• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

F'ing fast.

Go to solution Solved by TobyB,

This has been pretty well discused above.  I agree that the suspension is probably crucial if you hit those speeds.  I recently worked wtih Trevor at MCS to develop a 2-way adjustable with remote reservoir that might work for you.  You might give MCS a call and see what he might suggest.

• Like 2

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

Dah- with all that drag, just lift off.

Me in the aforementioned E46 were behind a Tesla model excessive the other day, and we hit a string of red lights

out of sync.

It had been launching pretty well, so when the last green before the freeway happened, I did, too.

It walked me as if I was standing still.  

I mean, I've been blown by by on the track by everything from a stock car to Paul Jaremko,

and this thing just left.

You read that the 0-60 is something like 3 seconds, but until the 2,5 ton bugger turns into a little red dot in front of

you, you don't really twig what that means in the real world.

So yeah, electric, huh?

t

• Like 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Some hopefully useful info…

Coefficient of drag for a 2002 = .42

(that’s similar to SUVs/Trucks nowadays).

The power needed to push an object through the air increases as the cube of the velocity. A car cruising on a highway at 50 mph may require only 10 horsepower to overcome aerodynamic drag, but that same car at 100 mph  requires 80 hp to overcome aero drag.   8 times the power for twice the velocity.

A Top Speed vs Power plot & curve.

(The dataset is the power and top speed data for all 122 cars tested by Road & Track magazine in 1998.)

Note that actual car power varies for a given Top Speed - mainly due to aero, traction and drivetrain differences. So datapoints below the line are ‘slippery/efficient’ cars and above the line are ‘bluff/inefficient’ (like a 2002).

I've actually done full aerodynamic calculations for the 2002, I need to look those back up..

Tom

IMG_1847.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

18 hours ago, visionaut said:

I've actually done full aerodynamic calculations for the 2002, I need to look those back up..

Tom

Tom, it would be fascinating to see your calculations for the 2002.  Most of us won't be able to do much about it, but it would make for interesting reading.

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

1 hour ago, Ian said:

Tom, it would be fascinating to see your calculations for the 2002.  Most of us won't be able to do much about it, but it would make for interesting reading.

Ian, I’ll try to dig it out (and turn it into something presentable - lol). 

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

3 minutes ago, visionaut said:

No tickey-tockey.. :(

On one of my computers the link works, on the other it doesn't
It shows a 2002 modelcar in a wind tunnel

Edited by uai
  • Like 1

If the smoke source was raised above the hood level and traversed up to roof level, I wonder what the air disturbance above the roof and the trailing smoke pattern is like.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

1 hour ago, Jim2002NY said:

135 is when the front wheels leave the ground and you lose steering...but that was in the '80s on I 95

That's too funny! (since you're still here)

I had a similar experience in the late '80s on I 95! But I was racing a Saab turbo in my '80 RX7 and back wheels seemed to be leaving the ground at 105. That was such an unsettling floaty feeling!

On another '80s day on I 95, I briefly got to 100 in my $250 '72 2002. The next day, I was pulling away from a stop sign when my tie rod end departed the tie rod. Thank God that didn't happen the day before at 100 MPH. 

• Like 2

1976 2002 - Segundo

1936 Ford pickup hotrod, 2010 Honda Ridgeline

Segundo blog

Paoli (PA) Car Show - Oct 5, 2024