• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

Installed the outside rearview mirror.

My right turn signal was missing the spring-loaded push mechanism to attach the wire, so I drilled a hole in the contact spring and soldered a waterproof spade connector onto the signal, and crimped its mate onto the harness. It's mechanically functional. Won't know whether it's electrically good for awhile yet.

Spent more time trying to sort out the harness in the engine bay. I cannot persuade my speedometer cable and it's big cylindrical fastener through the firewall. I'm thinking I'll have to detach it from the transmission and feed that end through the firewall from inside the car.

There is a lead marked "windshield washer fluid," but it's real close to the driver side of the firewall, and the reservoir is supposed to mount on the passenger side fender near the front of the car. I assume there is a subharness that will run over there, but I haven't found it yet in all my stuff.

Buttoned up the driveshaft-to-diff connection. Bolts there were only finger tight and one was missing. Also preloaded and tightened down the center support bearing. Front of the driveshaft was secure.

Found the (e30, I assume) battery cable to relocate the battery to the trunk.

Oh, wait, I forgot the best part. I was playing around with the 318i intake manifold, flipped open the butterfly and was horrified to see the entire plenum stuffed with shredded paper left behind by some damn rodent. Took me half an hour to get it all out.

Getting ready to install the sunroof and glass in the doors. I guess I need to get the headliner in after the sunroof so I can get the windshield and back window installed.

Dropped the euro backbumper off at the plating shop last week. Results should be back within a few weeks. Seats go to the upholstery shop next month.

Edited by d.hitchcock
  • Like 1

New alternator, new mesh ground wires, new battery and leads...cut out battery tray for easy access (battery is in trunk).

Also fudged with the tunacan to increase idle speed- probably shouldn't have messed with it but felt the need to touch it bc everyone says not to..

The horn is annoying me due to random beeps while driving with no rhyme or reason, so I dissected it and gutted it. (NRG QR wheel/hub)

Chasing front wheel shutter... Snugged up front hub/ bearing nut , aired up tires properly...still a shimmy at 50-60. Wheels may need balanced...

Gas was leaking from the rubber goose neck seal on splash back where the metal neck and rubber rand meet.. adjusted and retightened clamp and sealed the outside around the clamp with black silicon and tape.

So much stuff to do, so little time...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OriginalOwner said:

Glen,

Fantastic !!    

my big question:  just how does an original owner work up the energy level necessary to make it look that fantastic ......

Cheers,

Carl

It starts here;

EA65C703-EB49-4037-BE71-5FEC85248234.thumb.jpeg.55399bfd2fe8c6a0fec418e7acc2809e.jpeg

Sorry, couldn’t resist that one. :)

Very nice ‘02 Glen!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

27 minutes ago, Glen Karr said:

Went with the Charlotte Chapter of the Tarheel BMWCCA to the Charlotte Auto Fair fall car show.  Took home 'Best of Show'.  Thanks to those who voted for 'Red.

Best

Glen

Great job Glen!  I wanted to attend, but with my current travel schedule and various other life activities, the two hour trek out to Charlotte didn't materialize.  

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

73 tii (Verona, survivor, owned since '92)

66 DS21 (most technologically advanced car of the 20th Century)

AutoCrossed my 74 (Inka) with the Cal Club SCCA Autocross group at El Toro. My first time. I broke into the very very high 60 second lap times. Not bad for a 1st stage suppension, 32/36 carb, and first factory overbore 02. 

Probably El Toro’s last event.

Closest thing to an 02 was a much quicker and more experienced 76 Scirocco.  Although I heard that there was a group of 6-8 02’s in the past. 

I’m thinking I like the SoCal road courses better.  We’ll see. 

1974  02  Inka

1975  02  Chaminoix (parts car)

1995  318ti  Hellrot

First go on putting a shine on the Nardi.  So far so good!  Will go over it again and work some more of the fine scratches off.  Thinking I'm going to have to be sure I drive Stella with my sunglasses on since the Nardi will be so bright and shiny!  ?

FB_IMG_1506365113615.jpg

20170925_072716.jpg

• Like 2

"To my way of thinking, the 2002 is one of modern civilization's all-time best ways to get somewhere sitting down. - Car and Driver Magazine April,1968