• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

article ....... 2002 history variants

The only part I'm not sure about is this: BMW improved reliability when it introduced the 2002 tii and lengthened the four-speed transmission's gear ratios. Longer gears resulted in improved fuel economy but prevented significant performance gains over the previous 2002 ti.

The 2002 wasn't the first car the BMW launched in the United States

That's the first line of the article.  It has an article in the wrong place, and "The BMW" didn't launch The BMW-

importer Max Hoffman did it for them.  As we all know.  Ahh, this is going to be fun.

(continues reading, salivating)

Legendary importer Max Hoffman is responsible for BMW bringing the 2002 to our market, having requested a sportier version of the 1602 that would also pass emissions requirements.

Ah, right, there we go- but the 1600-2 engine upgrade started with a backstory.

And as noted, the 1600-2 was at the beginning of the run, the 1602 was later... and the 1502 even later.

I'm sure we'll see those model variants later in the article, as they made and sold quite a few of them internationally.

Max was certainly legendary.  As in, infamous, hmm?

1968-1971 BMW 2002 Ti

an outrageous 20 percent increase in output 

was never sold in the US.

And 20 bhp (20% of 100) might be outrageous in a...

hmmm...

lawnmower, in these days of 400 bhp motorcycles and snowmobiles.

1970 BMW 2002 Ti Diana

They made what, 10, and never sold in the US.  And were some extra headlights?

1971-1974 BMW 2000/2002 Touring

Based on the BMW 2002 notchback, this hatchback version of BMW's sporty two-door offered more cargo space. The Touring could be had with the 100-hp single-carburetor engine or the tii's 120-hp dual-carburetor setup. An automatic version was offered from 1971 to 1972, with only 989 vehicles sold.

Almost missed this one.  Based on what?  The notchback is a VW Type3 variant. 

And I'm sure they meant the TI's dual carburettor setup.  

the 2002 Baur Cabriolet maintained much of the coupe's rigidity thanks to its roof hoop.

oh, happy day.  Oh, wait, no, it really didn't, as the 'hoop' didn't have any torsional rigidity at all.

BMW improved reliability when it introduced the 2002 tii and lengthened the four-speed transmission's gear ratios

BMW used the same gear ratios from 1968 until 1992.  

Even the diff stayed the same.  Was photauthor thinking maybe changing synchro style?

Oh, wait, that happened slightly BEFORE the tii, about Diana time.

ooo, can't wait to see what photauthrophy the Turbo gets!

(holds breath)

a KKK turbocharger, modified cylinder heads,

awww, just a misplaced plural to make it seem like the thing's got a V4.  Saaaab.

Also some numbers without a footnote.

Hmm, I'm still waiting to hear about the 1600-2, 2000-2, 1800-2, 1800ti, 1802, and 1502!

Where are all the deets???  I mean,  we had to get the Diana, why not th REST of th story?

Well, that was fun.  I did not see any photo credits for the article

(admittedly I didn't look too hard) but for a photauthor, wouldn't that

be kinda...a  thing?

Yes, it's hard to get it all right.  But with the hinternet being what it is these days,

everyone's a critic.  And some of us have been doing this longer than others.

Being a critic, that is.

t

get off my lawn.  I need to hide under it.

• Haha 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I hate to be picky, and folks have mentioned a number of other mistakes in the Motor Trend story, but here are a few more I gleaned.  They shoulda run the draft past us picky folks on the FAQ...where the real 2002 expertise is,

The Touring could be had with the 100-hp single-carburetor engine or the tii's 120-hp dual-carburetor setup. 

Oops...Tourings could be had with a fuel injected tii engine (not dual carbs), and in Euro trim, 130 hp.

This is the highest-performance, rarest, (Turbo)

Another oopsie--the rarest 2002 model is the full convertible (only 200 built)

1968-1975 BMW 2002 Production Variants

Finally, they missed altogether those Baur-built full convertibles  built in 1970/71--a completely different animal from the "Targa" cabriolets...And there were another 1600 or so 1600 full convertibles built too.

Oh well...more semi-correct information to confuse future generations...

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

3 hours ago, visionaut said:

Coulda been written by an AI…

If Sports Illustrator can do it why not MT? Let’s be honest, they aren’t exactly the subject matter experts on any car unless that manufacturer is backing the article. 

• Like 1

Series 1, 1969 2002

Instagram: joseiden_bmwerke

3 hours ago, Joesprocket said:

unless that manufacturer is backing the article

I know, right!? 20+ years ago, Autoweek published Motor Trend's 'application' for car of the year, which included estimated advertising spend with Motor Trend for the car for the year 😛 

• Haha 1

1976 2002 - Segundo

1936 Ford pickup hotrod, 2010 Honda Ridgeline

Segundo blog

Paoli (PA) Car Show - Oct 5, 2024

5 hours ago, Mike Self said:

Another oopsie--the rarest 2002 model is the full convertible (only 200 built)

not sure I've seen a pic of one of those, can we locate all 200 or how many left? and is that white interiors in pic 3/19 in the artlce? never seen that either.

On 2/18/2024 at 9:32 PM, NMDerek said:

not sure I've seen a pic of one of those, can we locate all 200 or how many left?

Carl Nelson (La Jolla Independent BMW Service) has (presume he still does) the only US spec 2002 convertible built.  Story goes that an AF guy stationed in Germany went to order a US spec 2002 directly from the factory in Munich (bypassing Hoffman Motors).  As he was going through the option list, one was listed as "convertible" (or possibly "cabriolet".  He checked the box, and he ended up with a US spec 2002 convertible.  I can verify the car is US spec because I've driven it.  It's Chamonix, and it has a 257XXXX VIN.  It's featured in a Katy Perry music video, so you might be able to find it on You Tube or elsewhere.  

Carl's car is definitely an outlier, as the other 200 or so were not made to US specs.  There was also a unique-to-convertible color, Kondor Gelb.  Saw a 1600 convertible painted that color at Vintage many years ago, when it was held at Sheldon Winery in NC.

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

16 hours ago, NMDerek said:

not sure I've seen a pic of one of those, can we locate all 200 or how many left? and is that white interiors in pic 3/19 in the artlce? never seen that either.

There was even a handfull more than the 200 but hey had their own Baur B or TP vins  (even tii existed)

Edited by uai

2 hours ago, NMDerek said:

this one?

The many colors available to European buyers . . . | BMW 2002 and other '02

Was that a Texas car at one point?

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000