• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

On 11/5/2023 at 5:46 PM, zinz said:

This is likely where your trouble lies.  

The Haynes manual and Blue Books go into detail on how to reset the dizzy to TDC.  It's not difficult.  If you think the dizzy was set pretty close, simply have someone cranking it and turn the dizzy a few degrees in each direction to see if it will fire.

You'll get it, soon enough, no worries.

Ed

IT FIRED UP! 

WOOHOO!
Tonight, with not much time to spend on it, I picked up the recharged battery, went to the garage (not at my home) and installed it. Figured, while I was there I should try to start it. Checked an old photo of the dizzy and adjusted it to nearly where the photo showed it was previously (turned it a good 1/4"+). Got in and cranked it... AND SHE STARTED! Being 10pm the neighbors got pissed lol. I drove it up and down the alley. Surges on steady throttle, so the dizzy isnt correctly set yet, but close enough to start and run. SO GOOD!

1 hour ago, bergie33 said:

Did you pull the fish pump at all? If so, did you reset the pump at TDC with the crank? 

Not at all. All I did was pull the fuel lines at the injectors, then disassemble the manifold/intake/etc. So the Kfisher was as it was before, no change. 

• Like 7

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

4 hours ago, Pablo M said:

IT FIRED UP! 

WOOHOO!

Fantastic news!  From here on out it’s easy street to getting it tuned. 

Congrats. 

• Thanks 1

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

10 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

No mystery a loose bolt will hog out that hole in no time.

SOM, you think it’d disappear that boss as well?  That makes sense, I’ve just never seen it.

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

17 hours ago, Eissmann said:

The whole car is a mystery. No service history at purchase. It already had the 5 speed conversion when I got it.  It had the rumble too, so I had a new guibo and center support bearing installed at that time, hoping that would fix it. Maybe the flange was bad when I bought the car?

Sorting out the details of 5-speed conversions can be a long-term commitment.  You will want to get your driveshaft repaired, or a new one cut — in each case, as jimk says, cut to the precise length required by someone who knows how to measure the gap between trans and diff. And you’ll want to inspect each part in the system as you go: mounts, trans/shaft/diff flanges, u-joints, center support bearing, etc.— for straightness, balance and function. Then it all needs to be installed carefully to ensure alignment.  Otherwise, while you may get rid of the big noises you’ll never get a really smooth drivetrain.  Ask me how I know.

Edited by 0257
  • Like 1

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

Have you inspected the other 3 holes.  Strange that only one hole is worn.   A worn out hole should be from all four bolts being loose at some time previously.

Rumble is from bad alignment.  There are other posts discussing fixes for a mis-alignment/rumble, no need to repeat again.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

On 11/5/2023 at 2:47 PM, cdbeemin said:

Got it home after a leisurely 3.5 hour tow… today I took inventory of the parts that came with the car then dove into the car looking at key spots for dreaded rot. Outside of the right front fender, there is none! Pulled the back seat to see what critters had be using it for a summer home and found the cleanest back seat I’ve ever owned. Look at the pics. No rust on the bottom or back seat frames. I couldn’t find rust anywhere under the seats. Plenty of surface rust in other areas, but not rot. Took a hundred pics of various parts of the car. Cleaned the back seat area and hit it with Aero 303. Looks real nice. Then pushed it over by its new younger sibling and took more pics. They look happy together. Next week I’m pulling off the lower part of the dash to check the wiring (found plenty of mouse turds in other parts of the interior) then change out all of the fuses, put in a battery and check the electrical system. I will add more details as I dig in. 

You got a really good deal on that car. It will be interesiting to see where you take it (figuratively and literally)

• Like 3

Going to try my hand at refreshing my spare steering box. If all goes well, I'll replace the leaking one that's currently in the car then refresh that one for a spare. From my untrained eye, the innards look fine. What you all think?

IMG_0742.jpg

• Like 3

(1973 Fjord Blue 037) Vin 2588314- Build date February 6th, 1973- delivered to Hoffman Motors NYC February 8th.

11 hours ago, ingramlee said:

Going to try my hand at refreshing my spare steering box. If all goes well, I'll replace the leaking one that's currently in the car then refresh that one for a spare. From my untrained eye, the innards look fine. What you all think?

IMG_0742.jpg

Recently did mine.  Nothing I had, borrowed or rented could get the drop arm off.  Had to take it to a shop where they used a hydraulic puller to do it.  In that sense, you're efforts are already a success!

54 minutes ago, its55 said:

Recently did mine.  Nothing I had, borrowed or rented could get the drop arm off.  Had to take it to a shop where they used a hydraulic puller to do it.  In that sense, you're efforts are already a success!

After about 2 mins of heat from a torch, that puller you see in the photo made quick work of pulling that drop arm arm.

(1973 Fjord Blue 037) Vin 2588314- Build date February 6th, 1973- delivered to Hoffman Motors NYC February 8th.

19 minutes ago, ingramlee said:

After about 2 mins of heat from a torch, that puller you see in the photo made quick work of pulling that drop arm arm.

Constant PB blaster then I used mapp gas for two minutes or more at a time, a 5 ton puller, twisting with all my might, even tried an impact wrench on the puller…after 3 days of trying I gave up…

7C716325-423B-415F-8564-918EF98D4376.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1