• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

Well, I did it. First start on Speeduino EFI!!! The noise was the alt bracket flapping in the breeze. The MAP line is not run, the coolant sensor isnt calibrated, and I think the injection timing is one off, but amazingly it still runs!!! Now I need to clean things up, tune, and finish a few odds and ends. Looking up for being done for the 02/02 event!

Also look at how hilariously jank this is. All for the sake of the first start, LOL! Didn’t have long enough fuel line so used a spare sender as the connector.

8161F798-9358-4870-9BA5-745FA2815CD2.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

'74 Verona

post a pic and see if the d shaft is too long or short. I'm betting its too short and the guibo is being pulled backwards at the 3 points of the flange..

In that case you 'll have to muscle the diff forward...call rent an ape.com

*all dependent on how much adjustment you have left in the diff' 'slots'

Rent an Ape.com?  Theres a really interesting mind in there?.  Between You and Ray;  reading all these endless posts is a real comedy adventure!  Thanks for being you...

One more thought.  I know many people recommend going with the larger 3series (I think) transmission mount.  Are they taller than the 02 mount?  Any amount taller and the angle of the output flange would change, distorting the guibo.  Remember, the d-shaft flange angle is fixed by the position of the csb.

I like accronyms just like the next o2 motorhead but please pardon my F-tardedness but what does CSB stand for?  Center Stablizing Bar?  

Cheers,

-TocaChakra

I like accronyms just like the next o2 motorhead but please pardon my F-tardedness but what does CSB stand for?  Center Stablizing Bar?  

Center support bearing on the driveshaft.

• Like 1

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Ray... You are a one of a kind CLASSIC! Im STILL laughin’!!!

Thanks.

I have extensive experience in turds.

:D

• Like 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Great Day!  Replaced the rear wheel bearings and seals and added a 1/2" spacer to help my new Konig Feathers fit perfectly.  Many thanks to Steve Porter - The Master and one of the best mentors - for the help and support.

The one hour drive home was a blast!

60123528533__4A2DDA08-BCEA-4B40-B982-94818DA93D12.jpeg

60124180700__8A3E116E-587D-4CCC-A722-36BCFC10FE75.jpeg

• Like 3

After hours of supervising two kids'work for 'science project week' I finally got back to working on new door cards.

Put texture lines on the insert and got all the vinyl wrapped.

Bad pics as light was fading. I'll be adding aluminum trim at the horizontal transitions. I could have glued them up as is but wanted to try my hand at trim.

e88a18fc53c339d1a51cd733d255197d.jpg&key=b343a82b5d494a604922876082cda3c2baeddff5b6afeee4cf668bdb7471f150

• Like 2

Fixed all the jank in my last post:

Got more injection line, organized some wires and hoses, calibrated all the sensors in tunerstudio, and was able to start the car again. Fired up pretty quick and without the alt bracket flapping around and vacuum leaks it was much quieter.

Still really rough. Mixtures waaay off.

O2 sensor comes tomorrow so I can start properly dialing things in.

Really want to make it to the 02/02 meetup!

• Like 3

'74 Verona

Chamonix ‘73

Spent a few hours making sense of inner fenders, their current relationship to the firewall, the current location of the right frame rail and the desired location for the left frame rail. 

It’s tricky when everything seems to be “just a little out”... 

I need to develop a pair of adjustable spreaders to set the distance between the rails. Right now in a “relaxed” state the left rail sits 9mm to close to the center line of the car. Fore to Aft of the subframe pick up points is balanced with the rights side and they (pick-up points) are all in the same plane. 

• Like 2

This past weekend my wife and I took the 75 on our first rally ever. We were one of 3 02s to participate in the 50yr Storm Rally, which covered over 700 miles of amazing roads in LA, San Bernardino, Imperial and San Diego counties all the way down to the border.

The car‘s mechanicals were prepped by Ken Blasko to ensure the car was safe and sound for hard driving. My wife drove half the rally(!), testing her canyon carving skills for the first time so it was really important the car responded as it should. Thanks Ken.

The rally route was super fun driving and scenic views alongside some great people. I can’t believe this was our first one.

It got me thinking we should hold a FAQ rally in Northern California...

61450001235b2867f79a98d1658e1e59.jpg&key=6b8b0d31b6f0a853c78eacb7d5a7ad3899ba1ba142dd09bf0c24ab3bfc9900c2

7380d907f437565a897ccbae5f5c29c5.jpg&key=b022b5299fd81f47da63c7a411f0ddb7f92eebfdf978b196d75c192d2be20207

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8

1965 Hillman Imp - Rosemarie

1969 BMW 2002 - Dolores

1975 BMW 2002 - Rolf

1984 BMW 533i Swap - Alfons

I finished reassembling the steering box of my 74A parts car.  In order to teach myself (with the help of You’s Guy’s) how to replace the seals and improve my cleaning skills.  I figure I can take it apart again (no,  I haven’t pressed the steering arm <don’t know if that’s what it’s called>). I did learn from FAQ that the arm and the spleened shaft have a mark on each to place the arm in the correct orientation.

5E2BEE2D-E8BB-4D3E-AD46-6C11620AD6BA.jpeg

This is the arm and spleen shaft linedup to the line-up indent line on the end of the shft as well as on the face of the arm.

94E0A8EA-DFA1-4201-93D3-065A23F61BD6.jpeg

The alignment indents were clearly visible to me as you can see in the photo...

4DBC3C76-8FA1-4233-8905-5D506EA38372.jpeg

Then... there’s this large ( I think it’s a self locking nut) nut that’s seems challenging to “just screw it down” because you get to a certain point and it’ll take an impact ratchet to move it down further into it’s place.  Further begging the question, “Do I have to replace this with a NEW nut?  I’ll call it -ONE time NUT-use” 

93D80DA4-FD49-4406-8CA4-E54E6A19315A.jpeg

I will disassemble it again to clean out all the old fluid/grease/poly replace the seals and probably have to order that ONE time USE nut.  Unless someone reads this an responds with a way of refitting the OLD nut back on... till then,  I’ll have this baby refinished and painted and looking like NOS.

Edited by Toca
  • Like 1