• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CV bits. How much wear is too much wear?

eurotrash

Tearing down a high mileage set of axles from a '69 shows evidence of previous visits, and grooves/pits in the housing and the inner gear.

Balls look great, but the these are marks that I can clearly feel, not just polished areas. 

The Axles will be backing up a pretty ruckous motor build, 235/5 and a 2002 lsd, so we need to  be sure. 

Looking for expert insights on how much is too much wear. 

Thanks all! 

IMG_9710.jpeg

IMG_9707.jpeg

IMG_9704.jpeg

IMG_9703.jpeg

IMG_9701.jpeg

IMG_9711.jpeg

Edited by eurotrash
Adding pics from phone

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

Jason, good to see you're alive.  Hope all is well.

I know you know that it's relative.  But relative to my experience and frisky driving, I wouldn't want to run these.  Once you can feel it, wear increases exponentially (the x/y being over how long of a time and wear force), this being because they are induction hardened.

CV joints uncompromised by dirt intrusion due to torn boots last a long time, but not to infinity.  Any idea how many miles they have?  Given a stock engine and rational driver, they'd probably be OK.  But with the setup you're proposing, and the probable driver behind the wheel 😉...I'd replace 'em.  Is your project gonna be ready for the RGB Spring Drive?

Those on my '73 just turned over 275k (on the original, un-torn boots, amazingly) and exhibit no unusual noise or looseness, but I know their time is coming.  Perhaps I should carry a spare axle to Mid America...just in case.

mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

41 minutes ago, Stevenc22 said:

Can you even buy these parts anymore? I cant find them on WN or Rogers....

1) There was an eastern supplier that provided them to IE and LaJolla back in mid 2010's.

2) When still at IE one of the projects Jeff had me on was coordinating with Empi to have them remanufactured for the 2002.  They have their own OE-supplier factory.  The minimums were really high, but it was exclusive to IE.  The check was signed, samples were made/tested, and the production turned out really nice.   You can see the heating marks from the induction hardening process on them.

Assume these are from John Pantel’s 69.  Not sure if I kept the old joints from my 69. I’ll look today and report back.  

pm’s sent. My old joints went to the metal recycler long ago.

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Ok, I'm cheap and you asked. You got them nice and clean so reassemble dry and give them the rotate at slight angles in your hands test. How much resistance you feel rotating through the worn spot will turn into a click when really worn. If its not bad and they rotate freely in the opposite direction then I  would put them back running the other direction to wear on the other side

On 12/14/2023 at 9:24 AM, jgerock said:

Assume these are from John Pantel’s 69

Yep! :D  Thanks for your help and I ordered another pair from IE today.

Just need those dang caps now 😕

image.jpeg.39d3e898dbc7cb34ea68efa91053f82b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ab5f4c5b6d0cc2b6e0ef89a36e3699d4.jpeg

Edited by JohnP_02

1969 2002 Granada, 2nd owner

1976 2002 Fjordblau (owned 10 years)

A few steering wheels