• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I Rent Out My Car For A TV Commercial? Advice and Experience Please.

I allowed my car to be used in a photo shoot a few years ago for Ralph Lauren. Just models sitting in it and I moved it when it needed to change location. That was still photography and I got $750 for the day. (It was 2 hours driving each way and my whole day on set) sadly none of the pics with my 02 ever made it to print.

http://www.ralphlaurencarcollection.com/

He probably didn't want to use his.

Sorry to hear about all the horror stories you guys have had.  My experience was COMPLETELY opposite. 

This goes back many years.  Production company offered me twice a$ much a$ they offered you for the day.

The production companies driver was so intimidated by the car that he wouldn't even drive it(stick shift, close ratio, dogleg,  five speed).  So,.....I was asked if I could have the car on Chicago's Lake Michigan shoreline thirty minutes before dawn.  (I shouldn't even be awake at that hour).

I brought paperwork from the office to work on in their trailer while they were shooting.

Hot gourmet breakfast was served at 8AM.  I sat with both client's, from France, and talked cars.

Asked to move the car to different locations three or four times during the day---"no sweat".

High end smorgasbord lunch served about noon.

Shooting was done by three in the afternoon.

Then the production company boss approaches me and asks if I'd take his clients for a ride up Lake Shore Drive.  So......

Broke the law driving up to Foster Ave turn-a-round.  Broke the law again returning Client #1 to shoot site.  He had a big "shit eatin' grin" when he got out of the car.  Client rep #2 went south then into Lower Wacker Dr. (noisy tunnel environment with loud exhaust in second gear)_  Back into the sunlight and she asked if she too could drive up LSD. So...... (passed right by the shoot site with everyone waving their arms to stop)....oops. 

Finally back at the shoot site. When I helped her get out of the car it was obvious she enjoyed her experience too.  (To bad she had to catch a flight back to Paris the next day. 

All of this for a TV commercial !

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

mac.

Sorry to hear about all the horror stories you guys have had.  My experience was COMPLETELY opposite. 

This goes back many years.  Production company offered me twice a$ much a$ they offered you for the day.

The production companies driver was so intimidated by the car that he wouldn't even drive it(stick shift, close ratio, dogleg,  five speed).  So,.....I was asked if I could have the car on Chicago's Lake Michigan shoreline thirty minutes before dawn.  (I shouldn't even be awake at that hour).

I brought paperwork from the office to work on in their trailer while they were shooting.

Hot gourmet breakfast was served at 8AM.  I sat with both client's, from France, and talked cars.

Asked to move the car to different locations three or four times during the day---"no sweat".

High end smorgasbord lunch served about noon.

Shooting was done by three in the afternoon.

Then the production company boss approaches me and asks if I'd take his clients for a ride up Lake Shore Drive.  So......

Broke the law driving up to Foster Ave turn-a-round.  Broke the law again returning Client #1 to shoot site.  He had a big "shit eatin' grin" when he got out of the car.  Client rep #2 went south then into Lower Wacker Dr. (noisy tunnel environment with loud exhaust in second gear)_  Back into the sunlight and she asked if she too could drive up LSD. So...... (passed right by the shoot site with everyone waving their arms to stop)....oops. 

Finally back at the shoot site. When I helped her get out of the car it was obvious she enjoyed her experience too.  (To bad she had to catch a flight back to Paris the next day. 

All of this for a TV commercial !

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

mac.

Mac: great story.  I've worked on-set and I know how much fun it can be.  Even though it's "hurry up and wait" most of the time.  I'm only declining because the shoot date is at the end of the month, I don't know the people, or what is expected of me and the car.  If they want the car to be driven by the actor, I don't have any knowledge of his abilities or attitude.  It wouldn't be right to delay my decision and put them in a position to find another car on late notice.

It's a gamble and I'm not a gambler.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

I guess the positive is that they're asking to use our 2002's. Have to give them credit for knowing what's cool. ;-)

So true.  Most people haven't seen 02s since back in the day.  I get that all the time.  "I remember that car"  "What year was it again". 

Young kids really like the retro-styling and colors.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

My story is not impressive but it is quirky and fun.  Mary recently gave her 2001 Taurus SES wagon to her niece, Megyn.  (with 201K miles on it)  Megyn lives in Cincinnati -- a production company was beginning to get cars together for a James Franco movie about to be filmed in the city.  She asked me should she submit her car?  I said: "Yeah!  Why not?"  The movie required cars from 1999 - 2001 for some reason.  Anyhow, she received word that they wanted to use her wagon, but for only $50/day.  The ad had stated that the owner would get $70/day and that the car would be returned to the owner each evening of filming.  Megyn stood her ground and replied: "That's not the deal.  No, you can't use the car."  They contacted her later and her Ford was used in the movie. (at the stated rate of $70/day)  Eager to see it on the big screen....

It's no way to get rich, but it's been fun for the extended family.  Megyn has christened the Taurus wagon the "White Whale."

Edited by Denker

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

I know a local ATL fellow who rents his Porsche 356 to a production company for use in the TV show Vampire Diaries.

