• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

We flipped the car back onto it's wheels and shimmed the rotisserie so that the car is level (unfortunately the concrete in the workshop isn't all that level..) 
Added some jackstands under the car as well to support it just a bit more. One at the front frame rail and one at the B-pillar, just beneath where we welded in the reinforcement that ties the B pillar and floor togehter.

Then it was time to remove the outer and inner sill. Took a while to drill out all the spotwelds, in the end we pretty much had to go at them again with the finger belt sander..

spacer.png

First test fit with the new sill (MVP panel), it isn't as nice as the inner sill on the left side, that one was a genuine BMW part.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with it but just the overall look compared to the BMW one..

spacer.png

We also noticed that the threads on the inside of the inner sill are coarse thread (or rather normal metric threads) and the original and new BMW panel have fine pitch threads. just an FYI.
Since we were able to save the old threaded plates, we decided to remove the MVP plates and add the original ones after sandblasting them.
spacer.png

• Like 9

It’s a few days late. But I took delivery on Friday. Registered Saturday morning and drove her for almost 300 miles. I’m impressed with how smooth everything is for a 52 year old car! 

I did have a couple of issues pop up. The coolant hose from the manifold to the pump is now deciding not to hold liquid when I turn the car off and I noticed a plastic Tee under the carb that has a hole rubbed through it from I-don’t-know-what.

the drivers window won’t roll all the way up, there’s an 1/8” gap at the top and the rear brakes are kinda questionable. They only slow me down though 🤪

The interior is absolutely mint. The trunk has everything that should be in there! 

My plans for the winter will be to replace all the rubber hoses, refresh the rear brakes and give the valves a check over

IMG_0120.jpeg

• Like 12

When lefty loosey turns into lefty snappy offy...Plus a few other "while I'm in there" items. That broken manifold stud was in a bad spot so I went ahead and changed them all. I found the IE studs to fight a little tighter then I would normally like, on this particular head. Use your best judgment if you install these. studs. Did a quick little valve check and new gasket. The old manifold was leaking at the 02 sensor bung so I picked up a header. The studs are just finger tight in the last picture

20230813_113201.thumb.jpg.bd79d077688635a86911b7356dc274f8.jpg20230813_113034.thumb.jpg.06b652d7c05dbcfb4d6dad3c1bb8b1b8.jpg20230813_180325.thumb.jpg.f4417bc499edbddd7a47a6e9ef87321d.jpgimage.thumb.jpeg.bf1915411457e1bb96a57b27ffd89284.jpeg

• Like 4

While I haven't done anything on Brunhilde in a while, the other day I did add to the fleet. 

Brunhilde, Tobi(the Twizy), meet Bobby. 

image.thumb.jpeg.99d97f3c2e71bb78c34aee3d11297ac3.jpeg

My gas-free streak is now in year 5, and this concretes it. Its a 2019 Model 3 Performance, 88k km's. Call it a washing machine on wheels if you like, but my god is it great to drive and is vertigo-inducingly fast...

It's not the parts-car I need yet, but You can be sure I'll be pulling things apart for measurements and brainstorming how to fit the rear drive-unit into Brunhilde someday...

Cheers folks!

-J

• Like 4