• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Main Cap Washers (?)

2002#3

The M10 block I am assembling came with thin plain washers on the main caps.  I have read on FAQ three versions of such washers: 

(i) BMW did not use washers.

(ii) BMW used plain thin wave washers.

(iii) Use the thick heavy washers like those used on the head.  

Opinions, please.

Thanks

Looking back at my block assembly there are thin wave washers under the main cap bolts. Original to the engine, first time it was invaded since March of 1974 build.

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

A hardened wave washer would normalize the friction between the bolt and the washer.

t

use motor oil.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• 1 month later...

Interesting...Would like an answer from those who build race engines here. If they use these wave washers for their engines, or they run without. Because not everyone runs with ARP, I think.

Something that is quite interesting is that in the S14 engines there are no washers, but the same bolt 11111735525 as for the M10 and many more.

Am in the starting pit to start building my race engine, so it would be interesting to have some input here.

You'd need a good sized pile of those washers to make a pound, but I do agree that you need to save ounces to make a pound.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

10 minutes ago, Schnellvintage said:

I have used wave washers on every engine I have built also.

Same here but I have had quite many of the wave washers crack in two pieces so I do see a point getting rid of them inside the engine. Not sure if any of the failures occured on the main bolts. Anyway, using the wave washers couple of times is ok but several times, not so good in critical places.

• Like 2

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

I'll look next time I'm inside one of mine, but I don't think I do use wave warshers.

Byron, we're waiting for you to admit what you do...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL