• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rusty 74 TII

Dionk

3 hours ago, Dionk said:

All Solid points - with only the smallest dash of sarcasm. 

I’ll take a bunch of pictures in the next few weeks when I get back to the car, but your point on engine and system internals is the truth.  If there is no documentation and/or trust of the seller your just gambling - and even if you get the car for a bargain a bad gamble can mean there is a series of payments laying just over the horizon.

I’m sufficiently scared off.

If this is around here, beware of a money pit rusty car.  I’ve inspected multiple ones that were in horrific condition.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

19 hours ago, bluehills2002 said:

. . . and there is a current auction ending tomorrow for what is described as a ‘74 Tii project on BAT with no reserve, now at $11,500, albeit with what sounds like less rust than what you are looking at.  Tom

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-bmw-2002tii-96/

Having inspected the BAT car a couple of days ago I can tell you I couldn’t bring myself to bid on it at all....  a dedicated salvager might get 11K out of selling it part by part over a period of years, but it needs to go right back on the rotisserie for a do-over.  I have really enjoyed reading Delia at “maximum restraint”, though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

42 minutes ago, 0257 said:

Having inspected the BAT car a couple of days ago I can tell you I couldn’t bring myself to bid on it at all....  a dedicated salvager might get 11K out of selling it part by part over a period of years, but it needs to go right back on the rotisserie for a do-over.  I have really enjoyed reading Delia at “maximum restraint”, though.

I couldn’t believe it. How could anyone slap paint on that when it’s so wrong. Did you pull back the fabric glued to the rear towers?

32 minutes ago, Highnote1 said:

I couldn’t believe it. How could anyone slap paint on that when it’s so wrong. Did you pull back the fabric glued to the rear towers?

A bit.  Nothing special based on what I saw.  But the fact that the entire trunk was rattlecanned in a non-gloss finish suggested I shouldn’t pull it back any further.

• Haha 2

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

1 hour ago, 0257 said:

A bit.  Nothing special based on what I saw.  But the fact that the entire trunk was rattlecanned in a non-gloss finish suggested I shouldn’t pull it back any further.

It closed at 19K.  Feeling pretty good about my ‘74tii on that pre-money valuation.

• Sad 1

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

$19K! Wow. But it may show up in a year completely redone and sell for $83K (like that white '72Tii did not long ago).

Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

17 minutes ago, JsnPpp said:

$19K! Wow. But it may show up in a year completely redone and sell for $83K (like that white '72Tii did not long ago).

Jason

In the right hands, anything is possible!  No doubt about that.  I understand the buyer has other'02s, so I imagine he knows what he's getting into.

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

I come from the school of always find the best body you can when it comes to an 02. Mechanical work is child's play compared to rust repair and body restoration.  If you have welding skills and auto body experience, the tii is what you are looking for.  I admit, the temptation of buying a tii for cheap is appealing but caveat emptor!  

• Like 1

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner