• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

F'ing fast.

Go to solution Solved by TobyB,

Ok, so i am chilling in my happy place right now and wondering about the aerodynamic limits of the 02.  How fast and how stable are they? If I end up putting the K24 in it (after I scatter my M10), it would have say on the conservative side, 500hp to the wheels. 

A K24 with a redline of say 10K (even 9K) will put me well over 100MPH, likely close to 120-140.   How stable are these things at that speed.  Are we talking a massive splitter and tail with ground effects and under body stuff to keep me planted.?

Just wondering.... and a sip of my drink. 

Edited by Dudeland
Grammer (LOL)

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Depends upon how long the straight is on the track you are driving on at that speed. 

It isn't about aero, it is about the suspension.  I could get to 125+ before T1 brake zone at Summit Point in my 02.  No real aero aids.  Rock solid.

• Like 1

2xM3

I think the front air dam helps significantly. I would start losing nerve around 130. But I'm old and wimpy.

You might have more precarious issues with (sudden loss of) traction at lower speeds with that sort of power.

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

At Kymiring long straight braking zone I’ve hit 150 mph. No fuss. Front a/dam, rear wing + some minor aero bits. Suspension needs to be in order (and brakes).

• Like 1

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

110 in my Tii but like all 70’s cars as soon as you get a bit of air under the front of the car it starts to get a bit disconcerting, that said once I did the suspension build Same road same speed much better, a front spoiler may help a bit but I dont want that look, much prefer a good twisty road at least I can give my mates 911 a bit of a challenge then, I cant touch him for straight line speed, and I’m to old to try🙄 what I tend to do now is race him to the surf, last one in gets the coffee after, beat him everytime, usually because I hide his keys before we head off…. Never said it had to be fair😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

13 hours ago, Einspritz said:

The wind noise is horrendous, so use your stereo accordingly.

Way ahead of you.  Santa brought me this.   It will allow the wind to blow through my ever decreasing amount of hair.  The intercom part of this will be great with the windows down, and my co-pilot (be it 2 legged or 4). 

image.thumb.png.d4e9f43707975bbea490881198a9555a.png

image.thumb.png.e644d2c61c1db1a628f915ad51949be7.png

WWW.RUGGEDRADIOS.COM

Talk between passengers, communicate with other vehicles, listen to High-Fidelity Music and make phone calls - our complete communication kits do it all! This Complete Communication Kit features the 696 PLUS REMOTE HEAD Intercom which has all the features of our best-selling...

Edited by Dudeland
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

13 hours ago, M3M3 said:

It isn't about aero, it is about the suspension. 

I agree. I will need to tighten things up for sure. I like the idea of 2 way adjustable shocks.  I have been waffling between a couple of different coil over suppliers.  In the while I am at it bucket, I think I will put a servo assist steering in it as the meats will make it difficult to parallel park here in the Big Smoke. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

If I drive in the triple digits I feel that there's more important things to pay attention too than the speedo so I never look.

• Like 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

• Solution

120-140

there's a huge difference between 120 (150bhp) and 140 (I don't know, way more than I make)

It's impressive hitting the aero wall at Portland without the chicane.  You come piling out of 11, right up to the wall,

shift to 4th, shift to 5th before start/ finish.... and sit there.  Just, sit there.  You can FEEL the air holding the car back.

Data goes flatline on everything.

Spokane, old course, even more so.  Every mph of a tailwind is another mph at turn 1.

I was breaking rockers when we got a 25mph tailwind, because I was undergeared.  And undersprung.

Ride height matters, static camber matters, but when you get 150 bhp of air resistance, there you sit.

300 probably comes on about 145, volume being the cubed bitch that it is.

The E46 will pass 140 with an advertised 225 bhp, (barely) but the brick?  No way...

t

• Like 4

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

15 hours ago, TobyB said:

there's a huge difference between 120 (150bhp) and 140 (I don't know, way more than I make)

It's impressive hitting the aero wall at Portland without the chicane.  You come piling out of 11, right up to the wall,

shift to 4th, shift to 5th before start/ finish.... and sit there.  Just, sit there.  You can FEEL the air holding the car back.

Data goes flatline on everything.

Spokane, old course, even more so.  Every mph of a tailwind is another mph at turn 1.

I was breaking rockers when we got a 25mph tailwind, because I was undergeared.  And undersprung.

Ride height matters, static camber matters, but when you get 150 bhp of air resistance, there you sit.

300 probably comes on about 145, volume being the cubed bitch that it is.

The E46 will pass 140 with an advertised 225 bhp, (barely) but the brick?  No way...

t

Very interesting, kinda what I expected.  I am not much interested in going more than 130.  I am not sure what the tracks here in Ontario will support.  Mosport is the track that sticks out in my head.  Once she gets back in one piece I am joining a local car club that have a couple of track days on the schedule.

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

On 2/10/2024 at 10:17 PM, ray_ said:

I think the front air dam helps significantly. I would start losing nerve around 130. But I'm old and wimpy.

You might have more precarious issues with (sudden loss of) traction at lower speeds with that sort of power.

Cheers,

I expect that traction will be a problem with the horsepower that a K24 would produce. I can't be an idiot at those speeds. I have a couple of folks around here that set up suspension.  I am waffling on a couple of vendors for suspension.  For sure I am thinking 2 way adjustable dampers.

All this takes budget and time.  As I get older budget becomes less of an issue than time.   Suspension and any engine upgrades will have to be 2025 decision.  I just started on the floor, and it needs a bit more work as there is a random hole cut in the transmission tunnel and a bit of water got in causing a bit of surface rust.   

Regards

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002