• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

I changed the oil filter on the S14 and added 5 quarts of Mobil, 1 15-50W oil while preparing for a first start.  Decided to go ahead and fill the radiator with new Prestone 50/50.  Everything was going as planned until I noticed a drip on the passenger side.  I had a leak at the thermostat housing wear I used a M12 adapter to fit a sensor for my water temp gauge.  I tried tightening the sensor but could not stop the drip.  It also seemed to be leaking from one of the upper clamps.  I drained the radiator, pulled the adapter for the sensor, removed the sensor and put a dab of RTV on the sensor threads, reinstalled the sensor, reinstalled the adapter in the thermostat housing and replaced one of the upper clamps that was stripped from overtightening.  I refilled the radiator and WTF, the dripping continued.  On closer examination, I determined that the M12 plug I used to replace on of the OEM sensors on the thermostat housing was also leaking.  I was able to tighten this plug and the leak stopped, yeah!

I had this radiator custom made in China and originally had requested a bung in the upper tank to connect my water connection from the cylinder head (this connection originally runs to the stock reservoir).  During the manufacturing process, I decided that instead of a bung, I could simply add a connection to the filler neck to route the water from the cylinder head to the radiator.  While filling the radiator a second time, I noticed something that made me sick to my stomach.  Apparently, they welded the fitting for the water return above the lip for sealing the radiator cap, not below it, so water from the head could flow back to the tank.  Now I need to figure out how to remedy this issue before starting the car.

Mark92131

IMG_3968.JPG

• Sad 6

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Fun little project this weekend.

Took a little page from the aro/astro book of how to do things.  When finishing titanium or aluminum in something other than anodizing, alodine/chemfilm is frequently used.  It's a corrosion inhibitor and can leave a slightly-iridescent gold finish.  Nasty stuff, but thought it'd be fun to incorporate into the car.

-blast

-rinse

-acetone/IPA bath

-chemfilm bath (3min.  warm.  2/3 deionized water dilution)

-rinse (chemical process will keep going until rinsed.  too long of bath leaves a very flat mustard finish.

Also installed choke delete kits, little white air bypass set screw caps, and drilled/tapped the bottom bosses for the upcoming vacuum manifold.

IMG-3760

IMG-3761

IMG-3763

IMG-3767

IMG-3765

• Like 19

8 hours ago, SydneyTii said:
14 hours ago, Pablo M said:

Shiny bits:image.thumb.jpeg.24028c0eebf8048dd47f49b215af2b3c.jpeg

What exhaust is that? 
looks very nice!!

It’s Ireland Engineering Stainless Steel exhaust system. Great price at $335 (early or late style). A very complete kit and easy to install. 

WWW.IEMOTORSPORT.COM

Our full SIDE EXIT stainless steel exhaust system for the BMW 2002 (1969-mid/1974). This complete...

13 minutes ago, AceAndrew said:

IMG-3765

That looks amazing. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

2 hours ago, AceAndrew said:

Took a little page from the aro/astro book of how to do things.  When finishing titanium or aluminum in something other than anodizing, alodine/chemfilm is frequently used.  It's a corrosion inhibitor and can leave a slightly-iridescent gold finish.  Nasty stuff, but thought it'd be fun to incorporate into the car.

-blast

-rinse

-acetone/IPA bath

-chemfilm bath (3min.  warm.  2/3 deionized water dilution)

-rinse (chemical process will keep going until rinsed.  too long of bath leaves a very flat mustard finish.

Also installed choke delete kits, little white air bypass set screw caps, and drilled/tapped the bottom bosses for the upcoming vacuum manifold.

IMG-3760

IMG-3761

IMG-3763

IMG-3767

IMG-3765

Super cool! I’ve got to ask…what is this book you speak of? Or is that an abbreviation for something I haven’t learned yet? 

38 minutes ago, sczapiga said:

Super cool! I’ve got to ask…what is this book you speak of? Or is that an abbreviation for something I haven’t learned yet? 

Thanks!  Not a book per-say, just manufacturing methods for aerospace/astronautics industry. Since making the jump from making car parts to making space junk I've gotten to see how much crossover there is in how things are made.  There are old NASA papers where you read them and you think.... this guy MUST have been a hotrodder (I think @visionaut can probably speak with more authority on this than I).  It's awesome.  

In the case of alodine/chemfilm, it's used on titanium and aluminum when something is a) too big to anodize b) is dimension critical (anodizing, although more robust, is still too thick on some components).  When sending metallics into space, you want to have some sort of coating to prevent cold welding or prevent corrosion while the part is waiting for its ride.  Airplane mfg. uses it a lot, but I can't speak to specifics there.

There's no super good reason for me to use it on these manifolds, just thought it'd be neat to see how it holds up.

• Like 8

Finished up final paint on two sets of wheels I cleaned up and repainted. The turbines are for my son Kane’s car…and the Cromodora set are for our Verona red Baur.IMG_7758.thumb.jpeg.ef4b9b7dd671e11be62d09ee986bbec1.jpegIMG_7759.thumb.jpeg.ad06a37470025d93fb1055d972a0b35a.jpegIMG_7760.thumb.jpeg.be4724999104e0fc000b6363953a9ab0.jpeg

Edited by BarneyT
  • Like 10

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

6 hours ago, AceAndrew said:

Thanks!  Not a book per-say, just manufacturing methods for aerospace/astronautics industry. Since making the jump from making car parts to making space junk I've gotten to see how much crossover there is in how things are made.  There are old NASA papers where you read them and you think.... this guy MUST have been a hotrodder (I think @visionaut can probably speak with more authority on this than I).  It's awesome.  

In the case of alodine/chemfilm, it's used on titanium and aluminum when something is a) too big to anodize b) is dimension critical (anodizing, although more robust, is still too thick on some components).  When sending metallics into space, you want to have some sort of coating to prevent cold welding or prevent corrosion while the part is waiting for its ride.  Airplane mfg. uses it a lot, but I can't speak to specifics there.

There's no super good reason for me to use it on these manifolds, just thought it'd be neat to see how it holds up.

Ahhh, I see, that makes perfect sense now:) I love the crossover from aero to Motorsport. There’s a lot to be learned that can be applied to our cars from that industry that would really give us lots to “nerd” out on. Nerd being a positive term:) I’ll look into some tech docs about coatings after I finish my FAA docs on airframe fasteners and proper safety wire practices. I love it👍🏼 

That coating would be perfect for my timing cover and other raw bead blasted parts BTW

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dave919 said:

What paint are you using? 

Eastwood 2K line of two part epoxy… I highly recommend this paint. Better picture taken in the sun. The silver has a lot of metal flake.IMG_7764.thumb.jpeg.a804f7b7fec8b603ac559c8b45500344.jpeg

• Like 5

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…