• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"The Stance Thread"

oz_tom

3 hours ago, irdave said:

That's good info, thanks.  And think they're trying to make room because they know you're going to put some meaty tires under there?

But in general, how much of the car looking cool is because the chassis is so close to the ground vs the fenders overlapping the tires?  Which perception is it people are giving the credit to?  In general, not necessarily just with box fenders.

The chassis is quite close to the ground even without the widebody kit, I can't even fit a jack under the rocker panels or the rear subframe mounting points. If I had to guess the subframe is less than 3 inches off the ground and the rocker is 4-5 inches off the ground, and the exhaust scraped getting into the garage. I can measure exactly when I get off work in a bit

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2019 at 10:03 AM, BMW'73 said:

I was searching this thread looking for a suspension setup that appeals to me (stance is priority)...this Is it! A few others agreed calling it the gold standard but coastalcrush didnt describe his set up...anyone know what it might be? 

This car is on GC adjustable coilovers. Max @Coastalcrush408 wake up over there, a line is forming. 

Darien

1974 2002 "Careen"

1988 325i cabrio "Serene"

• 1 month later...

I am running a 195/15/15 on 7.5-8" rims.  They are sporting the "stretchies" look, which is appealing to most who look at it, but certainly not ideal.   They are shit tires that I want to change them for something quality, so the options are  205/50/15 or 225/45/15.   I can adjust the suspension both front and rear, good bilsteins on all 4 corners, but not coil overs. 

So the same the 205 won't fill out the rim any better, but it will be of a better quality tire, like a RE71.   I have the 225 45 15 option.   I have flairs (but the PO didn't cut the fenders). 

Just wondering if anyone is happy running a set of 225's on a daily? . 

I have read the posts and have a good idea of what I need to do to get them to work (ish).  

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Lots of creativity in this thread. Anybody have one as it came out of the showroom?  in 73 preferably. 

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

Tried running 16's with 40 series for a while, the ride was just too harsh with too much road input. 

Went back to 15's with 45 series she rides better, grips better and my mild track suspension set up works better.

That side wall is important to our suspensions make it too small or stretch it and you may not like the ride or the handling.

If you have coil overs corner weighting after height adjustments can make a big difference.

• Like 2

I am running a 195/15/15 on 7.5-8" rims.  They are sporting the "stretchies" look, which is appealing to most who look at it, but certainly not ideal.   They are shit tires that I want to change them for something quality, so the options are  205/50/15 or 225/45/15.   I can adjust the suspension both front and rear, good bilsteins on all 4 corners, but not coil overs. 

So the same the 205 won't fill out the rim any better, but it will be of a better quality tire, like a RE71.   I have the 225 45 15 option.   I have flairs (but the PO didn't cut the fenders). 

Just wondering if anyone is happy running a set of 225's on a daily? . 

I have read the posts and have a good idea of what I need to do to get them to work (ish).  

Just remember that not all 195 or 205 or 225 tires are actually the same width- some are just bigger than others...

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

Just remember that not all 195 or 205 or 225 tires are actually the same width- some are just bigger than others...

I hear ya,  There is about 3/4 of an inch in overall diameter between the various brands.   I am talking to my fabricator guy to help be with cutting the  rear fenders  (cut/weld) and probably will have him do the fronts as well.   I will have him do some other work like boxing in the trailing arms and control arms as well as reinforce the subframe and motor mount at the same time. 

Just waiting on my rear disk brake conversion parts from Blunt. Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of I.E, but shipping to Canada is half. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Tried running 16's with 40 series for a while, the ride was just too harsh with too much road input. 

Went back to 15's with 45 series she rides better, grips better and my mild track suspension set up works better.

That side wall is important to our suspensions make it too small or stretch it and you may not like the ride or the handling.

If you have coil overs corner weighting after height adjustments can make a big difference.

what are 15 X45's are you running  195's or 225's ??

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

I’m running 195/45/45 interested in tire brands

My choices here are the RE71 or the RE71. I think I will get the fenders taken care of and run the 225’s . Considering it snowed today in Vancouver, all flights are grounded in the 02, so time to work on relocating the battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002