• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay Alooomineeeum radiator hack UPDATE!

Okay, so there I was yet again staring down the issue. Bought a new nice and shiny aluminum ebay radiator for the 2002. I have seen these types before and kinda knew something was gonna be whacked when I got to installing.  Sure enough, the side mounts (which are aluminum bent to shape) sit too proud from the core support. The fan blade comes in contact with the fins.  

SO, here is what I did: 

Cut mounting flanges off at the bullnose edge. Straighten out as the radius from the factory bending (see above) takes up the needed material for reattaching. After flattening, I measured out 1/8th hole spacing for use of pop-rivets. Now keep in mind I had to pre-drill holes in the liberated mounting flange and then transfer the holes to the side channel which completes the radiator core enclosure.  Luckily there is no vertical core that leads up the very outer edge, otherwise this would not be feasible to mechanically attach, thus welding would be in order. 

I also employed a generous bead of JB Weld along with the rivets.  

In summary, these very affordable radiators are gonna need some massaging if you want to make them fit nicely when running a fan blade. Electric fans should not be a problem.  

This 2 row is what I started with for reference.  Whoever is making these things over in Cambodia or Bora Bora needs to read this thread. 

Aluminum Radiator for BMW E10 2002 1802 1602 1600 1502 TII/TURBO MT 1966-1977 67 - Picture 7 of 7

IMG_0350.JPG

IMG_0351.JPG

Edited by conkitchen

But what do I know

• conkitchen changed the title to eBay Alooomineeeum radiator (hack)

Have you pressure tested that... thing?

I tried welding up some intercooler tanks just for fun some

decades back, and that's how my welds looked.

And did they ever leak!  I was so proud, it was like a sprinkler.

t

• Haha 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Yeesh. Dude, that be scary ugly, I envision a squalid dirt floor shack somewhere in China with a line of laborers cranking these out while some A hole yells at them to hurry up.

Metals coming from the pop can foundry hut close by.

Let us know if if leaks, I need a cheap radiator to stick on a run stand I'm cobbling up so it doesn't have to be pretty.  And that aint pretty😁

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

1 hour ago, TobyB said:

Have you pressure tested that... thing?

I tried welding up some intercooler tanks just for fun some

decades back, and that's how my welds looked.

And did they ever leak!  I was so proud, it was like a sprinkler.

t

I did place my mouth over one end and a hand over the other and then blew. No leaks. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

But what do I know

12 hours ago, conkitchen said:

I did place my mouth over one end and a hand over the other and then blew. No leaks. 

Did your pressure testing generate the requisite 14psi?  I'd use as flexible radiator hoses as you can find given the apparent quality of those welds...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

12 hours ago, conkitchen said:

Ahh, it should be far better than stock, then. 

Find the corresponding heater core, and run a 4 bar cap.

You'll never boil over!

heh

t

• Thanks 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I needed a larger 3 row for my S14 swap but wasn't happy about the custom radiator price stateside ($650+).  I started looking at some of the eBay radiators, but most were either too small or too thick.  I also wanted some custom features, like the upper tank connection moved to the other side to support the S14 and a additional bung for the S14 head vent.  I contacted Winner_Racing_Radiator on eBay, sent them a drawing of the radiator I wanted, worked with them on the custom changes and they built and shipped me the radiator for $350.  Slightly more than the stock E10 radiators from the other vendors, but this one actually fits the opening.

Mark92131

WWW.EBAY.COM

I.e. within one week. We are manufacturer, not exporter. We also make-to-order.

IMG_3651.JPG

IMG_3653.JPG

IMG_3652.JPG

IMG_3654.JPG

New 2002 Radiator Dimensions.png

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

• conkitchen changed the title to eBay Alooomineeeum radiator hack UPDATE!

Ugly as sin, but if the temperature stays down, who gives a hoot?

I'm glad your testing protocols turned out to be a weiner.  

I suspect you could market yourself and get some dotcom venture 

capital thrown at you to boot.  Or maybe tucked into the waist of your... boxers...

hee.

t

may have to go that route one of these days, as his supply of E21 radiators

is slowly but surely getting used up.

3 minutes ago, TobyB said:

I'm glad your testing protocols turned out to be a weiner.  

I suspect you could market yourself and get some dotcom venture 

capital thrown at you to boot.  Or maybe tucked into the waist of your... boxers...

Only(radiator)Fans?

Yes, if the radiator wasn't shrapnel......

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me.