feel & lap times (for now atleast). Haven’t recorded (video) about vortex generators operation. I did try but then there was other issues and never had time to do that. Now my mini camera is obsolite so yeah, need new camera etc.

• Thanks 1

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

Hah, my deep studies about aerodynamics in the institute of youtube suggest that those things may work. Personally I have strong feeling that they don't hurt performance, at least not much. 😀 I have written more about my explorations in my blog in the archive section.

• Thanks 1

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Built an engine stand for my M10 Rebuild Project

I used the plan posted by eastsidebimmer on Oct 3, 2011.  Superb plans.  Sturdy.  Solid.  Stand works well. 

If you use 1"x8" instead of 2"x8" for the rear piece, there will be sufficient space to attach a flywheel or accommodate an already attached flywheel.  I learned this after assembling the stand and using a 2"x8" for the front piece.

The slot is somewhat off center (forward) of the drain plug because I made the slot before I discovered the need to use 1"x8" which moves the engine a little forward.

Photo #1:  stand with a 2"x8" rear piece.  You can see a flywheel cannot be attached.  

Photo #4:  stand with a 1"x8" rear piece.  The stand can accommodate a flywheel.

IMG_7877.thumb.jpeg.008073d4369d653bd028ed573f178a56.jpeg

IMG_7885.thumb.jpeg.7da0ff814eb9a1a525cda37d845fd244.jpeg

IMG_7884.thumb.jpeg.80b9ceb2b3b1fe2418721e642a969a02.jpeg

IMG_7882.thumb.jpeg.000b213c0768a8045846497e6e7667ef.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted (edited)

Thanks guys. I’ve been working on vortex generators myself - I’ll share when I’ve completed fitment and testing.

Aha - I incorrectly guessed the monoviper was a mod to the 02 linkage. I’m started down that path trying to figure it out but got lost in the geometry and gave up! I don’t think we got many cars over here that came with monovipers to pillage from… lol

Edited by visionaut
Damn you autocorrect!

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

If you could find a VW Sirocco in a wrecking yard most had the mono wiper. 

• Thanks 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Posted (edited)

Finally found the source of an on-going irritating, random rattling noise from the rear of the car.  I've had problems with the muffler mounts and my fake rear bumper in the past also making noise. This time it turns out my wheel lug nut wrench was to blame. First I thought it must be vibrating against the spare tire well but on further investigation the rattling was just the socket being too loose in the wrench. One small piece of electrical tape and the wrench is silent and so is the car.

DSC_0191.JPG

DSC_0194.JPG

Edited by 7502
space
  • Like 4

Now that I finished the floorpans, I can get back to mechanicals. Finally installed the rear Bilsteins I had sitting on the shelf for probably 2 years now. Car feels so much more stable. The only corner left to install the driver’s side. I did this in a weird order. I did passenger front about a year ago since it was completely blown and then did the rears. 

Installation tip: if the lower bushing is getting hung up on the threads of the post, insert a punch and twist the bushing more in line with the post. Maybe this is a terrible idea, but it worked for me. 

Up next: driver’s side suspension refresh and new rotors, wheel bearings, and Porterfield pads. 
IMG_3569.thumb.jpeg.c790059db7060556c8b6a2c7d84c3f05.jpeg

IMG_3571.thumb.jpeg.e31b3a027eb95459baa9f2926a704a6c.jpeg

• Like 5

Removed IE fixed camber plates and installed new strut bearings and spacers to stop grinding the flares all the time.

IMG_0023.thumb.jpeg.31acfa0109a01785252bb227d9fdc8f0.jpeg

Today installed new front bumper supports from Wallothnesch.. PO had a mismatched set and one was bent as well.

IMG_0025.thumb.jpeg.a244ed23ed7cedbd4248626b32c693ac.jpegIMG_0026.thumb.jpeg.2e27adb2edb04431008859bc028bb3ef.jpeg

• Like 2