• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One Improvement?

HLBlanton
Go to solution Solved by Gordon,

To sum it up, since it's a tii:

- higher compression pistons (don't do a cam, it won't run right)

- lower ratio rear end, since you've a 5spd

- (not previously suggested) get a 123 distributor so your curve is perfect (tii are sensitive to timing)

Edited by g_force
  • Like 1

Josh (in Dallas)

'72 tii

2 hours ago, tzei said:

300 deg cam is max you can get away with k-fish (as per factory: 11310631009).

Only if you know a great pump tuner and their getting pretty thin on the ground now days.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

8 hours ago, ray_ said:

BOO!

Or an S2?

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

Eeek. 

But, Ray,

despite the decorations being up in the Home Despots,

Halloween isn't for months yet...

t

• Haha 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• Solution

Since you have a 73 tii, do only one upgrade to the motor.  Rebuild it with higher compression pistons (9.5:1) to bring it up to Euro tii specs.  Leave the rest of the motor alone. 

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Gordon - that is what I've landed on. A modest change, but it is "on our way" so not a ton of work, and hopefully a bit of a bump.

I had gotten interested in putting in a Metric Mechanic engine (it looks like they do a good  job and thinking about 165HP makes me feel special.) My motor is not number matching so that isn't a problem.  But the price on the MM website says $10k and in fact is is now $13k. More importantly, there is more than a 12 month waitlist. Good for them I guess. 9.5# pistons for me.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I"ve learned a lot.

• Sad 1

On 8/4/2023 at 5:25 PM, popovm said:

but I am guessing they are talking about straight line grunt.

If so, then OP should just get a different car with a V8 and leave the poor little Tii be😉

Gruntiest car I ever owned was a 72 Nova with 427 big block, 373 posi, and Hurst line locks. Pretty much instant sideways if you wanted. Nothing that isn't a frame bending, driveline snapping, roll up in a ball and kill you 2002 monster mutant can approach that.

02 wise that is..

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

On 8/6/2023 at 9:02 AM, tech71 said:

If so, then OP should just get a different car with a V8 and leave the poor little Tii be😉

Gruntiest car I ever owned was a 72 Nova with 427 big block, 373 posi, and Hurst line locks. Pretty much instant sideways if you wanted. Nothing that isn't a frame bending, driveline snapping, roll up in a ball and kill you 2002 monster mutant can approach that.

02 wise that is..

Yup, agreed!

Lookin' like the 9.5 is the way to go. But where to get 100 octane? I guess I can get some 5 gallon pails shipped from Sunoco (I am in SF and definitely don't want to store a 54-gallon drum here. Get 6 pails at a time I guess - 3 to fill it up, and 3 spares. Long drives will take a bit of planning to find stations that carry the good stuff.

Any thoughts on what my expectations should be with the 9.5 w/ 100 octane juice should be?