• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

1 hour ago, kbmb02 said:

Interesting - I guess I might be lucky? (I use both types interchangeably on a few dozen street and race cars watch over, and have not seen either type break.) -KB

You just keep your fingers crossed!

:D

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

10 hours ago, ray_ said:

You just keep your fingers crossed!

Well, I've got experience and (my own) historical data on my side, too. 😀

This said, I've climbed in cars (usually other race cars) with heavy clutches, and could see that stressing the rod (though in that case, I would change the pressure plate ... cause that's too much work to drive). -KB

27 minutes ago, Markster said:

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRbtVhc3/

not sure where to post this. 

who’s Inka is that? 

for me in CA and w a 1970 I am exempt from Smog.  Is this applicable to the 74 and newer’02’s?

Mark

They have been trying to make changes like that in Utah, but legislation gets booted quickly.  My e21 320is wouldn't pass emissions after 3 tries, so I went with the classic car plates. Will do the same with my Tii once it's road worthy. 

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

1 hour ago, Markster said:

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRbtVhc3/

not sure where to post this. 

who’s Inka is that? 

for me in CA and w a 1970 I am exempt from Smog.  Is this applicable to the 74 and newer’02’s?

Mark

Per CA DMV website, smog rules still apply, so even with a Historic car plate a 76+ car needs to do smog checks. 75 and older do not, regardless the plates.

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

6 minutes ago, Pablo M said:

Per CA DMV website, smog rules still apply, so even with a Historic car plate a 76+ car needs to do smog checks. 75 and older do not, regardless the plates.

Yeah, I think that report was regarding a new Nevada law.  CA will never let go of smog checks for older cars, until they are banned completely.

• Like 2

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

3 hours ago, Markster said:

How timely!

I have my first interview with a CA smog referee next Monday.

I hope to register my '76 as a Collector Car. This meets all the requirements as defined in Section 259, Subdivision (f) of Section 44012 of the California Vehicle Code:

- Proof that car is insured as a collector car for at least 3 years.

- Vehicle is at least 35 model years old.

- Complies with the exhaust emissions for the model year, passes functional inspection for fuel cap (seals tight), and a visual inspection for fuel leaks.

This differs from a Classic Car (Historical Vehicle in CA.) which is classified as a "special interest vehicle" as defined by CA Vehicle Code section 5051 (a-b):

- 25 model years old.

- Historical Vehicle license plate.

- Collected, preserved, restored or maintained by a hobbyist.

- NOT altered in ANY way from the original factory specification.

I'll let everyone know the results of my efforts.

John

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, John76 said:

How timely!

I have my first interview with a CA smog referee next Monday.I

John

John, what are the benefits (and responsibilities) of a Classic Car? I understand Historic Car. Does Classic Car get its own special plate too? I don’t recall ever hearing a distinction between the two. Curious. 

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

51 minutes ago, John76 said:

How timely!

I have my first interview with a CA smog referee next Monday.

I hope to register my '76 as a Collector Car. This meets all the requirements as defined in Section 259, Subdivision (f) of Section 44012 of the California Vehicle Code:

- Proof that car is insured as a collector car for at least 3 years.

- Vehicle is at least 35 model years old.

- Complies with the exhaust emissions for the model year, passes functional inspection for fuel cap (seals tight), and a visual inspection for fuel leaks.

This differs from a Classic Car (Historical Vehicle in CA.) which is classified as a "special interest vehicle" as defined by CA Vehicle Code section 5051 (a-b):

- 25 model years old.

- Historical Vehicle license plate.

- Collected, preserved, restored or maintained by a hobbyist.

- NOT altered in ANY way from the original factory specification.

John

wow California is tough. In Tennessee I just buy a historic car plate and only pay for it once. The only requirement is the 25 years old. 

Similar in Wisconsin. A collector plate is a one time purchase. No renewals or annual fees. The car just has to be 20 years old and keeps the original body style. If the car has been modified, one can get a "hobbyist" plate instead.

Stephen Bruns

1968 1600-2  "Stuart"

1973 3.0CS  "Raven"  https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/the-raven-e9-project.26879/

1967 VW Beetle  "Templeton"

If it passes smog requirements for a '76 '02, why would any special registration be needed at all?

Good luck though as this is the only reason you can still find '76's in CA.

I don't give a fird gen, carbretted, alyoominiuhm, tickity boo!... wiff an ole in the boot!