• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

I drove it to work!

I have been absent the past few years. I put the 2002tii in a shed after the interior got flooded from a rare and large rainstorm,  in the hope of getting it to my shop for some rust repair, but that still hasn't happened. In the meantime, my girlfriend and I acquired more project cars for Lemons Rally that took up some time (Alfa GTV6, Jensen-Healey roadster [with the Getrag 235/5 close-ratio 5-speed that my 2002tii wants], Rover P6 3500S [don't ask]). Plus, my shop has been slammed! 

But, I decided to drag the 2002tii out of the shed last weekend; I drained the old gas, ran some Marvel Mystery oil through the KF pump, changed the oil, stabbed in the 123 distributor that I've had on the shelf for almost 5 years, and got it going earlier this week. I really missed driving this car, it still runs and drives quite well, and it is my favorite all-rounder of the lot.

IMG_7741.jpeg

IMG_7742.jpeg

• Like 4

Chris A
---'73 2002tii Chamonix w/ flares, sunroof, 15x7s, LSD, Bilstein Sports w/ H&R springs, upgraded sway bars, E21 Recaros
---'86 Porsche 944 Turbo grey street/track car

---'81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 rescued from junkyard, Lemons Rally/"GT" car

2 hours ago, 0257 said:

Today I buttoned up all the loose ends of the fuel delivery system — installed runners, hoses, etc. — and turned the key to look for leaks.  I figured at least one of my gud’ntights was not gud’nuff.  Nope, all gud.  But then this — this, folks, is the brand new BMW brand injection line leaking at the juncture between the plastic and the metal elbow at cylinder 1.  WTF?  Anyone have a similar experience with these new style lines?

Get a proper set of original-style injection lines from Carl at La Jolla Independent. The website obviously hasn't been updated in a while, but hopefully they have them in stock, and they also show the proper in-can return spring that you need:

http://www.bimmerdoc.com/parts-finder/bmw/2002-tii-fuel-injector-tube-set/

Chris A
---'73 2002tii Chamonix w/ flares, sunroof, 15x7s, LSD, Bilstein Sports w/ H&R springs, upgraded sway bars, E21 Recaros
---'86 Porsche 944 Turbo grey street/track car

---'81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 rescued from junkyard, Lemons Rally/"GT" car

I’ll say this for the parts manager at the local BMW dealer: he knows leaky injector lines are a stain on the brand.  He showed that video to the guys in CA yesterday, and I had a new no. 1 line by 1 pm today.  While it was down yesterday, Dave Wetzel dropped by to install a fresh temp sensor wire with the proper elbow fitting.   Today, I pulled the pressure regulator valve, and runners 1 and 2, changed out the no. 1 line, put it all back together and started in on tuning.  The estimable Stevenola is in town, fleeing the aftereffects of Ida, and provided some great assistance getting Zouave dialed in.  We’re within a couple clicks of optimal air/fuel mixture and Zouave is feeling pretty good. Tomorrow we should finish up (driving around with an eye on the ipad and the AFR gauge) and, next, some road miles to see if Zouave is Vintage-ready.

• Like 2

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

4 minutes ago, 0257 said:

I’ll say this for the parts manager at the local BMW dealer: he knows leaky injector lines are a stain on the brand.  He showed that video to the guys in CA yesterday, and I had a new no. 1 line by 1 pm today.  While it was down yesterday, Dave Wetzel dropped by to install a fresh temp sensor wire with the proper elbow fitting.   Today, I pulled the pressure regulator valve, and runners 1 and 2, changed out the no. 1 line, put it all back together and started in on tuning.  The estimable Stevenola is in town, fleeing the aftereffects of Ida, and provided some great assistance getting Zouave dialed in.  We’re within a couple clicks of optimal air/fuel mixture and Zouave is feeling pretty good. Tomorrow we should finish up (driving around with an eye on the ipad and the AFR gauge) and, next, some road miles to see if Zouave is Vintage-ready.

Good thing you bought a sorted car!

:D

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

We picked up our car this morning in Rotterdam, and started our trip towards Germany and attending the Bavaria Tour with the BMW classic club group. I think they have more bicycles in The Netherlands than China..

CE097175-B603-42B2-BBB3-EC93BC394C11.jpeg

359AFF9A-F006-4BB5-9C3B-05CC2D4EFB8B.jpeg

DD84BC10-4DA8-4097-AFB4-D565BCCFADAE.jpeg

Edited by BarneyT
  • Like 11

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

I ordered a new 6v battery. I also received notice from the DMV registration is due. I’ve been registered as non operational. I think I’m going to be ready to register it operational. I don’t plan on driving it much. I see some members have historic plates. What’s the advantage of that? I’ve been teleworking since the pandemic but plan to drive about once a week when I go back. I would hate to get a ticket for abusing historic use plates. I use my trunk lid as a work bench, doesn’t everyone? Take care friends. 

43C85D14-AB39-4F82-B1E0-FD5DB8C409AD.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BarneyT said:

Paul, we shipped our Baur over…

E1FC548F-0E21-4A28-8EAD-713C636E2E81.jpeg

Gosh Barney, how much more would it have been to have it transported inside the trailer?

:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.