• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

I noticed the car wasn't charging after the last drive. Took a look under the hood and found a shoddy previous repair attempt (seems to be a theme with this car)
image.thumb.png.0dfb9ae71f9eef9046a0897f845e7758.png
Can anyone help me figure out how to "de-pin" this harness so that I can connect the wire properly? It looks like the slot on the front, below the connector would be the access hole, but I fished around in there with a pick and nothing seems to happen. Would appreciate any wisdom on this. 
image.thumb.png.1ff013a59d5e725de2e62b47dd961f71.png

51 minutes ago, 0257 said:

Not much.  But I did take delivery of this4ECD41A2-F34E-4082-ADBE-770ABE216DCB.thumb.jpeg.714de3d6488c4d8626692eb2ae61c706.jpeg

As faq’er labors of love go, DLacey’s WUR repair kit is right near the top.  Really looking forward to reworking my old regulator.  Hope others doing it will relate their stories of what to do and not to do.  First tip I have: use a circlip-type wrench to loosen the collar nut.  That metal is so soft that if you tap it loose with a punch you risk distorting the inner edge.

Other than that, I took delivery of my Eberspacher muffler from BMW NA yesterday.  Put it on the bench and smoke-tested it.  Result?

IMG_0605.MOV 5.83 MB · 1 download

Leaks all along that seam (and a couple of others).  My local dealer has been great about this and is following up with BMW about getting me still another one, but I’m beginning to wonder if such leaks are considered to be in-spec?

Well, new OEM mufflers leaking like that could help explain all the "exhaust fumes in cabin" threads. I can't imagine how bad that would be after decades. 

3 hours ago, nodoi said:

I noticed the car wasn't charging after the last drive. Took a look under the hood and found a shoddy previous repair attempt (seems to be a theme with this car)
Can anyone help me figure out how to "de-pin" this harness so that I can connect the wire properly? It looks like the slot on the front, below the connector would be the access hole, but I fished around in there with a pick and nothing seems to happen. Would appreciate any wisdom on this. 

A little pick or tiny screwdriver in the little slot under the spade connector. Slide it in there and pull the wire connector out. 

• Like 1

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

12 hours ago, nodoi said:

You slide a small flat head screwdriver in that front slot and try and depress the retaining pin and then push the spade connector out the back.

• Like 1

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

9 hours ago, bergie33 said:

A little pick or tiny screwdriver in the little slot under the spade connector. Slide it in there and pull the wire connector out. 

15 minutes ago, Stevenc22 said:

You slide a small flat head screwdriver in that front slot and try and depress the retaining pin and then push the spade connector out the back.

These are correct, but that big glob of  solder at the back may be melted into the connecter and preventing it from sliding out.  It’s possible solder even got down into the little catch and will prevent you from releasing it. Try removing as much solder as possible and see if that helps.  

• Like 2

These guys seem to have you covered.

rc1300x1__24241.1300213183.380.500.jpg?c
WWW.REPAIRCONNECTOR.COM

Automotive Electrical Repair Connectors and Tools

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

5 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

These guys seem to have you covered.

rc1300x1__24241.1300213183.380.500.jpg?c
WWW.REPAIRCONNECTOR.COM

Automotive Electrical Repair Connectors and Tools

Oops, Out of Stock

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

I didn't see that, oh well that took less than a minute of google to come up with,search 3 prong bosch alternator plug for more vendors someone will have one.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

5 hours ago, HobieDog said:

These are correct, but that big glob of  solder at the back may be melted into the connecter and preventing it from sliding out.  It’s possible solder even got down into the little catch and will prevent you from releasing it. Try removing as much solder as possible and see if that helps.  

Thanks all. I guess I'm on the right track then. The solder chunk broke off pretty easily, I don't know if it was doing much. I am trying every small pick and screwdriver I have, but nothing wants to pop out. It would be great if I could see one to understand what I'm trying to move. Any pictures of these connectors out of the plug?

35 minutes ago, nodoi said:

Thanks all. I guess I'm on the right track then. The solder chunk broke off pretty easily, I don't know if it was doing much. I am trying every small pick and screwdriver I have, but nothing wants to pop out. It would be great if I could see one to understand what I'm trying to move. Any pictures of these connectors out of the plug?

here you go.  You can see the little tab you need to depress to pull it out.

image.thumb.jpeg.1f00f8b7c6a4667dc67972d3a0a15513.jpeg

• Like 2

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

3 hours ago, bergie33 said:

here you go.  You can see the little tab you need to depress to pull it out.

image.thumb.jpeg.1f00f8b7c6a4667dc67972d3a0a15513.jpeg

I got em! This picture isn't what mine looked like though. For anyone else that needs to do this, the secret is to put a pick/ small flat screwdriver/ poker in the slot and then pry it away from the connector. The clips engage on the sides, so no matter how far you jam something in the middle, it won't release. Pry it and pop em out!
image.thumb.png.2df500335c9a0349b956c5ca9f5ef119.png

• Like 4

This was a month or more ago but got mine off the rotisserie and onto at least the back wheels for now. The front subframe needed to get recoated. Lots of work ahead to get it into a paint booth.

The underside was sprayed with Lizardskin Sound Control and Heat Shield as well as a final layer of Wurth Stone Guard to tie it all together.

1.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

9.jpg

Edited by tedwardcairns
  • Like 9

1971 BMW 2002 Sahara

Yesterday after work we welded in the left wheel well/shock tower in for good.

Using the spotwelder to weld the genuine panel to the flange of the floor, innersill and rear subframe mount flanges.

The inner sill and floor got stitch welded to the shock tower panel as well.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And finally a couple of stitch welds on the outside edge to connect it to the inside quarter panel

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next up will be finishing the front right floor and left outer sill before we can attach the other side (subframe point and shock tower panel/wheel well)

• Like 11