• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

That signature '02 interior aroma

fastricky

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I call it "That old German car smell". My '56 VW bug had it, Mrs. French's '65 230SL had it, and all 3 of my '02's have had it. Quite unmistakable, but not a really unpleasant scent.

PS; Don't tell my wife it's from the horse hair. That would gross her out. I say it's the door cards. My '71 had no horse hair in it, at least not in the seats (anymore).

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

1 hour ago, fastricky said:

Thing is, I also recall that aroma in the early '80s when I started to drive a few of these cars too.

i remember the smell in the then NEW 1973 2002 i learned how to drive in.  my sister, who also learned how to drive in that car, got into my 1975 a few years ago and immediately recognized the smell.  that was 40 years later, and mine had all the horse hair seats and the carpet replaced years ago.

2xM3

16 minutes ago, conkitchen said:

Given that many have replaced the horse hair and carpets among others things, perhaps it's the dashboard and headliner. Likely many of those are original. 

what should we call the candle scent? 

Vintage interior or That old car smell. 

Eau de '02

• Like 1

First, I'm glad that the smell doesn't go away with removal of horsehair from the car, so if I ever recover the rear seat (everything else is new), I won't lose the smell.

Second, can someone make a cologne of this scent?  Then again, maybe it's a bad idea as it might only attract greasy old men, with dirty fingernails and questionable practicality.

Perhaps, just a candle. . .  or a christmas tree shaped mirror hanger, so I can have the smell in my newer cars, too.

Edited by g_force
  • Like 1

Josh (in Dallas)

'72 tii

Anyone tuning in to this forum for the first time, and reading this thread, has gotta be thinkin’ “What is wrong with these people?”... ?

I long assumed the odor was rotting horsehair pads. Maybe not! And, having had some ‘50’s Mercedes, I thought their interior odor was distinguishable from BMW’s, you know, higher-quality rotting stuff... ?

Regards,

Steve

• Haha 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)