• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The 02, Heading Towards "Collector - Garage Queen" Status.

Slavs

On 7/13/2021 at 8:50 AM, Tdh said:

Dammit @Slavs,

So now I have to stop snowboarding and skating?  Should I also give up Brazilian jiu jitsu?   At 51, by your standards, I must look pretty foolish!?

Content removed by Author.

Edited by Slavs

On 7/10/2021 at 3:41 PM, Slavs said:

Unfortunately, that's all the kids can afford and attain. These newer cars are faster, but so what ? Like all modern cars, they were designed to be disposed of within ten years.

This I think is the real tragedy here.  It's not just Porsches and 2002s, any and all cars that reward tinkering and true driving skills are being driven out of the market, not because there are no people that want to buy them, but because there are no people that want to and are in a position to buy them NEW! Personally I think it has a lot to do with the Big Lease Game that nowadays is so lucrative for dealerships. So those of us, young and old alike, are left to fight each other for whatever turns up on the used market.  I half wonder if the current large uptick in new electric vehicles will help briefly push more of the fun used stuff onto the market, but even if it does it'll only be temporary and the driving/tinkering-for-pleasure crowd faces a pretty uncertain future market.

But for Pete's sake @Slavs , let go of some of that E30 hate, buddy! They're perfectly great cars for certain things.  I too prefer my 2002 for any winding mountain roads, but the tire clearances, suspension options, and general lower-parts-cost-if-you-happen-to-meet-a-tire-wall lead me to preferring my E30 for:

03-05-2021 JTI-3047.jpg

(And no, once all the unnecessary bits are removed, it's not at all too heavy!!!)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Slavs said:

Twenty years ago I purchased an 330 325is convertible ( I think it was an 87) from the original owner with 75,000 miles on the clock.

It was a very well maintained car which was garaged, and all the rubber seals were in excellent shape along with the interior and top.

But, this thing was HEAVY ! compared to what I'm used to. There was a shimmy prob;em as the wheel vibrated when slowing down. This is typical of these cars. And, I replaced the front bushings and sickle shaped control arms to correct the problem. Shortly later the exhaust down pipe cracked, also a common and typical problem on these cars. It was a pain in the behind to replace for a home mechanic like me. Then one night while I was out at night in the Hollywood Hills on Mt. Olympus the engine caught fire. I jumped out, opened the hood, and took off my favorite sweater to smother the fire. Evidently the spark plug wires shorted because the bracket on the head which holds them in place is very sharp. As the engine vibrated while working the sharp bracket eventually ate through the wires, Other than the spark plug wires everything was OK as I put it out on time, ruining my favorite sweater. After I installed a new spark plug harness, which was pretty damn expensive, I had enough and sold the car. I went back to my 69 1600 which never let me down, especially in the Hollywood Hills. With its 4.11 diff and revy motor it is a perfect tailor made fit for that place.

The E30 was the worst experience I've had with a BMW. I swore I will never buy a newer BMW than the 2002.

First the reason your e30 felt heavy is because the convertibles weigh more because of body reinforcement to compensate for the missing roof. They also can retain water in the interior adding extra weight.

Second it sounds like the previous owner took good care of the cosmetics on the car but probably neglected the mechanical maintenance. Vibration under braking is usually warped rotors. I've always found e30s pretty easy to work on. Originally the spark plug wire loom thing had plastic to protect the wires but a lot of aftermarket wires are thicker and won't fit in the plastic part so it gets tossed.

Third In 1987 they updated the e30's and had electrical issues. I've had multiple old school bmw mechanics tell me to stay away from late 87-89 cars.

Fourth you can't judge a car model by just one example, sounds like you bought a lemon.

8 hours ago, 2002iii said:

First the reason your e30 felt heavy is because the convertibles weigh more because of body reinforcement to compensate for the missing roof. They also can retain water in the interior adding extra weight.

Second it sounds like the previous owner took good care of the cosmetics on the car but probably neglected the mechanical maintenance. Vibration under braking is usually warped rotors. I've always found e30s pretty easy to work on. Originally the spark plug wire loom thing had plastic to protect the wires but a lot of aftermarket wires are thicker and won't fit in the plastic part so it gets tossed.

Third In 1987 they updated the e30's and had electrical issues. I've had multiple old school bmw mechanics tell me to stay away from late 87-89 cars.

Fourth you can't judge a car model by just one example, sounds like you bought a lemon.

My E30 experience doesn't match what your old school mechanics suggested. I owned a 1989 325is for 14 years and drove it from 100k to well north of 200k with nearly zero issues. The crank sensor failed at around 180k, but that was the only non maintenance item during those 14 years.

I bought the E30 to commute in and not modify which I did a pretty good job at. By the end I did a 100% OE 5 speed conversion and H&R race springs, Koni dampers, E36 steering rack and  Ronal LS wheels.

At the same time we owned a 1968 2002 so I drove the cars back to back all the time. The suspension and steering mods helped the E30 feel a lot more lively but you just can't mask 35-40% more weight. 

An early 2002 is a car I have fallen in love with, the E30 never could generate that spark.

Great car, but it's no 2002.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Slavs said:

Carl, We're almost neighbors.

Yes, I mentioned Mt (aka Mt. San Antonio), the tallest peak in the San Gabriel Mts. at just over 10,000 ft. I've been skiing that mountain since the 70s.

I lived in Claremont from 1991-2004, made that trip in my 02 many a time up the canyon to the Mt. Baldy lifts. Good memories.

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

8 hours ago, Slavs said:

The e30 convertible is heavier in comparison to the sedan, but the sedan is also heavy in comparison to an 02, especially a 2,000lb early 02. All new cars are heavy despite their size due to safety regulations and expectations from buyers. Everybody wants all the comforts including climate control etc. The Mazda Miata attempted the emulate the Lotus of the mid 60s, but was 1,000lbs heavier.

You should try a 91 E30 M42 powered 318i/318is.  It only weighs 2600 lbs.  To enjoy a M42 powered E30, you have to drive it like you stole it, the DOHC M42 comes alive after 3500 RPM.  Besides my tii, my 91 318i sedan is my DD as long as there isn't any salt on the roads. The M42 gets great gas mileage and it always puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. 

44243102_10213136246826729_6159250773415821312_n.jpg

IMG_4377.jpg

• Like 1

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner