So I have an opportunity to buy a 1974 TII that’s in fairly poor condition from a bodywork perspective. Yes what I mean by that is there is rust in all the usual places doors, quarters wheel arch lips .

The Gentleman selling the car can indeed cut out the rust and weld it with metal and new parts.  

the rest the car has been well-maintained and it’s currently five speed swaped.

Without seeing any pictures of the rust what would you believe the value of this car to be as is. 

ball park estimates sought. 

Picture best case scenario 5 grand for paint and body after his welding. Not seeing and if all the tii parts are there and it would be decently repaired....10 grand? Anything under that is better for you, worse for him. 

18 minutes ago, bavariaboy said:

How qualified/competent is the "gentleman" to do the replacement and welding, etc?  A project like this, as we all know, could lurch our of control quickly.

Great point - I’m watching them do one at their shop right now. Jury is out. 

1 hour ago, bluehills2002 said:

. . . and there is a current auction ending tomorrow for what is described as a ‘74 Tii project on BAT with no reserve, now at $11,500, albeit with what sounds like less rust than what you are looking at.  Tom

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-bmw-2002tii-96/

Yours “might” have less rust. 😂

Without seeing any pictures of the rust what would you believe the value of this car to be as is. 

Oh, haww hawwww, that's a good one!

So, there's this car, see, and it has no shell.  But the transmission might be bad, the KFish is going to be

worn out, and the engine could be scrap.

Let's see, Schmitxwer steel's paying $0.12 a pound for cars to crush and ship to China, and a 2002 weighs

in at about 2200, so the safe price is about $250.  

Anything else is just bonus!  

t

Hey Esty, how much to make carpets for my yacht?  

4 hours ago, TobyB said:

So, there's this car, see, and it has no shell.  But the transmission might be bad, the KFish is going to be

worn out, and the engine could be scrap.

All Solid points - with only the smallest dash of sarcasm. 

I’ll take a bunch of pictures in the next few weeks when I get back to the car, but your point on engine and system internals is the truth.  If there is no documentation and/or trust of the seller your just gambling - and even if you get the car for a bargain a bad gamble can mean there is a series of payments laying just over the horizon.

I’m sufficiently scared off.