• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E21 is limited slip

Go to solution Solved by Lowered and Louvered,

yes, converted my 3.90 to 3.64

Update:

Mine was converted at Metric Mechanic - Jim has some modifications he can also do to have the limited slip engage faster. He has lots and lots of experience. I have also read that the ring and pinions are always a matched set, so mixing and matching rings and pinions is not recommended. Will it work, of course, will it whine that a sumofabitch - probably.

DSCF0010.JPG

Edited by Russell74Fjord
add picture
  • Like 2

3.91 ratio in the e21 LSD vs 3.90 ratio in the 2002 diff means they use different number of pinion gear teeth to get that different ratio…  

You can likely change what’s in your LSD but might need a non-2002 pinion source??

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

Small case is small case, regardless of source. Decide what gear ratio you want, find a set (here, eBay, etc), and get someone qualified to swap the gear sets. Spoiler, diff builders tend to charge more than you are probably expecting for this, so it might make more sense to find a diff already setup with the ratio you want. The only thing to watch for is the pinion splines. They could be fine or course, so you need a matching flange.

Edited by Furry Camel
adding more info
  • Like 1

Yeah, it's a time- intensive process to reset a ring and pinion, 

so it doesn't tend to be cheap.  It also makes sense to find a 

BMW shop, as they'll have the spacers and shims already.

As to the original question, can YOU set up a different ring and pinon

in a case- yes, IF you're methodical and careful.  But it's not like

changing a bearing in a transmission- you'll have to measure, measure again,

reshim, and check the contact pattern.  And potentially go through a 

few sleeves and seals, if you get unlucky.

The E21 manual is out in the interwebs, and it's the last BMW source for

info on resetting diffs the BMW way.  That said, lots of others 

(Toyota, for sure) use a crush- sleeve system, and they're all pretty similar.

So there are plenty of sources for info.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

A. The 3.90 diffs. (U.S. 1976 49-state versions only) have 39-tooth ring gears and 10-tooth pinions.

B. The 3.91 diffs. (E21 era) have 43-tooth ring gears and 11-tooth pinions.

C. The 3.64 diffs. (just about everything except Euro-spec tii’s and turbos) have 40-tooth ring gears and 11-tooth pinions.

Are those 11-tooth pinions (in B. and C.) the same part? Stated differently, assuming you’re willing to make the necessary adjustments, including shims, etc., to create a correct contact pattern, can you convert your 3.91 into a 3.64 by installing a 40-tooth ring gear in place of the 43-tooth gear? Or do you, realistically, need to swap in a ring-and-pinion set?

Thanks and regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

To respond to your specific question directly, "can I change the ring pinion from my old rear end?" the answer is, "Yes, assuming you mean swapping both the ring AND pinion, along with the related seal, crush sleeve, and shims. As @Furry Camel noted above, you’ll need to have an appropriate input flange, but you could also get that from your old diff.”

• Like 2

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

It may be easier to just shift you lsd unit into the other case using that ring and pinion, this will save you from doing a set up from scratch and can just adjust the contact pattern with the side covers.

• Like 3

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

5 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

It may be easier to just shift you lsd unit into the other case using that ring and pinion, this will save you from doing a set up from scratch and can just adjust the contact pattern with the side covers.

Previous threads on swapping brought out the side covers that are needed are $$ because there is a width difference.  A drawing was provided to machine them.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Or do you, realistically, need to swap in a ring-and-pinion set?

Always as a set.  Even if you have 2 seemingly identical sets, they're set up by the factory to run as

a pair, and there is a number scribed onto the pinion itself telling you what setup adjustment

from standard you need to make to make that gearset run together.

In addition, once the gears are set in the case, they run together in a particular way

such that changing one or another might cause a problem.

Hypoid gear teeth are really pretty darned complex surfaces to machine.

t

• Like 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I used to have a number of e21 limited slip diffs. As I recall they also came in a 3.64 ratio with limited slip. I had one on a 1977 320i which was very dangerous to drive in wet conditions. If you weren't ginger on the accelerator in slippery conditions, your tail would spin around to the front.

Back in the day these diffs were pretty cheap. I removed a few from cars at salvage yards for $75 each. To be frank, I never really cared for them for the street. They are plain dangerous in wet conditions.

I have a 4.11 long neck diff which was converted to limited slip by a very competent builder. I gave him a 3.90 limited slip I sourced from the wrecking yard along with a 4.11 open long neck. And, he did his magic and created my diff from the two for $900. That was about 15 years ago. Was it worth it ? No ! not really, not for the way I use my car.

You got to check your oil level in the LSD frequently vs. an open diff because the LSD runs hotter and goes through gear oil faster.

• Like 1