• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I Rent Out My Car For A TV Commercial? Advice and Experience Please.

I have been approached by a production company that wants to use my tii for a Japanese-audience  commercial.   It's a 2 day shoot with the car being used in 3 shots: driving on a highway, sitting at a lookout, and sitting at a gas station. 

Even though it pays $500 a day, I'm reluctant, as I'm not excited about an (unknown to me, but famous  Japanese) actor will be driving my car on the highway.

I know enough to make sure proper insurance is in place, and to be on-set for the 2 days, but I'm looking for experience and advice of those that may be in the industry or those that have supplied a car in the past.

Thanks for reading and replying.

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958

my brother-in-law has rented his hot-rod '57 Chevy for a couple of photo ops/videos for Shania Twain.

the car is returned to him in need of many many tasks to get it back to normal ...... the money he is paid does not, in his opinion, cover his "pain and suffering" when the car is returned.

IMHO:   $500 ain't much of a fee to compensate for what might and/or could and/or probably will happen.

A different production company may be more gentle and protective and considerate of your vehicle.

Another idea which I doubt will happen:  they give you $50,000 in cash up-front, as a damage deposit, with appropriate clauses in the contract which says YOU and YOU ALONE will decide how much of the deposit will be returned upon cessation of filming, based on whatever criteria you decide.

Does the guy driving know how to use a stickshift ??  Or is he going to learn on your car ?? 

As for insurance:  will your insurance company pay-out if someone other than you is driving the car ??  Especially if the car is being used for a purpose other than "normal daily driving by the registered owner" ??

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner

Thanks Carl.  Valid points all.  Chevy scenario sounds just like my worry. Hefty deposit would certainly ease my comfort, but is probably a deal-breaker.  Yeah, stickshift...I'm getting less interested.  Insurance... the production company is looking into the specifics of additional coverage.

So far I'm leaning toward declining.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

i rented a couple of my classic fords to a studio back in the 80's to be used in what they called a street scene, no driving involved...i surmise that everyone that passed by used them as a bench or a table and regretted it when they were returned...both cars were scratched to hell ...the studios don't care about the cars

The production company should have insurance in place for this. I would make sure the guy knows how to drive a manual before agreeing, and I want to see him do it. If you can be on set, all the better. Every production company is different. i work in production and have rented my old 02 to a production company for a month. Came back safe and sound. That big security deposit won't happen, but there should be a contract.

Ok, this is very strange. I was contacted tonight as well about the use of my car for a movie that is being made locally (I live near NYC). It is completely legit, I googled the production designer that called me and she just did a pretty big movie.

I am feeling a bit jealous of you Paul though, they only offered me $100/day to use my '02 for a week or so. I think they are going to pass though, she thinks they may need an automatic for the actress driving the car. 

1976 2002 Fjordblau (currently Verona, 3rd owner)

1969 2002 Granada, 2nd owner

Too many steering wheels

Ensure insurance covers everything including scratches. No way in hell someone would offer a giant deposit that you get to decide what to keep. If you end up even I would still do it for the experience, just make sure the insurance covers it all.

I went to a local car event a few years ago and a Car TV Show host showed up with a next production year AMG CLS, he got out of the car and sat on the front fender with jeans on, he thought his disregard was cool.

He was about 6'-2" and weighed around 260 lbs.......

:o

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

Just do it. How often do you get this chance?

I loaned my car out for a day to a film crew making a short film for an architectural firm. I got free food and my expenses covered only. But it was fun watching them work and fun seeing my car on a screen.

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun

I allowed my car to be used in a photo shoot a few years ago for Ralph Lauren. Just models sitting in it and I moved it when it needed to change location. That was still photography and I got $750 for the day. (It was 2 hours driving each way and my whole day on set) sadly none of the pics with my 02 ever made it to print.

$500 for someone else to be driving seems low. I'm sure the CCC here in NY would charge way more than that for their M2 or any other classic.

Regarding the poster who was offered $100/Day. That's just insulting.

I used to work in TV and most production companies try to get everything on the cheap but have deeper pockets (in most cases) than they let on.

Would I help a grad student with a film on the cheap if I was driving the car? Probably.

Would I let someone who probably has no idea what the 3rd pedal is for use my car for less than $750-1000/day? not likely.

Just my .02c

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

76 2002 Fjord Sunroof AC

90 VW Vanagon (Ford repowered)

and my daily commuter: a Bicycle!