• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

World's Best Preserved '66 now on BaT...

02Anders

On 3/15/2021 at 9:46 PM, spuriouspseudo said:

Is this a block heater?

1966_bmw_1600_161436939409f9d59319d87d9DSC_2080-scaled.jpg?fit=2048%2C1363

My only enduring criticism of my own ‘67 1600-2’s 6-volt electricals was the first start of the day when outside temperatures dropped to the low 20’s (Fahrenheit). I lived in Pennsylvania, where that happened regularly — at least it did fifty years ago. If I didn’t have the car on a battery charger overnight, there was going to be a problem. A block heater — and even a battery warmer — was another way owners dealt with this issue.

But I’m especially excited about that block casting date. Is it “12E66”, May 12, 1966?

Regards,

Steve

FBDDE143-3FB3-468E-94FF-5D6C41756729.png

• Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

On 3/15/2021 at 10:12 PM, bavariaboy said:

There are no words. Well, a few. This is a treasure.  I would repeat my journey of 49 years ago in this car. From Philadelphia across the Mackinac Straits, cruise Trans Canada 1 at 85-90 mph to Vancouver, down the Coast Road to LA, back through the southwest and home.  A glorious two month road trip.

Never hiccupped. $3,000 off the showroom floor. Not even a radio. We were lucky Mad Max didn't charge for doors. 

This is a real M10

Steve

Steve, the fascinating thing is, when this car was 50 years old, I also did quite a few roadtrips in her.  First from Northern Sweden to Denmark.  Next major trip was from Denmark to the UK.  And finally, there was our participation in the Bavaria Tour 2016 where I added more than 2300 miles in a week.  Much like your experience, this simplest of little 02s just soldiered on and made every covered mile a pure pleasure.  What a car!!  ?

On 3/16/2021 at 12:02 AM, Mike Self said:

Very cool--and original--car.  Thanks to Anders for so obsessively keeping it original--when the easy thing would have been to use "close but not exact" parts.  

I've often wondered what ever  became of the earliest 16oo I've ever seen, 1500510.  It belonged to a guy int he LA area, who owned several early 02s, including 1760009.  This was back around 1987-88; perhaps someone on the board knows of the cars.  

Hopefully the new owner of Anders' car will take as meticulous care of it as he has.

mike

Thx Mike!  That genuinely means a lot coming from you... ?

On 3/16/2021 at 2:46 AM, spuriouspseudo said:

Is this a block heater?

1966_bmw_1600_161436939409f9d59319d87d9DSC_2080-scaled.jpg?fit=2048%2C1363

Quite a common aftermarket addition in northern Sweden and Norway.  It's obviously not OEM, but I figured it had been installed in the car for the vast majority of the cars life, so I decided it needed to stay as it's of course become part of the cars history and identity.  

22 hours ago, SydneyTii said:

I enjoy my Tii but I certainly don’t think they are any better than other 02’s, they all have their great points, and this beauty most definitely has more than a few, an absolute credit to dedication!

Also if I’m not wrong Anders Red car is a thing of beauty as well!

Thx buddy! ?
Just for the record, my Verona red 2002 is nowhere near as unmolested, unique and historically important as the Derby grey 1600-2 is.  But having owned the 2002 for all of 29 years and with it being the first car I ever bought, there's a massive affectionate value to me which no other car will ever be able to match.  But from a collector's point of view, the 1600-2 is in a very different league...

• Like 2

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

20 hours ago, Conserv said:

My only enduring criticism of my own ‘67 1600-2’s 6-volt electricals was the first start of the day when outside temperatures dropped to the low 20’s (Fahrenheit). I lived in Pennsylvania, where that happened regularly — at least it did fifty years ago. If I didn’t have the car on a battery charger overnight, there was going to be a problem. A block heater — and even battery warmers — was another way owners dealt with this issue.

But I’m especially excited about that block casting date. Is it “12E66”, May 12, 1966?

Regards,

Steve

FBDDE143-3FB3-468E-94FF-5D6C41756729.png

HaHaHa... you can always trust Steve to catch such a detail...  ?

