• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

F'ing fast.

Go to solution Solved by TobyB,

I suspect it wouldn’t be that hard to make a rear diffuser, or more to the point make something that looks like a rear diffuser,  template it out and use someone like Send-Cut-Send.  But without actually testing it,  it may be pointless. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

While wind tunnel can  be the most effective, real- time data logging

(from a gopro looking at strings to pressure sensors linked to an inexpensive logger)

can be equally as informative, and a small part of the day-of work for a track day.

I did a low- effort real- time tire temp monitor, and we learned a LOT, later, from having the data.

It looks to me like the biggest bang for the buck is just a tall rear 'spoiler', a la Nascar.

That said, I run a very lightweight rear shell of a decklid, and if the rear trunk surface was generating

much lift, it'd distort that lid a LOT.  I guess I should video the thing to see for sure, but I've never seen it lifted

noticeably in other people's video of my butt...

t

not photogenic

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

1 hour ago, Dudeland said:

I suspect it wouldn’t be that hard to make a rear diffuser,

Great read by Willem Toet, former Head of Aerodynamics at Ferrari F1.

https://www.racetechmag.com/2017/08/willem-toet-explains-motorsport-diffusers/

Diffusers are simple in principle - a shaped piece of bodywork containing a venturi with a throat, tunnel and strakes that creates downforce from accelerating the flow of air, lowering its pressure to generate downforce - but complicated to design to fit under a given car. It’s tricky to a) increase volume along the length while b) maintaining attached flow along the tunnel geometry.

• Like 2

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com