• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to make a small fortune restoring cars...

WRKO

5 hours ago, bavariaboy said:

But we all know the line about boats.

And yet another:  "A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money."  Kinda like a 2002, except for the water...

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Farming, pretty much the same routine.

t

the money just pours out of the internets like water from a fire hydrant.

• Haha 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I have a friend who races very expensive vintage cars.  He had another friend who wanted to go to dinner to discuss getting into the game.  At dinner, Jerry asked him if he had $100 bill on him, he handed it over and Jerry put it into the candle at the table and let it burn.  Jerry told him it that bothers you, don’t get into racing.  
Pretty much sums up old cars. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

'72 2002Tii Inka   2760698
'65 Porsche 356SC

I am almost finished my (slight) restomod….12 months…trim - interior - sound system - carpets - instruments - heater box - wheels - stuff not working - most weekends doing something ….and just received my cam so my mechanic finishing the rebuild which is well above my skill level…and dropping in a rebuilt motor in the next two-three weeks…and when I say finished…it’s only until the next thing starts acting up…but I can’t imagine someone ever make a living restoring / selling these cars if I apply any value to my time …but I can tell you, having owned a number of air cooled 911s, my 2002 has been a pleasant surprise to sensible pricing as far as parts are concerned AND the community on FAQ is incredibly knowledgeable and helpful.  Truly remarkable .

• Like 1

1973 BMW 2002 Restomod - Fjord Blue on Nutmeg 

21 hours ago, TobyB said:

Farming, pretty much the same routine.

t

the money just pours out of the internets like water from a fire hydrant.

Farmer wins the lottery - 2 million dollars - and is asked what he will do with the winnings.  "Well," he says, "I guess I'll just keep farming until it's all gone."

• Haha 2

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged

4 hours ago, PapaG said:

Planes, boats, horses. In that order. Fancy cars come in 4th, maybe.

Per a banker I know: Never loan money for something that floats, flys, or fcks.

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged