• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 BMW 2002Tii Wins at Greenwich Concours

Bruce Hall of West Virginia won an award Sunday June 4th at the 2017 Greenwich Concours.

Bruce is the original owner and picked the car up in Munich in 1972. Has 42K on the odometer and claims the car is original, aside from general maintenance, and never restored.

IMG_3726.JPG

IMG_3727.JPG

IMG_3728.JPG

IMG_3729.JPG

IMG_3730.JPG

IMG_3733.JPG

IMG_3863.JPG

IMG_3859.JPG

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Wow!  Very nice.  And here's an idea I've not seen previously:  they sewed a leather steering wheel rim cover onto the rim of the stock wheel.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

7 hours ago, Conserv said:

Wow!  Very nice.  And here's an idea I've not seen previously:  they sewed a leather steering wheel rim cover onto the rim of the stock wheel.

Regards,

Steve

I think the black leather wrap was potentially even a factory option... other archivists among us can verify this, perhaps? I think some bus wheels also came with bits of chrome trim at the end of each spoke (ti spec?)

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

On 6/6/2017 at 7:05 AM, wegweiser said:

I think the black leather wrap was potentially even a factory option... other archivists among us can verify this, perhaps? I think some bus wheels also came with bits of chrome trim at the end of each spoke (ti spec?)

The wheel you're referring to was a different steering wheel.  It made a brief appearance on some (if not all) 1970 US 2002s due to (take your pick) either a fire or strike at the plant that produced the plastic-rim "bus wheels" normally fitted to US '02s.  Those steering wheels had leather (or pleather) rims, flat, black metal spokes, little chrome finishers on the end of each spoke, and the horn push was in the center.  There was a wood rim version of that wheel, but it never made it to the US.  There was also a wood-rim version of the bus wheel with plastic spokes (and horn pushes) that was used on 2800 sedans and CS coupes...

The steering wheel on Bruce's car indeed looks as if it has a "Wheelskins" leather cover on it.  They were very popular back in the day and fairly easy to install--if you were patient--and a little anal retentive to get it stretched tightly and the stitches all even.  My original '73 steering wheel still has its cover attached--long since replaced with a wood-rim wheel.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

16 hours ago, mike said:

The wheel you're referring to was a different steering wheel.  It made a brief appearance on some (if not all) 1970 US 2002s due to (take your pick) either a fire or strike at the plant that produced the plastic-rim "bus wheels" normally fitted to US '02s.  Those steering wheels had leather (or pleather) rims, flat, black metal spokes, little chrome finishers on the end of each spoke, and the horn push was in the center.  There was a wood rim version of that wheel, but it never made it to the US.  There was also a wood-rim version of the bus wheel with plastic spokes (and horn pushes) that was used on 2800 sedans and CS coupes...

The steering wheel on Bruce's car indeed looks as if it has a "Wheelskins" leather cover on it.  They were very popular back in the day and fairly easy to install--if you were patient--and a little anal retentive to get it stretched tightly and the stitches all even.  My original '73 steering wheel still has its cover attached--long since replaced with a wood-rim wheel.  

mike

Below is the famous "fire-in-the-factory" ca. 1970 steering wheel, although I have examples dated 1971 (perhaps available as a replacement wheel after its appearance in many factory 1970 models).  The factory covering is faux leather.  The example below is the U.S. version of this wheel.  The difference is that the U.S. version has indentations in lieu of perforations on the spokes: by 1970, U.S. DOT standards had quashed perforated spokes out of safety concerns.

Regards,

Steve

IMG_3019.JPG

IMG_3018.JPG

IMG_3876.JPG

IMG_3877.JPG

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

2 hours ago, Conserv said:

Below is the famous "fire-in-factory" ca. 1970 steering wheel, although I have examples dated 1971 (perhaps available as a replacement wheel after its appearance in many factory 1970 models).  The factory covering is faux leather.  The example below is the U.S. version of this wheel.  The difference is that the U.S. version has indentations in lieu of perforations on the spokes: by 1970, U.S. DOT standards had quashed perforated spokes out of safety concerns.

There is one for sale on ebay right now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/142403969330?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Tony

Tony Garton

1972 2002tii

Wait, there's an 02 in West Virginia?  Any idea where he's from in WV?

I've had my eye out for one, but never even seen another one on the forum, on the FAQ map, or otherwise.  

I live right across the border (Ohio River) from WV, and I'm over there quite a bit.    

edit: just checked the FAQ map, looks like a couple recent ones have been added (bnb and Jackson2002tii).  Still nowhere near me, but its a start.

Edited by KFunk

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

32 minutes ago, KFunk said:

Wait, there's an 02 in West Virginia?  Any idea where he's from in WV?

Bruce's company, Applewood Motorcar Transport, is located in Gerrardstown, WV 25420.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif