• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

World's Best Preserved '66 now on BaT...

02Anders

Well, it appears my old Derby grey '66 BMW 1600-2 is looking for a new owner again...

I'm sure you guys have already seen it, but here's the link nonetheless: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-bmw-1600-2/

I still absolutely adore this little sweetheart!  Probably the car I most regret selling, and if there was anyway I could possibly buy it back...  I would!
Sadly, that's not going to happen right now.
Will be interesting to see where the bidding goes.  And not least, who the next owner becomes.
Of course, there are still plenty of people who will only ever consider a 2002tii.  If it doesn't have Kugelfischer, it's barely worth looking at.  I clearly don't subscribe to that line of thought, but what do you guys think?  Is this 1600-2 worth tii money or not?  And why?

D7DC1ABE-4438-403D-B12D-6528651CCBE3.jpeg

Edited by 02Anders
  • Like 11

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

I think so!  But I am a 1600 fan/owner myself & feel they are as collectible as 2002's.  Even more so because there were far fewer made and imported to the US.  I would really like to know how many are actually left and still on the road.  It will be very interesting to see where this ends up and I will be watching with great interest.  Thanks for posting.  I don't watch BAT that often and would not have seen it come up.

• Like 1

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

It’s still gorgeous, Anders!

The car is so amazing that I believe anyone who buys it, at any price, will respect it’s integrity.

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

40 minutes ago, jscaptura1 said:

I think so!  But I am a 1600 fan/owner myself & feel they are as collectible as 2002's.  Even more so because there were far fewer made and imported to the US.  I would really like to know how many are actually left and still on the road.  It will be very interesting to see where this ends up and I will be watching with great interest.  Thanks for posting.  I don't watch BAT that often and would not have seen it come up.

To be honest, where I used to frequent the good old BaT quite regularly, I don't really bother with the current BaT.  It traded its charm and integrity for $$$$...
But when your old car pops up on BaT, I guess it's only natural to take notice...

9 minutes ago, Conserv said:

It’s still gorgeous, Anders!

The car is so amazing that I believe anyone who buys it, at any price, will respect it’s integrity.

Best regards,

Steve

I hope you're right Steve...  

• Like 2

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

Wow Anders! That’d certainly be an awesome one to add to any BMW collection. Even though my own ‘66 needs some big wrinkles removed, I may still keep it until I can afford to make it whole again, especially if your old car sells for big money!

• Like 2

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

2 hours ago, tjones02 said:

Wow Anders! That’d certainly be an awesome one to add to any BMW collection. Even though my own ‘66 needs some big wrinkles removed, I may still keep it until I can afford to make it whole again, especially if your old car sells for big money!

Well, if the sale of this one can justify the resurrection of your '66, then that's surely a win-win...

• Thanks 1

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

There are no words. Well, a few. This is a treasure.  I would repeat my journey of 49 years ago in this car. From Philadelphia across the Mackinac Straits, cruise Trans Canada 1 at 85-90 mph to Vancouver, down the Coast Road to LA, back through the southwest and home.  A glorious two month road trip.

Never hiccupped. $3,000 off the showroom floor. Not even a radio. We were lucky Mad Max didn't charge for doors. 

This is a real M10

Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very cool--and original--car.  Thanks to Anders for so obsessively keeping it original--when the easy thing would have been to use "close but not exact" parts.  

I've often wondered what ever  became of the earliest 16oo I've ever seen, 1500510.  It belonged to a guy int he LA area, who owned several early 02s, including 1760009.  This was back around 1987-88; perhaps someone on the board knows of the cars.  

Hopefully the new owner of Anders' car will take as meticulous care of it as he has.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

6 hours ago, 02Anders said:

To be honest, where I used to frequent the good old BaT quite regularly, I don't really bother with the current BaT.  It traded its charm and integrity for $$$$...
But when your old car pops up on BaT, I guess it's only natural to take notice...

Anders, I totally agree with your assessment of BAT, used to watch it all the time but has seemed to have lost some its charm over the past year or so, at least in my opinion.  Your 1600 is the  standard that the rest of us hope to reach! 

• Like 1

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

I enjoy my Tii but I certainly don’t think they are any better than other 02’s, they all have their great points, and this beauty most definitely has more than a few, an absolute credit to dedication!

Also if I’m not wrong Anders Red car is a thing of beauty as well!

Edited by SydneyTii
  • Like 1