• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General assembly question

Driv3r

I've bought a few bmw 2002 restoration books but now use them as beer coasters! Are there any programs or online site any of you nice enthusiasts could recommend that has more clear images or diagram so that I can use to visually match parts?

Cheers

Edited by Driv3r

There's a lot of expertise on the FAQ--suggest you start a blog and post pictures of the stuff you can't identify--then let folks know with a post on this forum that you've posted new pictures.  Might take awhile, but I'll bet between all of us we can identify all those mystery parts you have in those bags.  

When I took my Fiat Topolino wagon apart--30 + years ago (yeah, I know...)I put all those little parts in baby food jars (no ziplock bags then) along with sketches of where everything went.  I figured that would be useful in a year or two when I went to reassemble everything.  I'm glad I did, so now all I have to worry about is the paper getting old and brittle.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

43 minutes ago, mike said:

but I'll bet between all of us we can identify all those mystery parts you have in those bags.

Thanks Mike, I didnt want to be a pest and annoy everyone but Ill take photos and list them on my blog. That would solve the whats what issue but I still have to know the fitting priority of each piece. For example, I have no washers or nuts for the two piece dashboard. One of the bolts has aluminium sleeve but the other bolts are missing those. I'm not sure whether the other bolts have sleeves or what sort of washers, if any, I should use (I dont want the car start to rattling in two weeks). Realoem is not helpful either http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=2582-EUR-03-1973-114-BMW-2002tii&diagId=51_3373 This is just a sample. Things like sunroof, door trims, seats and lighting are not hard but dash, under dash, steering column (its in pieces), door glass trims and lock mechanism and etc are dragging me down. 

Anywhere I can get access to, or download a comprehensive parts & fitting diagram? I don't mind to pay.

Cheers

Edited by Driv3r

Yes just provide pictures

Best aspect of 02 is simplicity & few

number of parts. Easily identifiable 

Nut (fka weevil)

My Claim To Fame - Worked On Harmon Fisher's Car !!! Yes the infamous 2002 F !!!

# 1 72 '02 Malaga, # 2 72 '02 Colorado, # 3 72 '02 Blue, # 4 72 '02 Malaga, # 5 72 tii, # 6 68 1602, # 17 68/76 '02 Custom Red, # 28 74 '02 Brown Metallic, 72 3.0 Csi, 73 3.0Csi, 80 735 Euro, 728 Parts Car

...and relatively straightforward reassembly methods.  The problem of having a parts car to look at is that

then you get to duplicate all the mistakes that have been made on it.

Good mechanical sense ("That doesn't fit right") will get you 95% of the way there, and then your

"It doesn't fit quite right" picture will get the inevitable "because you don't have this spacer x" reply

and all will be good.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Maybe pick a specific area to build up.  Gather the parts you think fit in the area.

After some trial and error test fitting, post pictures of that area and your parts and a let people respond with help.

It may seem overwhelming, but if you pick one area at a time you should be ok.  Also, by picking an area, someone may recommend starting on something else that should be done beforehand.  Example: don't put the dash in until the heater core is inplace, (and assorted connectors through firewall).

73 Inka Tii #2762958