• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does size really matter?

squiggelsworth

Greetings Sirs and Sirettes!   My 73 2002 has stock rims but larger e21 size tires (185/80) I notice that the steering is very heavy when turning even at higher speeds. Its heavy compared to my already heavy, non-power assisted E21. I'm wondering if these thicker tires affect the steering? Or maybe 2002's are like that...  

Also, my rims are black, but I notice many are silver/gray. Did some come in black from the factory?

Thanks!  

00D0D_5qWK3Yu6w3W_1200x900.jpg

many causes of heavy steering...

large tire size

low tire pressure

small steering wheel diameter

bad or incorrectly assembled upper strut bearings

incorrect alignment

poor condition of tie rids, ball joints, track rods

steering box type/condition

weak upper body..;-)

going too slow.....;-)

so, yes. the wrong size tires is a factor, but there are so many others....

PS - those are 185/70 tires, not 185/80.

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

after letting Tii set for 10 years I got it running again.  First thing I noticed was the heavy steering.  When younger I put on 12" diameter steering wheel.  When I drove it Saturday I could barely turn it.  Got home and put the 16" bus wheel back on. No problem now.  I attributed heavy steering to loss of upper body and arm strength

Big castor angles make steering heavy also.  Not sure on the exact angle but typically BMW's have lots if castor which helps keep the steering stable at high speed.  

1974 2002 2.2stroker, DCOE45's, 300deg cam, 5 spd, 3.91 LSD // 1984 E24 M635csi, dogleg 5spd 3.23 LSD. // 1994 E34 540i, supercharged 16psi, 6spd E85 only, 3.15 LSD // 1997 E36 M3 Evo, low comp supercharged 18psi 6spd (under construction)

4 hours ago, mlytle said:

many causes of heavy steering...

large tire size

low tire pressure

small steering wheel diameter

bad or incorrectly assembled upper strut bearings

incorrect alignment

poor condition of tie rids, ball joints, track rods

steering box type/condition

weak upper body..;-)

going too slow.....;-)

so, yes. the wrong size tires is a factor, but there are so many others....

...you can also include grip/arm reach, the distance to the steering wheel  ;p

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

Couple of things...

stock size tires were 165/80x13; you actually have 185/70 tires, not 185/80.  The extra width alone can make the steering heavier, incorrect front end alignment and/or a too tightly adjusted steering box will also affect your steering effort.  So will steering wheel size.    

And from your picture you have the original 4 1/2 inch wide rims, which are a bit too narrow for a 185 tire to perform correctly. You really should have a minimum of a 5" wide rim for a 185 tire.  Those are, incidentally the OEM rims for your '73; the only roundies that came with 5" rims were tii's unless you bought the optional alloy wheels, which were 5".  

Interestingly, the steel wheels used on 2002s came from Lemmertz painted black; BMW painted the outsides silver, but left the back in its original black.  Same with the alloys--the back sides were left in grey primer, with only silver overspray showing through the holes in the center section.  

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

A few things from experience...

If you are new to old cars with unassisted steering, really, that might be the extent of the "problem".  At low speeds, or at a standstill, it is extremely hard to turn the steering wheel.  You need to be rolling a bit to make it easier.  You learn that over time...if you are parking or something, you keep the car rolling a bit to make the steering easier.

Those tires, given the slight extra width vs. stock, will make the wheel harder to turn than the stock tire size Mike talks about.  I switched from the 165 to 185s and there was a difference.  Not a huge one, but I could feel it for sure.  

Also, if you tighten the screw on the steering box, it can yield the sensation that the steering is more difficult to manage.  If the steering doesn't come back to center after going around a turn, then the box is over-adjusted (over tightened).  There are lots of threads on here about adjusting the steering box you should take a look at.  If the steering felt "sloppy" it could be that there are other worn parts in the front steering assembly, and the box is OK, and you over-tightened the box, making the steering wheel harder to turn.  I adjusted the steering box on my car, and it did slightly increase the steering effort, and I adjusted it very little - a fraction of a turn of the adjustment screw.  If you really turned that screw a lot, you could have made the steering more difficult to manage, if that makes sense.  

A quick experiment would be to back out the steering box adjustment screw a bit and see if that starts to be better.  Also check the parts in the front suspension - the parts Marshall listed out.  Your "sloppiness" may be coming from a few sources up there.

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

I have 15X7 ET 25 Centra wheels with 195/50-15 Yoko S drive tires on my tii. For a steering wheel, I alternate between a E21 sport (380mm) and Nardi classic (390mm) wheel that I both enjoy but prefer the E21 wheel for the feel. Not my car but I have the same Nardi wheel as in the below pic. I couldn't ever imagine going back to 13" tires on my tii. I haven't run 13" on my 02's since the early 80's.

G-Man

post-32299-0-48808600-1440034862.jpg

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner