• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

That signature '02 interior aroma

fastricky

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Conserv said:

I long assumed the odor was rotting horsehair pads. Maybe not! And, having had some ‘50’s Mercedes, I thought their interior odor was distinguishable from BMW’s, you know, higher-quality rotting stuff... ?

I had an '81 Merc 300SD (W126) and, although it had horse hair, it DID have a different smell.  I prefer the BMW scent, despite the Merc having been one of my all time favorite cars I've owned.  Super solid, even with 300k on the clock.  That thing was amazing to drive on the highway.

Josh (in Dallas)

'72 tii

On 9/17/2018 at 3:00 PM, fastricky said:

One of the joys of owning an '02 IMHO is the signature aroma when you open the door of the interior, similar to a MBenz of the era. What creates that? Is it the seating vinyl?

My 1980 MB 300sd definitely has the same smell...same horsehair, also the same horsehair flaking onto the carpet problem as 02s.  I do wonder what it smelled like when it was new...it’s not the best interior car smell, so age I’m sure has made it worse.

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT