• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

cooling hose divider, good-bad-junk

Go to solution Solved by John76,

I'm moving closer to installing cooling hoses and the rad.  Pulled this out of the box and, well not so sure about this so it's up for a vote (everyone loves a survey, right...... 🤣)      So good, bad, or junk?       👍    🩹    🚫

IMG_1465.jpg

IMG_1466.jpg

IMG_1467.jpg

• Solution

JB Weld is your friend. 

Scrub that divider clean with a brass brush and light sandpaper.

Apply JBW to fill in the pits.

Sand and polish. 

The aluminum casting is usually OK on the inside. For future protection, wrap some Teflon plumbers' tape around the spigots before installing the hoses.

IMG_4184.thumb.jpg.8cb363e50790bf1611e31f18f59949d1.jpg

• Like 7

Recycle.  You can find something better for probably not that much $$$ and then not have to spend a bunch of time (which = money) playing ' MacGiver ' (and then really still having a POS).  My opinion.

• Like 1

Hey folks, so good thoughts.........

I had been told about the JBW fix, a friend has done this before with other OEM parts and has not had any issues.  The Permatex product is great, it doesn't harden and I've used it on the bolts that need a little sealer and/or locking in place but not a loctite kind of fastening.  The original part is NLA (duh, most stuff we need these days seems to have gone down that path).  The replacement is for the E21 and if I remember correctly has two threaded ports so one just needs to be plugged and it's a direct fit, but +/- $200.

Tech71, if you have a good used spare message me please.  Thanks for the comments folks, I'm off to a work project for about a week then back under the hood.  Last milestone was pre-oiling on Tuesday and all is well.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, John76 said:

For future protection, wrap some Teflon plumbers' tape around the spigots before installing the hoses.

Super tip! Am reassembling my engine now and will add this in. Thank you John.

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

To chime in, since we all have differing levels of perfectionism-

it's not ideal.  I've run similar, and have lived to sit here and type at you.

I've jb- welded similar.  I've used black RTV (because any other color gets you laughed at) 

to fill the worst of the pits.  And once I practiced welding a couple of new nipples on, just to see

if it'd work.  It mostly did.  BMW's aluminum castings are very good.

Me, if I didn't have another, would run it, and keep an eye out for a better, yet sub-$50 replacement.

t

• Like 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

On 4/17/2024 at 8:38 PM, markmac said:

not have to spend a bunch of time (which = money)

I generally would agree, however I'm retired and find it very therapeutic to play with my car(s) and motorcycle.

Plus, I like to keep all the casting date stamps on my"76 to show 1975 (manufactured 9/25/1975) just to keep it "original".

Just a serious OCD issue! 🙃

• Like 5

I used that product (muggy weld, except the one the make for steel/metal) on my car to fill some small holes, worked really well.  That said, even the starter kit is +$70.  What is your time worth?  Whatever that is x a couple of hours (or more) and with the muggy weld idea you are nearly there for a new one.  Fix what you have as inexpensively as possible while looking for a good replacement.  A new one is $217 from ECS or Turner, post a wanted ad here, call 2002 AD, dollars to doughnuts they have a pile of them in a corner somewhere.

There is one on Ebay, pretty crusty looking but maybe better than what you have.  45bux

WWW.EBAY.COM

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for 1256641 Bmw M10 E10 2002 1600 Water Neck Coolant Divider Flange Solex Webber at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!