They have used it a lot and he says it's been a good experience.

'72 2002Tii Inka   2760698
'65 Porsche 356SC

Ahem.    

Do you have a problem leaving your car with a parking valet?

How strong is your attachment to the car?

Owned since new?

Is the car a bona fide irreplaceable cream puff heirloom or just a puff?

Larger productions typically go to prop rental shops specializing in car rentals.  On the commercial end of things, part of the rental cost includes insurance, the terms of which can be quite lengthy and specific about what exactly will be done with and to the vehicle.  Often rentals include the posting of an insurance bond that far exceeds the vehicle's market value, potentially resulting in the vehicle's purchase.   Still, forgetting whether the production company exceeds its agreed-use of the vehicle, is the insurance carrier always going to honor its policy?    Production does not always go as planned, and that does not necessarily mean accidents.    A simple scripted shot can easily change from talent being near a vehicle to inside or on top of the same vehicle.  The same with a vehicle being driven.  Pot holes, curbs, locked brakes for dramatic effect?   Then there are the pickup shots that no one specifically envisions.  If the photographer or director finds certain reflections objectionable, do you mind if they cover the car with dulling spray?  Can the head rests, rearview mirror and seatbelts be removed for a better shot?     What happens when a production assistant is given the responsibility of moving the car only a few feet and, in doing so, enjoys gunning the engine or riding the clutch, or tapping on the dash as though it was a percussion instrument, or testing the outer limits of the door brakes.    No harm no foul?    Even if you are present on the set, will you have the where-with-all to yell "cut" before it's too late? :unsure:

When someone asks for a ride in your car and something unforseen happens, is that part of the shoot and covered by insurance?  Or on the way back from the thrill ride, what do you do when your new best pal, the second assistant director (who you only assume has a valid driver license), asks you if you wouldn’t mind letting him drive the car around the block, and after you agree, you see several members of the cast in the car? :huh:

On the other hand    -   even on an amateur shoot or an extremely low budget production - without an excellent 24hr. award-winning caterer or oscar-caliber talent, everyone could be extremely respectful of your ride and admire mostly from a distance.   The end result being a wonderful experience, making you and your car happy and world famous.  ;)

Edited by percy

I loaned my choice '63 Ferrari to a production company for a small obscure movie called Ferris Bueller's Day Off.  Maybe you've heard of it.  Anyway, they promised to take very good care of it, but despite their best efforts, somehow it fell off a cliff or a deck or something like that.  You would think I learned my lesson, but then this other company approached me about using my Belvedere GTX in a movie called Tommy Boy...Heh, long story...maybe some other time.

Ruben

I was recruited by my son last summer to procure some period cars for a short independent film to be shot locally.  Three guys agreed to participate in the shoot.  One owner was looking for a special way to honor the gentleman who preserved the car and had just passed away. He allowed me (I was an extra in the film, along with my son) to drive the car in the shoot.  A second owner was allowed to drive his own car, and the third car remained parked during the shoot.  The only payment was food and beer, and everyone got to sit on the set during the four hours it took to shoot.  They were also invited to a small reception and a private screening of the rough cut film a few months later.  They all loved doing it, and had a great time on the set.  The entire production crew just loved the cars!

An additional, and unexpected bonus was that the NY production designer of the film, who has an extensive body of work around the world, uses a still from the film of their cars on her portfolio webpage.   I presented each of the owners with an 8 x 10 of this pic as a thank you, along with some other pics.  

Scroll down the linked page to the film "STAG" to see the pic of the cars on her page.  (N.B.  They were not '02s.  The film needed cars from the 50's and early 60's.)

http://www.vitavision.net/#!film-tv/cee5

996144_667685243314900_32176497270672989

I share the concerns noted above, but, at the same time, there are sometimes other considerations that may make it a worthwhile experience.  My son and I recently attended the New York Premiere of STAG in a short film festival, and it was quite amazing to see us together on a 40 foot screen!  How often do you get to see that!  And it is forever!  

Tom

Connecticut

Home for Feral BMWs

1973 2002 Malaga (with frosting), 1982 323i Baur

1991 325ix (winter), 1977 320i (carbed), 1989 325ix

1989 325iC (summer), 1979 323i (project), 1978 320i (parts)

http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/

Gotta love the man cave in the movie "STAG".

10641025_720984874651603_880498528085002

Another still of 'The Man Cave" from STAG.  The star of the film is Peter Rini (Orange Is The New Black), standing at left;  I am seated next to him, and my son Brian is third from left, in the foreground.  A great shot capturing a great moment in the film, circa 1963, which also happens to be a great shared 'father-son' memory, preserved on film.  It was great fun! 

Edited by tomscat1

Tom

Connecticut

Home for Feral BMWs

1973 2002 Malaga (with frosting), 1982 323i Baur

1991 325ix (winter), 1977 320i (carbed), 1989 325ix

1989 325iC (summer), 1979 323i (project), 1978 320i (parts)

http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/