• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

I've been working my way through the rust over the last few days.....weeks......months & years 😂

I have this thick protective coating in the arches & under the wings.
Is it a factory finish ? I've had to wire wheel some of it off to make repairs but it seems like great stuff.

I'd like to reapply it. 
Anyone know what it is ?

sealer.thumb.jpg.c925c9394244022e0dcbf1feb29c47bd.jpg

On 1/19/2023 at 2:04 AM, SplitDash said:

I've been working my way through the rust over the last few days.....weeks......months & years 😂

I have this thick protective coating in the arches & under the wings.
Is it a factory finish ? I've had to wire wheel some of it off to make repairs but it seems like great stuff.

I'd like to reapply it. 
Anyone know what it is ?

sealer.thumb.jpg.c925c9394244022e0dcbf1feb29c47bd.jpg

I believe what you are seeing is the grey undercoating.  US cars received undercoating (called Shutz) at the port or dealers.  It was grey when applied new, but does get dirty with oil and dirt over the years and ends up black.  Because of the decades old, blackened appearance on our cars, some think it came black.  But it began its life as grey Shutz.  Wurth has a grey Shutz that is close to the original.

Edited by autokunst
  • Like 3

Stephen Bruns

1968 1600-2  "Stuart"

1973 3.0CS  "Raven"  https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/the-raven-e9-project.26879/

1967 VW Beetle  "Templeton"

Franzi’s engine looks about what I expected….Bad,

#4 bore is the worst of it, maybe corroded beyond any rebore possibility. 
Too soon to tell if the 121 cylinder head is salvageable.

No obvious crack at  the usual spot and water jackets look pretty good.

Thickness is ok and not grossly warped. 
It’s off to the machine shop  with it for cleaning/ inspection soon

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

1 hour ago, stephers said:

Interesting that you have a 121ti head with flat top pistons?    Must have been a bit of a dog power wise

Not really, that combo gives you 8.5:1 compression. Wasn't a dog! Thats harsh dude.😢

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Car is finally back on the ground. Will probably need to bleed the brakes again based on the pedal. System was dry so took some work (started with gravity). 
wanted to test drive but battery went dead after a few weak cranks. Has been sitting for 4 weeks. will charge the battery and try again tomorrow night. 

image.thumb.jpeg.823f7f2fc1a1acc41b161e92f00f62b1.jpeg

Also replaced the broken rubber bumperettes on back with some good spares that came with the car. Of course couldn’t find one of them so desperate measures were taken in the interim.  
image.thumb.jpeg.3509bbcd2abdc0db30c935a010c27f08.jpeg

• Like 5

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

Replaced the fuel filter and (high pressure) fuel line, brake vacuum line and check valve. 
Also bled brakes again, and clutch-better pedal but still not great. will probably try it again tomorrow. Not getting a lot of air coming out at this point. 

Did an extended test drive too! Gas pedal sticks a bit 😳.

old:

image.thumb.jpeg.a90e22fea03aa8413a20f940ca90779a.jpeg

new:

image.thumb.jpeg.4f98c30247b5accc5dde06ae5bb867d0.jpeg
I have the bracket for it, but not the screw lol. 

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1 hour ago, stephers said:

Just use the top rad screw, same place   and from an old bicycle spoke, you can bend up the bracket that holds the fuel line to the pump.  You have a tie strap there now.

Thanks, Rick 

The correct mounting hole is just left of where it’s at now. I wanted to place it there so I wouldn’t have to recut the hoses when I got a bolt at hardware store to mount the bracket. I figure if I have all the right parts why half arse it. The half arsing it is just temporary. 
brilliant idea on the spoke though. Was afraid the ties would be permanent lol. 

2003 e39 M5 (daily)