• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found: 10mm wrench

Jim_75Sahara

Today I decided that it was time to put the 97 Miata to bed for the season. It was sitting on our driveway, so I drove it the short distance to our workshop in the backyard. I disconnected the battery, and I strategically placed a number of bars of Irish Spring soap throughout the car to discourage mice. Next, I removed a few leaves from the space near the firewall. However, instead of a leaf, I felt something solid and metallic. It was this 10mm wrench left there by a previous owner. For quite some time I believed that the rattle coming from the front was the fault of the hood being out of whack. Well, surprise, surprise, surprise!

IMG_3171.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 5

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Still looking for mine...it disappeared into a hollow crossmember under my truck's bed; that was two years ago.  All sorts of fishing with a magnet, compressed air etc hasn't turned it up.  And there are no large-enough drain holes, etc for it to fall out--only the ends, and they're uphill from the center section.  I'm still optimistic, though...

mike

image.png.90a97086fa813a1f7d1a1797a1e3aa7d.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

18 hours ago, Jim_75Sahara said:

For quite some time I believed that the rattle coming from the front was the fault of the hood being out of whack.

You may wrap the wrench with some foam or a clout and put it back. Then it won't rattle any longer.

henn

• Haha 6

I’m glad I’m not the only one finding loose tools. I don’t remember them all because there have been so many, but my first and biggest was a 3/8” socket wrench with an extender and spark plug socket connected. Found that one under the headlight. That’s a lot of tool to just leave behind.😳  I cleaned it up and it works fine.   

Since then, I’ve found a few screwdrivers, a bladed spark plug gap gauge, a box wrench, a pair of pliers, a whole bunch of live 22 rounds and more that I can’t remember at the moment.   Some previous owner had a real problem keeping track of their tools…and ammo. 

Edited by Lucky 7
  • Haha 2

For some reason I lose my 13mm socket more often than my 10mm socket. 🤷‍♂️ But, I am pleased to say it always finds its way back.

My most recent loss - and one that still haunts me 10 months later - is leaving my favorite 10R straight jaw vintage vice grip at the junkyard. My only hope is that the new owner loves it as much as I did. 🙂 

~Jason

Edited by JsnPpp
  • Sad 1

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!