But you are of course entirely right.  12th May 1966 for the engine block.  Interestingly, it would be more than three months before the car was produced...

• Like 1

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

2 hours ago, 02Anders said:

But having owned the 2002 for all of 29 years and with it being the first car I ever bought, there's a massive affectionate value to me which no other car will ever be able to match.

Anders, that is exactly how I feel about my 1600.  That was the first car I ever bought.  It has been rebuilt twice and most of the sheet metal from the bottom to about halfway up the car has been replaced.  After 36 years of ownership, it is still the vehicle that I value most, and always will for the same reasons you have expressed.  There is not much left on it that is original, that's I why I feel your old 1600 is so special, and in my opinion, worth every bit as much as a tii.  Looking through those pictures takes me back to when I was 18 when I bought the 1600 and how original and unmolested the car was (other than the rust) and all of the changes that were made to it over the years.  It will be very interesting to see the action on it tomorrow at the end of the auction.

• Like 1

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

6 hours ago, jscaptura1 said:

Anders, that is exactly how I feel about my 1600.  That was the first car I ever bought.  It has been rebuilt twice and most of the sheet metal from the bottom to about halfway up the car has been replaced.  After 36 years of ownership, it is still the vehicle that I value most, and always will for the same reasons you have expressed.  There is not much left on it that is original, that's I why I feel your old 1600 is so special, and in my opinion, worth every bit as much as a tii.  Looking through those pictures takes me back to when I was 18 when I bought the 1600 and how original and unmolested the car was (other than the rust) and all of the changes that were made to it over the years.  It will be very interesting to see the action on it tomorrow at the end of the auction.

As exciting as it is buying a 'new' classic car, nothing beats owning one for decades.  It becomes an unbreakable bond based on mutual drives, memories and experiences...

Oh, and trust you me!  - I too will be watching as the auction on my old '66 comes to an end...

• Like 2

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

Here we are leaving our wedding reception at an old country inn outside Pittsburgh, PA on May 19, 1973.  That's my, now our, Atlantik blue 1971 1600.  The one I described the 12,000 mile road trip in back in 1971.

We will be celebrating our 48th wedding anniversary this May 19th.  We sold the 1600 to buy a '74 3 liter Bavaria. After that is was four more Bavaria/3.0si cars and along the way five 3.0 liter coupes. Now we have downsized to Lilli, our 1976 Chaminox 2002 with 79,000 miles on the clock. 

What a road trip it has been.

Steve

20210108_153128_resized_1 (1).jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, bavariaboy said:

Apologies for the terrible reflections in the photo above. Will have to retake my photo of a photo better

I just thought it was a ‘73 photo with a fittingly... psychedelic vibe!

Best regards,

Steve C.

• Haha 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

This 1600 is very cool and its originality is highly appealing, and I say that as a new 74 Tii owner. The BAT auction for this car has been a treat to follow with all the former owners weighing in.  I have learned a lot about the car and the 1600 series, especially from 02Anders '66 Bible, a great read.  Would love to have one of these in my future.  

• Like 1

1974 2002tii Schwarz 

1973 Bavaria Sahara

1976 2002 Sahara once upon a time

@Slavs - Thx for your flattering words.  I did indeed go to great lengths in order to preserve this early 1600-2 as best possible.  But of course it's always a balance.

You are entirely correct about the upholstery being original.  Amazingly, the cloth, vinyl and padding of the seats are all factory original - that's a full 55 years old!  Yet it's flawless...  The early Perlon carpets are also factory original.
And yes, I put two new engine mounts on the 1600-2 as I wanted to be able to drive it.  And yes, I opted for the new style of engine mounts.  I did however place the two old engine mounts in the boot before handing over the car to the next owner.  So the original and correct engine mounts (albeit in a rather tired state) should still be with the car... ?

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

I think the buyer got a pretty good deal.  If I had the $ to be bidding that high, I certainly would have gone higher.  Just my opinion.

• Like 1

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)