• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What things do you regret doing to your car?

JohnS

I'll start.

My first BMW was back in 1986. My '74 tii "The Thrasher" that I still drive today.

The first thing I did was remove the mini-lite wheels that came on the car because I didn't like the way that they looked. The paint was pealing and the metal underneath looked sort of grey "like lead". I ended up giving them away along with the original magnesium lugnuts. The rims were 6x13 and made of magnesium, little did I know. I installed 6x14 "bottle caps" instead.

Next, I removed the original "black" coil and replaced it with "what I thought was an upgrade" blue coil. I even remember the mechanic saying it was a downgrade. I didn't care, I thought it "looked" better so I had him install it anyway. He did bypass the ballast resistor correctly, so it was fine.

The next thing was replacing the original aluminum wiper blade holders with plastic Bosch units. Again, I thought they looked better. What a shame. I remember those original aluminum units stamped with "Made in England" and TriCo, and I threw them in the trash.

That's it for me... Next

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Going from a dead stock car with 60k miles to a suspension modded rehabbed modded 74k mile car. I miss the flexible flyer stock suspension some days :P I also put some hacked up exhaust on that sucked and broke like 3 times so I went back to mostly stock...

Other than that I really like what I did with the rest of the car!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

John,

I think the stuff you did was more regret selling or changing. Find some wiper blades and forgive yourself. Now if you chopped up your rust free fenders to do flares or threw out your K-fish in favor of some dual webers, then maybe kick yourself a few more time.

or this, lol

cutting the top off ;-)

Ray

73 Chamonix-S14 powered

Elefant Supply Apparel & more O=00=O

faq sig

I dont have anything to regret yet as the car started as an empty shell and now at least it is a Daily Driver. However I do kind of regret going with the m42, I really love the straight 6, should have shoe horned a M50 in there. Ohh well I have better weight distribution anyways. So I guess I just regret that I have not put a turbo on the m42 yet.

I regret not lowering the price a couple of hundreds of euros, because it needed fuel system repair, the indicators didn't work, brakes were in bad condition and carburetor still isn't working well when driving on fuel so I have to use TNG system which one of the previous owners put.

Replacing the original carpets in my first Tii with some shit quality grey stuff that was already looking tatty when I sold it. And then doing the same to my Touring, but this time with black stuff.

Keep your original multi-piece carpets and just get some decent mats to cover up up the shagged bits!

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

cutting apart my 1967 Olds 442 convertible 4 speed and taking it to the landfill years ago. Saw one on Barrett Jackson. Ouch. That's why my 2002 still sits in my driveway 9 years later only having been driven 4 blocks in that time. Patiently waiting it's turn...

Ahlem

'76 2002

'90 M3

'90 535i 5 speed

'89 325is '91 318is

'87 325is

Pretty much everything I did to my '73 turbo project when it originally belonged to a friend of mine. I mistakenly believed he would actually help on his project but instead he just enjoyed taking it apart and destroying things in the process. The paint on it wasn't perfect but it was a solid 5 footer and then he took a sander to it(not finishing btw). Now it looks like ass and the car has become such a clusterfck that it was switched to a lemons project. It'll still be enjoyed but I can't get all that time I spent working on it back and I'll always know how good it looked before hand...That one pisses me off every time I see the old pictures of the car.

I scrapped an '02 once, it had a fair bit of rust and reeked of mold and molding wet dog. I didn't have space for it at the time, i now wish I could have kept it for lemons as I made a bunch of money parting it and could have had a killer lemons car because of it. I cut the back off of it and turned it into a bench seat.

Luckily I regret few things I've done to my Agave, mostly removable things I've bought which turn out to be shitty quality like my carpet kit(before I knew about esty's kit). I think it's because I didn't have enough money at the time to do things I would later regret.

I've learned my lesson and now I debate the changes I'm going to make for a long time before doing anything. I also regret getting into volvo's(I still love my wagon though and it is a project) because most of those people on turbobricks are just as bad as the vortex crowd.

I also regret getting into volvo's

Hi, my name is John and I've been Volvo free for 4 years.

Volvos are truly an automotive disease, from witch there is no cure.

When I was buying my 5speed and brackets from this guy in RI, he offered me a complete Alpina A4 setup. I remember saying "No thanks, I have a set of 40 DCOE's" I don't remember how much he wanted but I had it on me.....

I wish I had the guy that did the finish bodywork and paint do all the bodywork.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Driving my poor '69 in Ohio road salt for thirty winters. But I had to have a car--and it was before I learned about winter beaters. I spent years on and off welding up all the rusty spots and then finally painting it in 2000. Still looks great after 11 years.

No regrets about getting rid of anything 'cause I kept it all. When I would take off a stock part, I'd keep the original carefully boxed up--including all the smog stuff from the '69. And I can return the car to stock very easily, leaving minimal traces of the previous mod. I even have all the expired license plates from both '02s.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite