• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The most important 2002 owner (to me) has died

Gordon R. Denker (1930 - 2012)

My father died on April 11, 2012. He loved sports cars -- he's the one who taught me to drive in his beloved '72 Golf '02.

A happy place for both of us was/is at the wheel of a 2002.

Thinking of the good times and of the bond that remains.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you were very lucky to share the love of 02's.....

My dad was not a car guy, but one day he needed to use my 73 o2, this was in 76 and I was 19 yo.....so I say to him "keep it above 3500 when shifting and she will behave well for you"...

so what does he do?...he keeps the car at @3500 even when he stops at a red light and then a stop sign...lol. I heard this from a distance but he was still in sight>.....its funny now but at that age I was prolly pissed.....lol

it mustve been a joy to share an 02 w/ your dad........

my condolences....

Jim,

My condolences for your loss. Losing a parent is heartbreaking.

Earl

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

I am so happy that you and your family had your dad around for so long. Strangely, I introduced my dad to 2002's (c. 1971), and you are right about the ties that bind. My dad has been gone for over ten years now, and occasionally my 90-year-old mom rides with me in the 02, which always brings the conversation around to "I remember riding with your father to...." I'm glad that you have so many great memories. Our prayers and thoughts are with you and the family. Godspeed to dad.

Dave V. in NC

Gordon R. Denker (1930 - 2012)

My father died on April 11, 2012. He loved sports cars -- he's the one who taught me to drive in his beloved '72 Golf '02.

A happy place for both of us was/is at the wheel of a 2002.

Thinking of the good times and of the bond that remains.

Sorry to hear about this Jim--my thoughts are with you and family.

283302_1446338616085_1761757420_686738_5517934_n.jpg

--> 1968 2002 <--

Just think of all the rail to rail turns and beautiful drives in heaven. Probably making a run with his Dad and Grandad in a car that never needs gas and will never break down. Life is a struggle, heaven is better.

although we have not met, I am thinking of you - hang in there Jim

1970 Agave work in progress

Born on May 14 1970 and delivered May 19th 1970 to NYC to Hoffman Motor Corp. Agave code 071

new guy

help appreciated!

other cars: 1991 318is / 1999 540iT