• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay Alooomineeeum radiator hack UPDATE!

I am also leery of cheap aluminum radiators, I have the factory-style Walloth & Nesch upgraded radiator in my 2002tii.

However, both of our English patient Lemons Rally cars needed radiators that weren't readily available, and radiator repair shops are almost nonexistent where I live. I got a Champion-brand radiator for our Jensen-Healey roadster, bolted in, has been great for 20K+ miles since 2019 including an epic drive from California to Maine and back. 

I found a Champion aluminum radiator for a Chevy Vega with V8 conversion to fit our 1970 Rover P6 3500S, albeit with a bit of persuasion.

Champion makes a BMW 2002 radiator, probably worth looking into (need to use electric fan). The company is based in SoCal, but based on the prices the radiators must be made overseas.

WWW.CHAMPIONRADIATORS.COM

Edited by cda951

Chris A
---'73 2002tii Chamonix w/ flares, sunroof, 15x7s, LSD, Bilstein Sports w/ H&R springs, upgraded sway bars, E21 Recaros
---'86 Porsche 944 Turbo grey street/track car

---'81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 rescued from junkyard, Lemons Rally/"GT" car

2 hours ago, Dudeland said:

Does the lack of a shroud on the aluminum rads make a difference?  I was thinking of building one, but first I need it on the road. 

A fan shroud is beneficial for directing air through the radiator at idle and low vehicle speeds, but it shouldn't be at the expense of airflow through the entire core at higher speeds. I do not understand why it is so common in the performance aftermarket to offer a huge radiator and then slap on an aluminum fan shroud that blocks airflow through almost half of the core, see attached link for an example. I guess it's ideal for cruising the strip during Hot August Nights . . . .

Late-model BMWs and most other modern cars use a shroud with hinged flaps that are closed at idle and low speed, but they get pushed open when driving at highway speeds (and of course all modern cars have movable shutters to entirely block airflow through the radiator for aerodynamic purposes, but that's another story).

Edited by cda951
  • Like 1

Chris A
---'73 2002tii Chamonix w/ flares, sunroof, 15x7s, LSD, Bilstein Sports w/ H&R springs, upgraded sway bars, E21 Recaros
---'86 Porsche 944 Turbo grey street/track car

---'81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 rescued from junkyard, Lemons Rally/"GT" car

19 hours ago, cda951 said:

A fan shroud is beneficial for directing air through the radiator at idle and low vehicle speeds, but it shouldn't be at the expense of airflow through the entire core at higher speeds. I do not understand why it is so common in the performance aftermarket to offer a huge radiator and then slap on an aluminum fan shroud that blocks airflow through almost half of the core, see attached link for an example. I guess it's ideal for cruising the strip during Hot August Nights . . . .

Late-model BMWs and most other modern cars use a shroud with hinged flaps that are closed at idle and low speed, but they get pushed open when driving at highway speeds (and of course all modern cars have movable shutters to entirely block airflow through the radiator for aerodynamic purposes, but that's another story).

That is my feeling as well.  A lot of the shows I watch are in based in the southern states (Cali and Texas) .  Getting stuck in traffic with a 600hpV8 may be an issue there, But not here in the great white north. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002