• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where do you find the passion?

Fatherof3

Built with passion??
Well if the Italian cars were built with so much passion, wouldn't they be better engineered then?  Wouldn't those assembling the cars back then in the factories have tried a little harder?
I'd argue that the German engineers dedication to building some of the most durable, drivable and trustworthy cars around, is indeed a sign of building with real passion...

In 24 years of touring much of Europe in my 2002, she has thus far never let me down!  I recon that's worth getting rather passionate about...   ;)

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

My passion lies in the build and design quality as much as the driving experience and utility, with a good amount of childhood memories thrown in for good measure. Memories of family trips crossing the US from Northern California to the Boston/Lime Rock area and two years later to Orlando/Sebring in the 2002Tii to BMW Club meets with Dad and Mom doing track days, then drive home, all with nary a complaint from the car... I'd say there's passion in that. Enough passion to make me want to work on them for a lifetime. :D

Edited by tjones02

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

My passion for BMWs comes from driving such wonderfully fun, well engineered cars and meeting the people who share that passion. If it weren't for BMWs I'd have no friends. 

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Since we have veered towards german vs Italians, I feel I should butt in, owning a 73 2002 and 74 Alfa GTV... I kinda get the argument...  It's not so much the way it's built (quality), it's the choices made and the pursuit of different goals... The Alfa is built to be sexy, inside and out. Ergonomics be damned (i.e more passion than rationality). It looks sexy, it sounds sexy, the quality is ho-hum.

The bimmer seems more logical, more ergonomic, no-nonsense. Cute but not pretty (rational > passionate). You feel like it was engineered to be a good drive, with good seating position, not too loud, etc... if it's passion, it's passion for efficiency and good design!  

Reliability wise, so far it's a tie for me.... Alfa leads break downs 1-0 (but easily fixed), Bimmer needed a lots more rust repair and upgrades - honestly quality wise they are not dissimilar at all, both invented rust...*I'm* passionate about both about equally, actually. 

Edited by deschodt

--------------------------------------------------------------

73 inka 2002 w/ fuel injection & 5 speed, LSD

If you combine the easthetics :wub:, engineering, and joy of driving an 02, it all adds up (to me) to be "love" or "passion" for the car.

How many times have people commented on your car, "the best car I ever owned", "I should never have sold it", "my favorite car".

NOW, throw in the hours of laying on your back under the car or contorted under the dash, or cleaning, fixing, adding new parts, and how can you NOT feel connected to the car?

Hey don't get me wrong.  It goes both ways.  I get mad at my car too, when it F*&%s-up.  I won't speak to it for a week.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

I'm passionate about the automobile in general. 

I own two "zermans" 1972 bmw 2002 and 1971 mercedes 250c.

I love them both equally for different reasons, the bmw is a little fun maker, so fun to drive but ha zero luxury and quality is so so.

The mercedes is a cruiser, build quality and materials used are superior over the bmw. Loaded with features from factory, a/c, power windows, power sunroof, leather seats, power steering, all disc brakes to name few. I don't find it as much fun to drive as t little bmw.

I keep the merc original while while modify the bmw to the t**s.

I personally think th German cars are th best engineered cars but as they say different strokes F different folkes.

Being half Italian and seeing complaints about Italian cars. I resemble that remark. 

I would argue that Italian cars are built by passionate people, but not necessarily about cars.... I am sure there is was a lot of loud arguing going on at the assembly line. 

I am also half redneck. Don't get me near anything mechanical I will start pulling out strips of duct tape, bungee cord and baling wire. 

My passion was foisted upon me. My brother in law decided to give up his daily driver since 1975 and gift it to our family. My wife is very passionate about the car as well as it involves her Father and there may be a lingering strand of his DNA somewhere in that vehicle. 

I am extremely excited. I understand my brother in law now, once I got behind the wheel and drove it, I am trying to do what I can financially to upgrade, improve,  and make this car dependable and safe.

Making my wonderful wife happy also drives me to get this car "right". I can't wait to see her behind the wheel once the car is ready. 

This community and board also has been invaluable, with so many members willing to help others and share their knowledge, love and passion has been icing on the cake. 

Cheers to all. 

PS: Funny no one has mentioned the passionate builders of Astons. MG's, Bentley's etc......:)

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

I got to passionately drain 9 quarts of milkshake from a 308GT4's oil pan last week. Then I passionately disassembled the engine and put it in two passionately hand built crates, so that I can passionately send it to the machine shop to have new cylinder liners (the passionate kind) installed for the customer. 

I've built mid 60s Ferraris… and I've seen the build quality (or lack thereof)…. the craftsmanship vs. passion statement is akin to selling all of your belongings just so you can have wild crazy sex with the hottest person you've ever seen. Passionate? Yes. Well thought out long term plan? Not so much. ;)

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

The passion for '02s began for me in 1967 when seeing a 1600 in the flesh for the first time, and then looking at a 2000CS coupe costing twice as much.  The fit and finish on both cars was identical--and the same engine (save a couple of carburetor barrels) lived under both hoods.  The build quality was impressive...and then when the factory did a very American thing--stuffed their largest engine in their smallest body (think Pontiac GTO--or even earlier, the Olds Rocket 88)--I was hooked.  It was 47 years ago next month that I bought my first 2002, and am still driving it.  

And how many of us will drive 500 or 1000 miles for a weekend gathering of fellow 02ers? (Raises hand)

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite