• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

World's Best Preserved '66 now on BaT...

02Anders

3 minutes ago, radiocure said:

Gave it best shot...

Radio,  I was watching and hoping that someone would come up with a big price jump to scare others off.  But nice try though!

• Like 1

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

51 minutes ago, jscaptura1 said:

I think the buyer got a pretty good deal.  If I had the $ to be bidding that high, I certainly would have gone higher.  Just my opinion.

Wish I could have been bidding rather than just providing the commentary... ?

• Like 1

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

2 hours ago, 02Anders said:

Whooooaar...  that was exciting!!  Sold for $ 53,500
Surely, a new record for non til/turbo 02s...??

Holy sh*t, Anders! That must have blown away all records for 1600-2’s, excepting, perhaps, 1600ti’s...

Finally, old ‘02’s are getting the traction they deserve.

Your comments and knowledge, no doubt, really helped it along!

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

38 minutes ago, radiocure said:

Started doing math with buyers fee and dreaded sales tax, then froze up.

It was fun to watch and that is one thing I always forget about when people are bidding.  It was fun to live vicariously through you when you were bidding!  Nice try & good luck on the next one!

• Like 1

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

Certainly a charming piece. With much history and a trail of ownership. And there in lies the dilemma with it. Stock 1.6, 6v, early brakes , etc means the driving dynamics are...charming

Far too nice to modify and really use. Probably best suited for display in a collection , occasional lawn events ,cleaning and cataloging minutiae.  Different strokes

Hoping to not to rain on anyone’s parade

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maharaja said:

Certainly a charming piece. With much history and a trail of ownership. And there in lies the dilemma with it. Stock 1.6, 6v, early brakes , etc means the driving dynamics are...charming

Far too nice to modify and really use. Probably best suited for display in a collection , occasional lawn events ,cleaning and cataloging minutiae.  Different strokes

There are people that still daily drive older vehicles even though you don’t. 

As far as stock 1600 being a “charming” drive, I daily drive an original 1962 International Scout and that original 1600 may as well be a space ship compared my Scout’s driving experience. 

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Conserv said:

Holy sh*t, Anders! That must have blown away all records for 1600-2’s, excepting, perhaps, 1600ti’s...

Finally, old ‘02’s are getting the traction they deserve.

Your comments and knowledge, no doubt, really helped it along!

Best regards,

Steve

Thx Steve.  These early cars deserve way more credit than they get.  And I genuinely don't understand why that is?
Try rocking up at a Porsche meet in a first-year swb 911 and the entire place will grind to a halt as everybody drools uncontrollably.  How about a flat-floor E-type at a Jaguar meet - that's right, same story.  And then try a '66 BMW 1600-2 at a BMW meet, and the vast majority will simply moan about it not having fuel injection, limited-slip diff, coil-overs and the biggest arb's on the northern hemisphere.  REALLY...??  ?
Anyway, I'm thoroughly pleased that there seems to be a slow shift in attitude and appreciation of these early 02s.  The price AMY achieved in this auction is proof.  But there is still more work to be done...  ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

11 hours ago, Shawn Piper said:

What are these black caps on the trunk hinge? I've never seen these before. Also the pinch weld is really different... not 2 segments like on the 02s

1966_bmw_1600_16143714479d59319d87d9DSC_

Shawn, early 02s had different hinges for the bootlid.  So it's not just the plastic caps, but the entire hinge.  This isn't just a '66 thing though.  Can't quite recall how long it was like this, but certainly into '68 - maybe even '69.  I'm sure Steve, , Mike, Slavs or one of the other pro's will correct me here...  ?

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

4 hours ago, maharaja said:

Sorry, but you've totally missed the point.
I owned this hugely original '66 for four years.  In that time, I took here on three major roadtrips - the biggest of which covered more than 2300 miles in a week.  I would also regularly take her out for a weekend blast down a twisty backroad in the Peak District.  The car was 1) hugely reliable and 2) hugely entertaining.  The small 1.6-litre is actually more rev happy than a stock 2-litre.  The car is also lighter than later 02s.  The brakes easily modulated and very direct.  The suspension forgiving and communicative.  Obviously, you're not going to be winning races in a stock 1600-2, but it was always a blast to drive and it delivered smiles per mile like any other 02.  I've always been the guy who drives and uses his classic cars on every given occasion, and frankly, I'd always choose another stock 1600-2 over some frankenstein 02 with big power and zero suspension travel...

But each to their own of course...  ?

2 hours ago, Lorin said:

There are people that still daily drive older vehicles even though you don’t. 

As far as stock 1600 being a “charming” drive, I daily drive an original 1962 International Scout and that original 1600 may as well be a space ship compared my Scout’s driving experience. 

Good man...  ?

Edited by 02Anders

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

11 hours ago, Shawn Piper said:

What are these black caps on the trunk hinge? I've never seen these before. Also the pinch weld is really different... not 2 segments like on the 02s

1966_bmw_1600_16143714479d59319d87d9DSC_

my early 68 build 1600-2 has those plastic bits.  I think they act to de-rattle the torsion rods attached to the lid

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 02Anders said:

Thx Steve.  These early cars deserve way more credit than they get.  And I genuinely don't understand why that is?
Try rocking up at a Porsche meet in a first-year swb 911 and the entire place will grind to a halt as everybody drools uncontrollably.  How about a flat-floor E-type at a Jaguar meet - that's right, same story.  And then try a '66 BMW 1600-2 at a BMW meet, and the vast majority will simply moan about it not having fuel injection, limited-slip diff, coil-overs and the biggest arb's on the northern hemisphere.  REALLY...??  ?
Anyway, I'm thoroughly pleased that there seems to be a slow shift in attitude and appreciation of these early 02s.  The price AMY achieved in this auction is proof.  But there is still more work to be done...  ?

Right!  If you first drive an E36 318ti, then get into an E30 318i with an M10, then a '76 2002, then a first year 2002, then a 1600-2 you'll "get it" and understand why these are desired...

Edited by calw
typo
  • Like 1